Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is anybody doing trigger work on these guns yet? Has anyone done their own. Looks very similar to the Glock with a few more parts.

Thanks

Impressions from those who have experience vs. Glock or M&P?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own all three, I shoot my glock 34 more than the MP Pro and FNS LS. I recently have been shooting the FNS LS , the only draw back to this gun is the lack of accessories . It shoots well, but needs trigger job, recoil guide rod and lighter recoil spring if you plan to compete with this gun. I have had one problem with a 4" FNS where the recoil rod fell out of the front of the gun. It is a bit of a design flaw. They press fit an aluminum piece on the guide rod to capture the spring. That piece sits towards the barrels locking lug. When the press fit piece gave out the guide rod just fell out the front of the gun, at this point the gun jammed. I had a hell of a time getting the gun apart. I called FNS and they sent me a new one. I have 3 FNS in 9mm 2 in LS and maybe 1200rds thru all three (not each) and this has only happened once. Its only a matter of time and there will be a good assortment of parts available for these guns.

This pistol really interests me... any thoughts on a comparison between the FNS LS and the M&P9l?

I like the ergonomics of the FNS is better but as previously stated, no accessories or a decent competition trigger options available. I own both platforms.

Edited by JMike

I like the ergonomics of the FNS is better but as previously stated, no accessories or a decent competition trigger options available. I own both platforms.

Both are a pain in the butt for me to get in the communist state of massachusetts... if you had to pick one?

M&P hands down!

Thats a pretty definitive statement, Thanks for the input

I currently am running a FNS 40L. Overall, I love the gun. But, as previously stated, it lacks any aftermarket replacement components. I managed to find a fiber optic front sight made by Hi-Viz. This gun definitely needs a trigger job. It feels very similar to the factory M&P trigger that was in my M&P 45 to me. It does appear to be a similar trigger to the M&P, so I was going to try an Apex trigger. Also, there are no mag extensions currently, but carbon arms is working on some and the word that I have received is that they ran into some kinks, but could possibly be released in the coming 1-2 months. ergonomically, this gun has been the best that I have owned. One last dilemma that I have encountered with this gun is the lack of a holster. I modified the Bladetech holster for my FNX 9 by cutting the lip from the bottom and allowing the slide to protrude from the bottom of the holster.

I did a trigger job on my FNS-9L

It is not too bad, if you are mechanically inclined. Not too dissimilar to the process to do a Burwell job on an M&P.

Here is a write up I did on another web forum:

=======================================

I think that due to the metal stamping and MIM process used to produce the parts, there can be some significant variation from pistol to pistol.
I know the Dave Sevigny did his own trigger job, including clipping a spring or 2, and got a 4# (I think) trigger.
Being adventurous (or dumb...?), I decided to attempt a DIY trigger job. I use the 9L is USPSA, so that is what I stated with.
When I got the gun, the trigger was a hair over 7#s. I had done a quick job with some sand paper on the safety block and the point of the sear that presses it. Just cleaning those 2 points up got the trigger down to 6-6.5#.
I wanted more...
I decided to convert the gun to Froglube, so I detail striped the whole thing and while it was part, I did a little polishing.
These guns contain a LOT of parts!
Or not... apparently I can't post images... or links...
Oh well

So, I have heard and read a lot of complaints about the trigger on the FNS pistols.

That is juxtaposed with some of the other things I have heard and read raving about how great they are...

I think that due to the metal stamping and MIM process used to produce the parts, there can be some significant variation from pistol to pistol.

I know the Dave Sevigny did his own trigger job, including clipping a spring or 2, and got a 4# (I think) trigger.

Being adventurous (or dumb...?), I decided to attempt a DIY trigger job. I use the 9L is USPSA, so that is what I stated with.

When I got the gun, the trigger was a hair over 7#s. I had done a quick job with some sand paper on the safety block and the point of the sear that presses it. Just cleaning those 2 points up got the trigger down to 6-6.5#.

I wanted more...

I decided to convert the gun to Froglube, so I detail striped the whole thing and while it was part, I did a little polishing.

These guns contain a LOT of parts!

20140912_201400_zps2wuednzh.jpg

It is not too hard to identify the points where parts rub against each other. One major point is the outside of the trigger bars that rub on the inside of the frame.

This is what the factory trigger bar looks like:

20140916_174657_zpsuxnx4wul.jpg

It has a "nice" black finish, but since is actually rides along the inside of the frame, the finish actually causes drag. Compound that with the fact the stamped steel is uneven and has very rough edges and you have a trigger pull that is not very smooth.

