Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Selecting a Pistol

Saleen43

I'm new to sport shooting with pistols (I've always been a hunter and shotgun shooter) and want to start shooting pistols more, and probably get into IPSC and I've always liked the 1911 series and the open class also appeals to me. What is a good 1911 pistol that many aftermarket mods can be added to (like scope, compensator, etc.) that is relatively inexpensive (not like the $1000-$2000 guns)? Also, where can you get it and the aftermarket parts for it?

Would the S&W 1911 be good for this purpose?

Thanks,

Mike

If you are considering open parts start with a para, later you will have a high cap that you could send to a gunsmith and have comp installed.

But basically anything for open is very specialized and therefore pricey.

If you want to go open though you don't want to start with a single stack in any manner.

You may have a difficult time meeting all your requirements. 1911 type, open class, and less than $1,000.

Just a few thoughts:

Put off going into open class until you get a feel for the sport. Buy an inexpensive single stack 1911 (there are many varieties and they are all pretty good).This should cost you less than $1,000. Buy some mags and a cheap holster and you can still start shooting matches for <$1,000.

If you want to start with a double stack for the feel try a Para Limited model and you still could get by for less than $1,000 if you shop well.

Attend a few matches and be sure you like it before you jump in with both feet. Once you are attending matches deals on open guns will, no doubt, present themselves if you catch the bug like the rest of us.

To find a local match go to www.uspsa.org and use the clubfinder. For accessories and even whole guns try www.shootersconnection.com

Thanks. Great thought. I don't know too much about the pistol sports so... Could I get a 1911 and shoot something like L-10 or some other class for a while then modify my gun and shoot Open-Class then? Would that Para you mentioned work for this?

EDIT: Could I use a gun like this for a non-open class and then change it to use in open? Para 1911

Contrary to many gun writers, there really isn't a single gun that will do everything.

Para makes a pretty good product, I haven't tried the LDA but I've heard it's a decent gun.

For competition shooting however, especially the divisions you are considering, I think you will want a traditional, single action 1911 style.

If you choose to shoot Limited or Limited 10 you can probably meet your budget including mags and equipment. You'll have a tough time doing that in Open division.

I'd go with a Para P-16 in .40 cal for limited, you can probably find a used STI in your price range also.

If down the road you decide to shoot Open, you could get a new top end for the Para or STI but more likely you'll want a new gun in .38 super or the like.

If you're new to competition shooting, you may not know that Open division is also going to require reloading equipment. You'll probably start reloading anyway if you get at all serious about the sport. But that is another fairly large investment needed for Open.

Whatever you go with, you'll be happy. It's a great sport, welcome to the game.

The types of 1911 based gun options have been discussed in exhaustion. Get warm and fuzzy with the search function and you can read for days...

In addition, to find a gun that fits your needs and will come somewhat close to your budget you will need to find a used open blaster for a song!!! But if you look in the right places some times a super deal can be found.

BUT,,,

Don't buy anything until you have talked to and handled/shot a few competitor's blasters. Don't waste a little bit of money when a little more would make a huge difference.

My .02

Saleen,

I will echo alot of the advice here. Start with a single stack in say L10 and shoot for 6-8 mos before you do anything else. This should give you enough exposure/experience to better judge what gun mods you need/want and what other divisions you would like to shoot. The S&W 1911 should work fine for this purpose. I just bought a barely used one for $500. Top of the line 10rd mags (6 or 8 of them) with a holster and magpouches can be had for around $250. With 2 cases of factory ammo you are shooting for under $1000.

Good Luck, Craig

I have it narrowed down to a few different guns (I still really like the 1911) and probably won't go for Open Class. I assume I can find all the regulations for limited and L10 on these forums? I think that's it. Thanks.

-Mike

EDIT: what type of holster should I be looking for? links (even of just pics) would help.

in all honesty your asking to buy a ferrari at a volvo price. i agree i am blunt on this but i won't pussyfoot around.

expect to put 2500 into a competitive open class pistol.

if you want to get into the sport break into limited or limited 10. having one gun and then turning it into an open gun would NOT be smart in a single stack gun. so that just leaves double stacks, which is a para, no where near the quality of the STI's

To get started for under a grand i would go with either a para, or better yet a springfield single, or other single stack, then you'll have a good gun. Para's are problematic at best. pick your caliber 40 will be cheaper than 45 in any gun. 9mm is cheapest if you don't reload, but scored only as minor.

before i go any further, what are your goals? do you want to come in and dominate the sport, do you want to have fun shooting a carry gun. What would your ammo budget be?

what your asking for (a gun that can be built into an open gun for under 1000) is not going to happen realistically, you just won't be happy with how things would turn out and end up wasting a lot of money.

About my goals...Most of all I just want to have fun with it but I would eventually like to get very good at it and start winning matches.

