Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting in Open buy new or used? and other questions

dvc4you

As my eyes start to get older, I need to start thinking about open division.

I have been shooting IPSC and then USPSA since 1997, B classified (mostly due to lack of time to practice / dry fire)

I have decided I am going to shoot a 2011 and in 9mm major.

Should I buy a trubor to get me started or wait for an used gun to come up?

What dot size should I use?

Also, I have a Chip McCormick in 38 super which I shoot in IDPA (Colt top) so I have several mags including a 170 mm big stick and a 140mm. Can these mags be modified to feed 9mm (loaded long) reliably? What modifications are needed?

Thanks for the advice!

Should I buy a trubor to get me started or wait for an used gun to come up?

My humble opinion is that you should buy a used gun first. Use it to experiment on - learn what you like and don't like. That way, if you decide to get a new gun "custom" to your specs, you'll know what you want.

I'll defer your more technical questions to those with more experience with the gear - I'm relatively new to the platform too!

About that dot . . . I moved to open division for the same reason you are about to. It was either that, of give up the sport.

Oh yeah, the dot! I started out with a 3.5 MOA dot, After all, that is what I had been using on my 22 rim fire guns. But, last year a started running a Leupold Deltapoint with the 7.5 MOA delta (triangle). I discovered, in the first 30 minutes of live fire, just how wrong that little dot was for me.

Of course, you results may vary.

I am generally not a fan of buying used stuff. I bought a new gun when it came time for me to move to open. I even went so far as to order a custom gun for my first. Probably not needed but it's a good feeling to step to the line and KNOW your equipment is going to run.

I would go with the trubor and make little changes as you feel like it.

9MAJOR is the right choice as well

On the other hand a used gun should have the bugs worked out. I was the third owner of my first open gun though, finally worked out all the problems, it is a Trubor in 9mm major.

My second was a used custom gun by a well known builder, that only required load development and some getting used too. This is in 38 super.

Dots are personal, I started using a 12moa recently and couldn't be happier. Most run 6moa, I find a 12 easier to find and brighter.JMHO

I bought a new TruBor from Brazos - PERFECT. Brand new - I knew how many

rounds had been put thru the gun (zero) .. I knew if the gun had been subjected

to any abuse (zero). I knew how old the springs were (New).

You only get so many rounds thru a 9mm major gun before it breaks - get a new

one and you'll know what to expect.

Your .38 super mags will run fine if you load the 9mm Major a little long - 1.155 +

if they're SVI mags - if they're STI mags you should throw a spacer in there to take

up a little space. :cheers:

If you check benos forum and the USPSA classified ads you will find very good deals if you are patient. Guns based on a wide-body 1911 frame for less money than a new gun built on a compromise platform originally made for 9mm minor. For cheaper brass 9 Major loaded long in SV mags or Caspian Hi-cap mags can be made to work but will always have a significantly smaller envelope of reliable function.

If you go with a new gun or almost-new gun, something to be cautious of are new builders who started selling and heavily promoting very expensive guns just a few years ago, or builders who've been around and still don't have a stellar track record. True of any gun type but in Open especially, there is a huge difference between a builder who makes guns that work right the first time, and builders who "stand behind their stuff 100%". Biggest differences are: how many times you ship your gun across the country, how many stages you DNF, and how many seconds of time spent furiously racking your slide at matches. Some forums allow more dissenting opinions than others, for this Google can be your friend, just like if you're looking for reviews and complaints regarding a particular brand of refrigerator or lawn mower. HTH

Hello: I would try to find a used Tru Bor in 9mm to see if you really like shooting open. If not buy a new one from Shooters Connection. I use a 12MOA dot. I can turn it up for close hose stages and turn it down for tight shots. I also use a Cheely 90 degree mount. I would see if you can shoot an open gun at a match to see if you get along with them. Some can't stand the extra noise and blast. I love it. Have fun, they are great guns to shoot. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for all the replies, will keep an eye on the classifieds, in the meantime I have asked for some quotes on a STI GM in 9 major with the following mods:

- no recoil master, just simple guide rod

- relieve frame to be able to use new SVI mags

- slide racker

- trigger job 2#

- Cmore 8 MOA click adjustment

Anything else that you think I should add?

Edited by dvc4you

IMHO, the GM is not worth the extra money - you can save a few bucks with the standard Tru-Bor.

And, I wouldn't bother with the quotes - I'd go directly to Brazos, and ask them for their full

package of tuning it - they did a fantastic job with mine -

If you really want a trigger pull that light - not sure anyone can get a TruBor that light???

Then, ignore rest of my post .... and go with what you said:(( :cheers:

Lots of open shooters at your club probably have guns that shoot fine but they've moved up to customs/new guns. They will probably let you shoot them.

And cause you know them you might get a good deal.

With that said I went with a new trubor cause I figured there was enough to figure out without thinking about the gun

Enjoy the ride

Thanks for all the replies, unfortunatelly this seems to be quite more complicated than Limited :surprise:

So I got a gunsmith that is willing to buid a custom gun for me, in a reasonable time.....and he asks me what do you want? Send me the parts....

So:

I now, I want:

- 9 Major (I leave my brass on the ground anyway)

- An Infinity small grip

- Being able to use infinity mags

- A slide racker

- aftec

- EGW fire controls

- Compensator?

- Hibrid?

Could some one share their knowledge of what else should I ask for a basic gun that will not hold me back down the road (remember just a B shooter not planning in becoming a GM anytime soon),

What slide Caspian or STI or SVI?

What compensator?

Barrel?

Thanks guys,

IMHO buy "NEW"... you will avoid all the headaches associated with someone's else used gun... I bought a "hardly used" STI steel master.. it took about $1000 and LOTS of trips to a gunsmith... I would recommend buying from either Dawson or Brazos... get the CRP model .. its ready to run right out of the box... (they make sure it runs)

Edited by cecil

Akai is way to go IMHO. Either Shay or Reid will spend the time with you on the phone and unlike many other builders each gun is built one at a time on a his mill by his hands. No CNC.

Florida NFA trusts