The trigger bar also rubs on the slide stop when the trigger is pulled, so the roughness here is very noticeable:

20140916_175446_zpsb3fy5spb.jpg

I filed, sanded, and polished on this piece until it looked like this:

20140916_210912_zpswflm8tqz.jpg

I also did what I could to polish the inside of the frame where the trigger bar rides. It is polymer and it was already pretty smooth, so I just used some 600 grit sandpaper and finished it up with some Flitz.

Edited by bobapunk

I also worked on the points of the slide stop that the trigger bag rubs against. Here are some "in-process" photos:

20140912_202027_zpsd49vewhs.jpg

20140912_202108_zps6itchtgd.jpg

Here is the firing pin block and the piece of the sear that depresses it. Both were smoothed and contoured with files and sandpaper before getting polished up:

20140912_202141_zpse5teaqzm.jpg

20140912_202216_zpsg31swiaq.jpg

I also did a little work on the disconnector and its engagement point on the striker assembly:

20140912_202201_zps5ama3afb.jpg

Finally, I cleaned up the channel that the striker assembly rides in as well as the channel in the striker assembly that the striker spring rides in.

I ended up taking another full pound out of the trigger, without clipping any springs or doing anything too radical with reshaping the sear or disconnector. I put 117 rounds trough it yesterday with no hiccups.

5 pound break (IPSC legal!)

20140913_001708_zps8ybcyywi.jpg

Thanks for reading!

IMG_7248_zps33058147.jpg

One other point that was left out of that write-up: check in inside of the striker for burrs. I filed the inside rim and polished as best I could with cotton swabs checked in a Dremel and a bit of Flitz. I think much the creep that is felt in the stock trigger is the striker spring rubbing on the inside of the striker.

So, Trigger Bar, Striker Safety Block, and the Spring Channel in the Striker are the 3 points I would hit first. After that, you can get into the Sear, Disconnector, and the Engagement Tab on the Striker.

Also, there are no mag extensions currently, but carbon arms is working on some and the word that I have received is that they ran into some kinks, but could possibly be released in the coming 1-2 months.

Not really kinks, but foot-dragging by FNH. We are proceeding with production, but they will be Carbon Arms branded instead of FNH branded basepads. Hopefully in December. Magwell and sights are designed and will follow, but not at a rapid pace. We need to see some more being used to justify the expense of bringing them to production.

I don't understand why people throw out BS lines like "It's only a matter of time before they take off", "The aftermarket will catch up", blah blah blah.

Didn't happen for the FNP, didn't happen for the FNX, didn't happen for so many other attempts at the combat Tupperware market and the FNS doesn't look to be such an overwhelmingly good option compared to the established industry that it's going to work out either.

Why jump on the underdog wagon when the underdog has nothing going for him?

There's a reason pretty much no one goes out and buys a Mitsubishi Mirage instead of its Chevy/Honda/Ford/Toyota equivalent. Same thing for the FNS.

Hell, didn't the Belgians even pick the M&P over the FN a while ago?

I started shooting competition with an FNX, and if we compare a stock gun to another platforms stock gun (M&P, Glock, etc.) I wasn't losing anything functionally to the other platforms. Its when I decided to look into the aftermarket that I decided the FNX was not destined to be my long term comp gun. The other companies do a lot better job advertising to a broader audience and there's already a lot more of those guns in people's hands, I don't think the FN guns stand a chance of catching up in the aftermarket just because the level of demand will never be there. Nothing wrong with the guns at all, they where just late to a crowded table. FWIW I swore off trying to make plastic duty type guns into comp guns anyways, figured it made sense to have a gun built from the ground up for competition.

I think FN pistols "could" be a player in the competitive shooting sports but as I've have always stated, their management needs to pull their collective heads out of their posteriors for that to happen.

@KSwift

Comparing the FNP and FNX to the rest of the competitive polymer frames is somewhat flawed. Since production division is generally split between polymer striker fire and all steel DA/SA, the FNP and FNX really didn't stand a chance (mainly due to preconceived opinions). Nor were they marketed to the competition field.

FN only recently with the FNS has marketed the 5" model (and 4") to the competition world.

From my experience with the FNS the mag-well, magazine release, and grip are much more suitable for the competition field than a few of the leading striker fired guns. Again, that's just my opinion.

Though it's fun to buy every accessory out there to 'Enhance' our guns performance, do we really need all that extra crap.

Also, I don't believe there is a thing as 'to late to the table' for competition guns. Generally you will find most people WANT the latest and greatest thing out there.

Warren Tactical has sights for the FNS, what more do you need?

I need a coffee maker that fits on the light rail but I can only find them for M&P and Glocks. That's why they won't take off.