Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw/Drill Par times reference chart?

nitrohuck

Hey all,

So after finally settling on a load for my XDM 5.25 in 9mm I went out with my buddy today to practice draws.

It was our first day ever trying this sort of thing (I'm a complete newbie to pistol competition), and thanks to the iPhone shot timer app I was able to get a notion of what my times were.

Anyway, drawing from surrender, at 15yrds (on a 8x11" target) my fastest shot down range was 1.43 seconds, with I'd say 95% of them falling in the 1.5sec range.

Now my main question is, where can I find a chart of some sort that lists different practice drills and their target times to beat? I drew from surrender and shot in 1.43sec, great, so what does that mean?

I guess I am looking for a reference guide of some sort, something to say:

Draw From Surrender @ 7yrds:

< 1.0 seconds - Expert

< 1.5 seconds - Competitive

< 2 seconds - Moderate

2+ seconds - Novice

Draw From Surrender, Fire, reload, Fire (two shots):

{Insert times here just as above}

I suppose these are "Par times"?? (See how much of a noob I am ) I was watching this video here and would love to know, for instance, what the times to beat are for the drills this guy does:

**Edit - I cannot post links yet as a new member, but if you go to Youtube and search "Milspec Monkey" - it is the second video down titled Ronin Combat Strategies**

Thanks in advance for any and all help,

Lots of drills and par times coming out of Ben Stoeger's books.

Yep.

There were several drills that were laid out for a "standard" practice setup... (three targets a yard apart) and goal times laid out for each drill from 3 yards to 50.

There is also the same for the targets being spaced farther apart, and another aimed at those aiming for "B" class instead of just GM.

Im not going to post the charts straight out of the book.... I would advise you to get Skills and Drills.

Yep

There were several drills that were laid out for a "standard" practice setup... (three targets a yard apart) and goal times laid out for each drill from 3 yards to 50.

This.

Drop me a PM if you want some explanation about these drills and associated charts.

Yep

This.

Drop me a PM if you want some explanation about these drills and associated charts.

Heya Ben,

PM inbox seems to be full, or at least says you cannot accept messages at the moment,

Yep

This.

Heya Ben,

PM inbox seems to be full, or at least says you cannot accept messages at the moment,

My bad. Inbox is fixed. Fire away.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

So after finally settling on a load for my XDM 5.25 in 9mm I went out with my buddy today to practice draws.

It was our first day ever trying this sort of thing (I'm a complete newbie to pistol competition), and thanks to the iPhone shot timer app I was able to get a notion of what my times were.

Anyway, drawing from surrender, at 15yrds (on a 8x11" target) my fastest shot down range was 1.43 seconds, with I'd say 95% of them falling in the 1.5sec range.

Now my main question is, where can I find a chart of some sort that lists different practice drills and their target times to beat? I drew from surrender and shot in 1.43sec, great, so what does that mean?

I guess I am looking for a reference guide of some sort, something to say:

Draw From Surrender @ 7yrds:

< 1.0 seconds - Expert

< 1.5 seconds - Competitive

< 2 seconds - Moderate

2+ seconds - Novice

Draw From Surrender, Fire, reload, Fire (two shots):

{Insert times here just as above}

I suppose these are "Par times"?? (See how much of a noob I am ) I was watching this video here and would love to know, for instance, what the times to beat are for the drills this guy does:

**Edit - I cannot post links yet as a new member, but if you go to Youtube and search "Milspec Monkey" - it is the second video down titled Ronin Combat Strategies**

Thanks in advance for any and all help,

Shameless plug here, but I bought Ben's book "Champion Shooting: Guaranteed Results in 15 minutes a day: Vol.2." The book has an excellent training plan with time goals that give you an idea of where you want to be. If you have the desire to get better, but you are wondering what to do next...you will find this book to be invaluable.

since no one has answered it yet. a consistent draw and first shot time of 1.5 seconds (assuming you are hitting the chest A zone on a IPSC classic or metric target) is good. I'd say 'moderate to good'.

fortunately in comps you more often draw from the start position and then move to the first shot. so whilst having a sub 1 second draw and first shot is great it's only really helping out part of the time. a nice SAFE consistent draw and first shot somewhere between 1.2 and 1.5 is by no means slow. it's still worth working on, but only to a point at which you feel you can do it consistently and safely. I know some guys who continually practiced to get it under 1 second but then little 'oh-oh's' started to creep in and then ended up dialling it back to around 1.2.

sounds like one of bens books is a good idea to get some good info on par times etc.

Ben Stoeger has some videos available to buy online,

Got a copy of Skills and Drills thanks to an anonymous donor, it has literally everything I was hoping to find in its pages.

Been setting up tons of scenarios/stages and having a lot of fun with the drills. Finally have a little structure to my range trips, improvement within just a few range sessions has been remarkable, and dry fire practice has been a nightly routine.

First USPSA match is this Sunday in VT, stoked to put this all to the test!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep.

There is also the same for the targets being spaced farther apart, and another aimed at those aiming for "B" class instead of just GM.

Im not going to post the charts straight out of the book.... I would advise you to get Skills and Drills.

I ordered a copy yesterday, as well as the Dry Fire book. :) And ordered Brian's book today (Kindle version, so that one I can start reading tonight).