Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle malfunction diagnosis.

Therealkoop

Won this rifle recently. Tried shooting for the first time today and ran into some issues. It appears as though the cartridge is being inserted into the chamber at an incorrect angle. Each piece of brass is being shaved quite a bit and it looks like its casuing enough friction to stop the bolt.

If I lock the bolt back and drop it on a magazine using the release, it will bind 100% of the time. Sometimes the rifle will fire and cycle, but each piece of brass is shaved regardless if it binds the bolt or not.

Anyone ever see something like this before? Ive built all my AR's up to this point and have never really had issues.

post-37887-0-38868400-1396995966_thumb.j

post-37887-0-90838300-1396995972_thumb.j

Hate to have to say it, but that is the third DD like that I have seen in the past few weeks. In one case, it went back to DD and they said it was fine, but it still was not.

My thoughts exactly. There should be a 30 degree cone cut at the chamber mouth, with about a 1/32 radius breaking the edge between chamber and cone. If the barrel extension was the cause, the scrape would be much narrower, and usually in two places with a gap between. My guess would be that the scrape is on the bottom of the case as it feeds in. Try feeding out of the magazine in slow motion, easing the charging handle forward with the muzzle elevated and see if it still binds up, and where it catches if it does.

Tom

Okay ive made some progress.

if you are looking into the chamber from the rear of the rifle, it looks like the brass is catching on the left and right sides.

I replicated the issue, and got a decent picture. It looks like the case head is occasionally unable to lock into the bolt for whatever reasons, and its causing it to be inserted into the chamber on an angle. One of the first pictures I posted shows this somewhat, but these next pictures show much more.

High ejector? Tight extractor?

post-37887-0-97850800-1397018848_thumb.j

post-37887-0-25474500-1397018886_thumb.j

Edited by Therealkoop

Hit the bolt face parts with a thin lube like WD40 and work it in. See if there is any improvement with feeding. If not, just pull it apart to see if anything is gummed up or binding physically and relube with a proper oil.

Hit the bolt face-

Applying copious amounts of hammer now.

EDIT: Removed the bolt and disassembled. I removed the O-ring from the extractor and I was able to cycle 20 rounds by dropping the bolt without issue. About half of them still have a light abrasion on one side, the other half are good to go. Im guessing at this point it depends on what side of the mag the round is stripped from.

Edited by Therealkoop

Hit the bolt face-

Applying copious amounts of hammer now.

That's plan B! I was going to suggest the parts swap next. If the other BCG works, try swapping out just the bolt next, then just extractors if you can.

I still have a feeling the feedramp(s) may still be playing a role.

Okay I ran 140 rounds through it today and I couldn't get it to malfunction. My brass is also good now and doesn't show any signs of odd marks or wear.

I ended up taking .008 off the total length of the ejector button. It looked a little bit longer than every other bolt I have. It was flush with the face of the lugs, the others were slightly recessed.

I also removed the 0-ring from the extractor. I might put it back in now and see if it functions. I think the ejector was one of the largest factors and its length was preventing the case head from indexing in the bolt correctly.

I had the same problem with a bolt gun a while back. Stiller uses PTG parts and got a bad run of ejectors. They were all a little long. Maybe DD outsources parts and got a bad batch.

DD does not outsource much.

Interesting you mention a PTG bolt. I think I had the same problem in my "custom" Rem700 build. Took alot of fiddling to get ejection and extraction to work correctly. When was the bad run of bolts? Mine was about 18 months ago.

I had the same problem with a bolt gun a while back. Stiller uses PTG parts and got a bad run of ejectors. They were all a little long. Maybe DD outsources parts and got a bad batch.

DD does not outsource much.

Interesting you mention a PTG bolt. I think I had the same problem in my "custom" Rem700 build. Took alot of fiddling to get ejection and extraction to work correctly. When was the bad run of bolts? Mine was about 18 months ago.

My Stiller action was from 3 years ago. Wouldn't feed at all out of the mag. I called stiller and they told me to look at the ejector and see if it protruded past the bolt face.....it did. They took my address and had a replacement in the mail the next day. I kept the other one and could shorten it up to use it in a bind.