Ammo Budget...we'll see how much money I have left in my budget (as much money as I can put aside up until I buy my gun) after a gun, mags, and a holster but I might end up investing in a reloader. Otherwise, I'll just buy ammo cases. Heck, I live 15-20 minutes away from Cabela's (which is probably where I'll get my gun)

I didn't know anything about the cost of this sport when I started asking. Open Class sounded cool but I didn't know the price. That idea is now out the window. Limited or Limited 10 sound good. I've narrowed it down to 1911's and Beretta's and am just doing some research.

-Mike

Ammo Budget...we'll see how much money I have left in my budget (as much money as I can put aside up until I buy my gun) after a gun, mags, and a holster but I might end up investing in a reloader. Otherwise, I'll just buy ammo cases. Heck, I live 15-20 minutes away from Cabela's (which is probably where I'll get my gun)

You must reload. The cost difference is so great that the reloader pays for itself very quickly.

Flex wrote: "A solid single-stack 45 1911 would suit your purpose. Quite competitive in Limited 10. Springfield would be a fine choice. I don't think you will lose any matches by using an inexpensive Kydex holster either."

Second that. Maybe consider a Kimber as an alternative - one with a magwell would be good. Do not get seduced by race holsters; Kydex & lots of practice will beat a novice with a race holster every time; technique plays a larger goal than one might think in this game. Its all about practice & dedication.

D.

Kimber puts out a good 1911 with all of the stuff you'll need to start.

A couple IDPA guys I know shoot a Kimber in 9mm. Kydex holsters are cheap and Win 9mm can be had for $10 at Walmart until you mass a pile of brass. Then get a Dillon and go nuts. Decent Mags can be found too.

It won't score major in IPSC but you'll learn to shoot A's which we all need to do more of anyway! :D Might not be a bad way to go.

Para LDA's a good too and the triggers have gotten better since I bought mine and some 'smiths are working with them now. Had a P18.9 Limited in 9mm that was used for Production. Nice but the 10 round mags blew. Now that you can get "normal" mags. Mags are still about $40 or so.

Then down the road you'd have mags to build a Para 9mm Open gun. Or get a Para P18-9 with the single action trigger. Or a P16 in 40 or whatever.

Try going to a range that has the pistols for rent and find one YOU do well with. Bottom line, pick one that feels good in your hand, one that you shoot well and shoot the crap out of it.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here.

A Glock 17 will shoot cheap 9mm, start in Production division, the gun will be competitive. With a decent belt holster, mags and mag holders you could be in the game for about $600-650.

If you never get into reloading you are still shooting pretty cheaply.

If you stick with our sport you can turn the G17 into an Open division gun, sell it and get a 1911 style Open gun, or just keep it and pick up a nice deal on a used gun.

There are some petty cool looking G17 based Open guns being built, you can find some in our picture gallery. I've never shot one myself, but I am drooling.

If you decide to not shoot anymore you could get most of your money backfrom a stock G17.

Welcome and good luck.

"Buy a 9mm so you can shoot for cheap" is the best advice here by far since you don't reload (yet).

Any of the major makes that hold a minimum of ten rounds in the magazine will be fine, whatever you like.

Avoid the really cheap guns (Hi-point comes to mind).

Heck, just grab your Dad's Glock and go shoot a match. I can almost guarantee your perception will change by at least 90 degrees....

It's the most fun thing I do, well at least in the top 3. :)

If your goal is to have fun and not be out a lot of money start with production.

It is the cheapest way to get started and you are more likely to be up against other beginners at your local range. Plus all scores are minor so 9mm will be as good as anything and again it will be cheap.

If you really want to shoot with a 1911 then buy a nice $700 or so single stack .45 and shoot limited 10.

If you take your time and find a good gun shop/smith in your area,

you can get a para p16 in .40 blue standard gun for $600 or less.

then you start out with a double stack, can shoot limited, or limited 10.

and there are plenty of aftermarket parts.

just my .02

Now I'm torn between getting a pistol and saving for an Elk and Mule Deer hunt. I'm more of a hunter so I think I might go with the hunt and possibly add some stuff to my dad's Glock 23 if I want to shoot. It would only cost me about $75 for a scope mount and holster. I could buy a Fobus holster, a mount to put on the rail, and I already have a C-MORE type red dot that is good. Just have to get mags after that. My true passion is hunting but shooting sounds fun so we'll see.

my advise would be buy something you can shoot cheap use THAT gun until you make minimum A most likely Master in that division.

CZ is making some very good guns very reasonable.

GLock... eh. i have my issues with them they don't handle quite the way i like.

Beretta- Awesome reliable gun. the Elite 2 is the most competitive but if you have small hands the elite 1A is a great gun

Kimber- Very good 1911 not great sport politicians. (don't contribute as much)

i'd prefer springfield or STI IMO front strap checkering is needed on whatever model y ou get and the STI trojan is a very good value.

S&W is also a very good 1911 don't over look the used police trade in 5906 with a trigger job for production.

No offense to anyone thats just off the top of my head.

Honestly fobus holsters suck for competition. Uncle Mikes are awesome and so are a lot of other injection molded holsters..

lets keep the discussion to a gun for now though.