Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marvel 22 conversion

dpeters8445

Doug,

I think Patrick Sweeney wrote an article on the various kits. About a year ago? Not sure where it sas published.

There is sonme info here on the forums too.

If you aren't using it for bullseye, reliability will be more important than half-inch accuracy at 50y. I think shred has talked about that some.

I always thought the Marvel looked like the deal of the century - except for the $50 magazines.

Any 22 pistol is going to run you $250 and up new. Most of them will need "fixing" to be as accurate as the Marvel.

$691 from Volquartsen:

Stingray.gif

I've seen more than a few Mk II conversions in the $1K+ range. Marvel looks like a heck of a deal to me.

I have had one since they came out. Couple of things to consider. They go on about any 1911 frame, even ones with ramped bbl cutouts, since the ramp is on the bbl. in the Kit. Dont bother trying to get reliable hits running a 15lb mainspring though, 17lb is the lowest I would run.

Marvel designed them to run with CCI standard ammo. It is a little more expensive, but blazer .22s are cheap, same profile, and good priming. The warmer the load (CCI minimags are great) the better, usually. They need to be cleaned about every 200 rounds to be reliable, depending on ammo used. I still havent made it through every match with out a malf, but that was with a case (5K) of Blazer. I am going to shoot CCI Minimags this year at matches.

It is cheaper to buy the Metalform ace mags from a dealer or Metalform than from Marvel or Brownells. Buy as many mags as you can afford and then two more. You will thank yourself later when you are loading them.... ;)

Do buy the mag loader, and extra recoil springs from Marvel when you buy it, and dont lose the tool that they send with the kit. You will have to experiement to see how tight to tighten the guiderod when assembling the kit. A good oil like FP-10 or Militec is necessary on the rails. Slide GLide does not belong on the Marvel....

I love my 22/45, but it aint a 1911. I can put it on any of my match lowers and practice cheaply with it all day long, and not get tired. It is the shit, and I used to have a Ciener and thought it was good. This blows it away, and Marvel is great to work with and dealt with my many questions.

Dont expect it to work 100% with cheapo crappy .22 ammo. If it does you are lucky! Hope this helps and IMHO it is worth every cent. Now, If I could afford the STI .22 mags.......

I have 3 Marvel Unit 1's. Two of them are on dedicated Caspian frames that Tommy Abernathy built for me and all of them run 99.9%, (We all know that 22's are a little finicky). I shoot CCI Standard Velocity ammo in two of them and Wolff Match Target in the other. I buy magazines from Marvel because they have been tuned to their spec. I would not have any other magazine. For what I have seen the folks at Marvel are willing to help if you do have a problem, so if you are having problems call them. It would really surprise me if they don't help. ;)

my marvel was a little finicky on ammo, till i noticed some was more dirtier than others, rem bulk box worked the best for me. however bob marvel also opened up the match chamber for me, it still shoots twice as accurate as it needs to, i've shot the long range bank of targets, used for team challenge with it, (no, that doesn't include the little 1.5" targets)

Well, I just ordered a unit 1 with 4 mags. I 'll update in 6 weeks when I get it.

Question for anyone that is using one of these units with a scope. What is better, the scope mounted to the rail on the slide, or the scope mounted to the frame? I plan on mounting the scope on my STI frame the has a frame mounted scope mount, but if need be I could use my other Limited gun STI frame and use the slide rail mounted scope mount. But if I go the rail mounted slide mount I would have to buy a new C-more with the weaver mounts.

For those of you using a frame mounted scope mount. When you swap out the convertion kit with your other top end Does the scope need to be resighted in?, or is the point of impact pretty close.

Thanks, Doug

The secret (which Marvel will tell you if you ask) is that the Unit 1 will run without any rail at all on it. In fact mine runs more reliably like that because there's more room for brass to get out (I was having a wierd jam that Bob told me how to fix, but I hadn't bothered to do).

Point of impact from swapping top ends if you have a frame-mounted scope does change considerably.. you'll need to re-sight-in. Swapping Marvel rails on and off, POI doesn't change much at all.

Two of them are on dedicated Caspian frames that Tommy Abernathy built for me and all of them run 99.9%,

Philip,

Are they on Caspian hi-caps or singestacks? Just curious because I'm trying to get a Caspian hi-cap to work with a Unit 1 and I'm not having good luck....

Are you using magazines from Marvel?

Have you call Marvel to see if they can help you with your problem?

I'm using singlestack mags with a Caspian hi-cap conversion kit to allow the use of singlestack mags. It seems as though my issue is the ledge Caspian hi-caps have that prohibits overinsertion of mags; that ledge is hitting my Marvel singlestack mags even though 38 Super, 40 & 45 singlestack mags insert just fine. I intend to take a grinder to a Marvel singlestack mag in an effort to rectify the problem :o