Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN FNS Longslide

Mine was 6.5-7# stock.

I detail stripped the pistol and smoothed/polished ask the contact points I could identify.

After that, the trigger was at 5#. After a few months of use, the trigger is 4.5# when measured in the lower 3rd of the trigger.

I'm thinking the clipping the striker spring could get it down to the 3-3.5# range, but, I dint want to sacrifice any reliability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I agree. May want to buy several striker springs and experiment with clipping a coil at a time. Does anyone know the factory striker spring weight?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

FNS-9 Longslide. I love this gun. The trigger is awful.

Looking everywhere on the net, replicated the "smooth, polish, clip spring procedures. The trigger was still awful. Even cut the striker so there would be less movement for the sear to release the striker.

The trigger was still awful. I shoot my M&P 9mm Pro very well, but the trigger is just BETTER.

Then I had an epiphany. Modifying the "sear" was the wrong approach. The FNS uses a sear "ramp", kind of like a M&P, except it's an intermediate step to the sear release.

Anyway, I took the sear "ramp" out and cut a less aggressive ramp. Finally, A trigger that I can shoot.

Having done all of this, I will admit that the FNS sear still pushes the striker back before releasing the striker. (The M&P sear rotates out of the way.)

What boggles my mind is 5 years after releasing the FNS 9, and having Dave Sevigny modify, use, and win with it, the FN factory and Dave Sevigny seem completely uninterested in supporting this gun.

I think the FNS has better controls, better ergonomics, and better reload capabilities. The trigger SUCKS. (And I think mine had a 12 pound trigger.)

...What boggles my mind is 5 years after releasing the FNS 9, and having Dave Sevigny modify, use, and win with it, the FN factory and Dave Sevigny seem completely uninterested in supporting this gun.

I think the FNS has better controls, better ergonomics, and better reload capabilities. The trigger SUCKS. (And I think mine had a 12 pound trigger.)

This makes no sense to me either. They won't allow people to make parts or aftermarket kits for them and won't do it themselves. No idea why they refuse to allow people to enjoy their firearms. Took forever for people to get SCAR gear out and they seem like they just don't care about the competition crowd or even the end user in general. And it's crazy that they were one of the first companies to jump in head first in the 3-gun sponsorship and even fielded one of the biggest teams that was all over the 3GN series when it first came out. Just baffling that they wouldn't push to use that publicity to make themselves the premier striker fired 3-gun pistol.

Look at what Sig is doing with the P320. Tons of parts already, lots of upgrades and interchangeability. Several companies putting parts out for them, and they start out with a decent trigger. And they are going to be putting out a competition driven model later this year that was developed with their shooting team and looks awesome.

It feels like FNH thinks that whatever they put out is perfect and refuse to allow anyone to tamper with their masterpiece.

And as a post script. Could you show pics or do a more In depth write up of what you did to get your trigger better?

Edited by Akkid17

...What boggles my mind is 5 years after releasing the FNS 9, and having Dave Sevigny modify, use, and win with it, the FN factory and Dave Sevigny seem completely uninterested in supporting this gun.

This makes no sense to me either. They won't allow people to make parts or aftermarket kits for them and won't do it themselves. No idea why they refuse to allow people to enjoy their firearms. Took forever for people to get SCAR gear out and they seem like they just don't care about the competition crowd or even the end user in general. And it's crazy that they were one of the first companies to jump in head first in the 3-gun sponsorship and even fielded one of the biggest teams that was all over the 3GN series when it first came out. Just baffling that they wouldn't push to use that publicity to make themselves the premier striker fired 3-gun pistol.

Look at what Sig is doing with the P320. Tons of parts already, lots of upgrades and interchangeability. Several companies putting parts out for them, and they start out with a decent trigger. And they are going to be putting out a competition driven model later this year that was developed with their shooting team and looks awesome.

It feels like FNH thinks that whatever they put out is perfect and refuse to allow anyone to tamper with their masterpiece.

And as a post script. Could you show pics or do a more In depth write up of what you did to get your trigger better?

I agree with your thoughts and I believe they are spot on.

FNS-9 Longslide. I love this gun. The trigger is awful.

Looking everywhere on the net, replicated the "smooth, polish, clip spring procedures. The trigger was still awful. Even cut the striker so there would be less movement for the sear to release the striker.

The trigger was still awful. I shoot my M&P 9mm Pro very well, but the trigger is just BETTER.

Then I had an epiphany. Modifying the "sear" was the wrong approach. The FNS uses a sear "ramp", kind of like a M&P, except it's an intermediate step to the sear release.

Anyway, I took the sear "ramp" out and cut a less aggressive ramp. Finally, A trigger that I can shoot.

Having done all of this, I will admit that the FNS sear still pushes the striker back before releasing the striker. (The M&P sear rotates out of the way.)

