Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier requirements

DoubleL

Something came up the other day while talking about classifiers. The question was why do some local matches have classifier stages and others don't? I understand that in the past all classification updates were done by hand, which sounds absolutely insane to me, but now I hear USPSA is transferring to a more modern system for keeping record of classifications and scores. This sounds like a very good thing to me, I believe the difficultly in updating is what lead to a cap being placed on how many scores a club could turn in per shooter. Now I believe this cap is part of history correct? No limit now on how many scores per shooter over a year right?

Now this is just my opinion, but I am curious as to how many agree or disagree and why.

I believe that all level I matches should be required to have one classifier stage per match at all times in order to actual be called a USPSA match. I believe that if the match uses USPSA scoring and divisions and classes and rules.. What really separates an outlaw match from the real deal? Turning in official scores that's what.

I think that the more often a shooters ability is ranked against everyone else's the more accurate the overall rating system gets.

Wouldn't you love to see those sandbaggers out there have to tank a stage every match?

Again this is just my honest opinion. Want to shoot USPSA matches? Want to use USPSA rules, divisions and classes? Then turn in official scores.

What do you shooters out there think?

Classifier scores are updated today from EZWinScore. It's literally just another file to upload and takes all of 10 seconds to do it.

There is an additional charge from USPSA for Classifiers. I think it is roughly $3 per shooter. This may be the reason some clubs do not do classifiers in order to keep the costs down.

From what I understand, USPSA has a somewhat manual process of compiling the data then running it through an algorithm (which takes hours to do). In the old days, USPSA HQ did have to compile this data by hand, and then it was contracted through a company in the Seattle area, and now it is done in-house. Whether the HQ people are doing the calculations by hand or not shouldn't matter to a club and whether they have a classifier stage or not.

I agree with you that there "should" be a classifier stage for a USPSA match. We don't do them during our mid-week sessions, but for our Monthly matches we do include a classifier. I also know a few MD's and RM's that insist on a point heavy classifier for their Level II matches. If someone wants to tank a 160 point classifier stage in a Named match, go right ahead. The rest of us watch "Those guys" scores in matches like this. I'm sure every club has one or two of them.

Interesting points from all. And I too am sure that every club has a few of "those guys". That's not my main concern with this post though. I'm really more interested in how many clubs out there include classifiers more regularly now.

And what about the classifiers being required? Anybody have an opinion on that?

Interesting points from all. And I too am sure that every club has a few of "those guys". That's not my main concern with this post though. I'm really more interested in how many clubs out there include classifiers more regularly now.

And what about the classifiers being required? Anybody have an opinion on that?

Eh. In the Mid-Atlantic section matches have included a classifier stage at every monthly match for as long as I've been playing the game -- so for about 13 years now.....

Require? Nope -- I figure local market demand should take care of it. If the majority of shooters want one, then matches should respond.....

Clubs have to do 6 or 8 per year (or make a good faith effort, HQ understands a rash of bad weather, etc.) Previously you could only have one classifier stage per match unless it was a "special classifier match" like lots of clubs do once a year for new shooters or people switching divisions to get initially classified. Now there's no limit how many can be submitted... except you still pay the fee. It's $1.50 per USPSA member that you submit a classifier for, and there's also an activity fee of $1.50 per competitor when you upload the match scores.

Our club typically has a classifier stage every other match. (We have matches once a month.) In addition, we hold one special classifier match per year, with six stages. (Matter of fact, that is coming up in about two weeks.)

While I wouldn't be adverse to holding a classifier in each match, I don't see any reason to require it. Quite frankly, the classifier stages simply aren't as fun to shoot as other stages. In my opinion, we do enough classifiers so that people can both maintain their classification, and increase their classification if they wish. It takes awhile, but there are finally some other clubs around our where people can also shoot classifier stages, so among us all, people can get plenty of classifiers.

Just my opinion.

Quite frankly, the classifier stages simply aren't as fun to shoot as other stages. (Copied from above)

This is sort of where I thought this would head to. I had a short convo with a very good open shooter at one of the two local clubs available in my area, several other shooters in line to register that morning all agreed on the topic of classifiers.

The classifiers available don't really translate to the sport as it is actually played. A shooter can rip on a 6 stage classifier day and get his butt handed to him by C level shooters the next weekend. I find it amazing how different the classifiers are from the actual stages we shoot.

We have a classifier as one of the 6 stages every month. Granted, they aren't as much fun, but I think having a strong/weak hand or an accuracy-focused classifier can add some variety to the match. We usually set it up adjacent to a speed shoot and leave one of them open at the start of the match. Hopefully the speed shoot & classifier together take about as long as a field course, which keeps things from backing up.