Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you clean your 930 JM ?

mwc5

Just got mine about 30 days ago and so far it functions OK -

BUT - the mag tube shell follower seems really "finiky" - when practicing loading, the follower hangs up in the tube too often, but it does NOT do this with live fire.

So I'm wondering if the above may be from dirt or build up in the tube ?

My factory spring got out of shape from several teardowns and I replaced it with a Nordic (re-shaped both ends), and yes, I have polished the follower and smoothed the inner edges of both the mag tube and extension.

Do you guys clean the gun frequently or can they go 4-500 rds without causing any of the above issues ?

THANKS for any input !!!

As far as cleaning, maybe every few hundred shells.

Suspect reason for follower hanging up is poor match at the junction of the mag tube screwed in to receiver and the Nordic extension where they screw together. If you take out spring and follower and shine a light down from receiver while looking down tube from front (MUST make sure firearm is unloaded first, not that anyone on this forum would not) you will see the fixed part of the mag tube. Edge is probably pretty sharp and can catch the follower. Try dropping it down a few times. If so, then you can file and polish or dremel the offending sharp edge so you end up with a smooth transition and no hangup of follower. Reason its not an issue when live firing is probably because of all the recoil and inertia of shells during live fire.

Would suggest a complete teardown, cleaning and fluff and buff, since the gun is pretty new. The gas piston and tube it rides on (mag tube) often come with grease/grunge from the factory, no extra charge.

Search the SG forum for lots of info on the JM930. Glad yours is functioning well as they have a mixed history. Took some work, but mine runs well also.

A good summary thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192975

Edited by mpom

Use powdered graphite in your mag tube, I pour some on the follower and then put it in the tube without the spring. Tilt the shotgun so it runs to each end of the tube until it does so freely and without and hitches.

Before each match, and after any match where I fire slugs- so only a handful of times a year.

The mag tube spring is catching at the extension junction. I finally gave up on trying to keep it from sucking and bought an RCI 1 piece tube on sale. It's never hung up since.

Also, I clean the mag tube (where the gas ring rides) with IOSSO paste until it's basically mirrored. That definitely helps the action stay smooth and consistent.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

I am also OCD about cleaning my guns, so I clean them after I shoot them no matter the round count. While cleaning it, I put the gas piston in carburetor cleaner while I clean the shogun. I also polish the mag exterior with white diamonds polishing compound to a mirror finish. I barely lube the piston and mag exterior with fire clean, and apply liberal amounts of Mobil 1 inside the action. Fire control group is just slightly lubed with fireclean in contact points.

Tito

One more thing, I bought a Nordic follower and it resolved all hang-ups, but reverted to the factory follower when I added the XXL cap, since the 10th round was hard to insert and was giving me loading problems. I beveled the leading edge of the factory follower similar to the Nordic and that solved the hangups. Then has to grind down the end of he lifter, welded by crums, to clear the follower. After beveling the leading edge it sticks out further.

Tito

Did the Nordic follower as well, and ended up losing a round capacity, as mentioned above. So cut off around a half inch of back section, smoothed and beveled, so back to 9+1, no hangups.

+1 on polishing mag tube where piston lives, as it makes cleaning much easier.

I don't believe that 930 need to be cleaned as often as some would have you think. This gun came in to have the loading port opened and the lifter welded. It was running just fine on light target loads, not to say that I think you should run your gun as dirty and dry as this one was but its proof that they will run like this.

1A303667-C3CD-470E-95DB-4CA1B56CA7B3.jpg

C535FE15-F2CD-45E3-B1EF-FF4CDEB293D2.jpg

Edited by Tiwaz

I don't believe that 930 need to be cleaned as often as some would have you think. This gun came in to have the loading port opened and the lifter welded. It was running just fine on light target loads, not to say that I think you should run your gun as dirty and dry as this one was but its proof that they will run like this.

I know they will run for a while between cleanings, it's just that the Marine in me won't let it go that long.

1A303667-C3CD-470E-95DB-4CA1B56CA7B3.jpg

C535FE15-F2CD-45E3-B1EF-FF4CDEB293D2.jpg

WOW :surprise::surprise::surprise:

I clean mine after each range trip, simply because it's habit and I'm a bit OCD. The only exception is for when I'm leading up to a match.. I'll hit the range to make sure it's hitting right and for practice, but won't clean it until after the match.

I clean mine after each range trip, simply because it's habit and I'm a bit OCD. The only exception is for when I'm leading up to a match.. I'll hit the range to make sure it's hitting right and for practice, but won't clean it until after the match.

+1 on this

Range trip day or two before and then cleaned afterwards before they go in the gun safe. On the JM 930 I will use CLP to clean everything but on the entire gas system after it is cleaned well and looks shiny again it is rubbed almost dry before reassembly.