What boggles my mind is 5 years after releasing the FNS 9, and having Dave Sevigny modify, use, and win with it, the FN factory and Dave Sevigny seem completely uninterested in supporting this gun.

I actually emailed sevigny performance about year ago asking if they did trigger jobs and they stated no.

If you truly had a 12 pound trigger, something was seriously wrong with your pistol.

Mine was about 7.5# right out of the box.

I did my own trigger job, just polishing up the friction points really, and ended up at 5#.

After shooting a bunch, it's about 4.5# now.

This is all with stock springs and the gun is 100% reliable with all ammo and primers I've tried. I usually use Winchester primers.

Also interesting, I got an FNS9 Compact and the stock out of the box trigger was clean and broke at 5-5.5#

So, I wonder if FN redesigned something (the striker is different, skelontinized sort of) or I just got really lucky with the compact.

Got my fns9 longslide (2013 production date) a few weeks ago, trigger out of the box was prob 6.5-7 lbs with a gritty break. Shot one match and a bit of practice in between and i noticed the trigger got a lot better on its own. Now it breaks at a nice crisp 5.5 lbs (prob 500 rounds thru it now)

They seem to need a break in period, im not touching the internals in this one to see how it turns out in a few thousand rounds

(Oh and gotta say, minus the factory sights, i luv these fn's)

Got my fns9 longslide (2013 production date) a few weeks ago, trigger out of the box was prob 6.5-7 lbs with a gritty break. Shot one match and a bit of practice in between and i noticed the trigger got a lot better on its own. Now it breaks at a nice crisp 5.5 lbs (prob 500 rounds thru it now)

They seem to need a break in period, im not touching the internals in this one to see how it turns out in a few thousand rounds

The trigger on mine broke in as well, I'm just bummed that I can't get some bring in the Apex ballpark. But it won't stop me from shooting it.

Also, I really like the sight picture on the stock sights, just wish it was a fully blacked out rear and fiber front. But with a little black sharpie and the girlfriends red nail polish I have myself a really easy to see front sight.

The trigger on mine broke in as well, I'm just bummed that I can't get some bring in the Apex ballpark. But it won't stop me from shooting it.

Also, I really like the sight picture on the stock sights, just wish it was a fully blacked out rear and fiber front. But with a little black sharpie and the girlfriends red nail polish I have myself a really easy to see front sight.

Warren makes some really nice sights for the FN pistols.

They are sold through sevignyperformance.com

http://sevignyperformance.com/products-page/fns-competition-sights/

886067_1152532311454139_2054795094177977

These are might with a Blaze Orange FO from TruGlo

Still no trigger kits for these guns? Shame. Was thinking about picking one up. The recent ones seem to have fairly decent triggers, but just not anything remarkable. The lack of an appreciable aftermarket keeps me away from these guns.

Still no trigger kits for these guns? Shame. Was thinking about picking one up. The recent ones seem to have fairly decent triggers, but just not anything remarkable. The lack of an appreciable aftermarket keeps me away from these guns.

Agreed. I know people say that the triggers smooth out into the 4.5-5# range, but I want 2-3# in my competition guns. Given the target market of this model, it's really disappointing that FN has not done much work on market acceptance.

Ive eyeballed the warren sights, just haven't shot it enough to justify getting them especially with the sharpie/nail polish doing a good enough job for now.

If I could get a clean 3.5 or even 4 pound trigger I'd be stoked. But it looks like I'll be in the market for a sig P320 when that target model finally comes out. If I wouldn't have gotten such a smoking deal on the fn I'd be a sig shooter right now. I think FN could take a few notes from sig on making their gun more desirable.

What small company would invest into an FN pistol platform? In two years the FN_9 will come out and they'll flop another onto the market and dilute their customer base even thinner.

Let's see; the FNP, FNX, FNS... I think the next letter will be G. The FNG-9. Someone mentioned a SCAR, what's that? :devil:

Seriously though, there have to be less than 50 people in the entire county who would pay good money for a quality trigger on an FN_, plus the investing the money for sights/holsters/mags to have a competitive setup. When there's no aftermarket, it's often because there's no actual market.

They've given up on the tactical FNAR, no one cares about a SCAR16; FN looked around and started cranking out AR15s with FN stamped on the side. There's no reason for a small company to gamble on FN platforms when there are others with much better looking longevity and larger civilian customer bases to make money off of.

• 1 year later...

Been reading through this thread.... It's only convinced me to stop "holding out" for decent aftermarket support. I need to sell this thing. Only reason I've kept it this long is because it's the only gun I've ever been awarded for performance at a match... At least it didn't cost me much. Sentimental value, yes, but I will get over that once I put the funds I receive toward a SIG MPX SBR. I've been wanting to play in PCC.