Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lots of Primers

Trini

I was in Buckeye Outdoors (Hebron, Ohio) two weeks ago, and saw 75,000 CCI 500's. They also had, I'm guessing, a total of 50 ~ 60 pounds of powder. You know, that powder that no one is looking for. :blush:

I found that by getting on Widener's email notification list that I set myself up(luckily) to get Titegroup last year: 4 # 8/21 and 8# 10/16 when I could find no powder anywhere.

In 2013 I had been getting SP primers from MidWay but it dried up late last year and I had to rely on Widener's, again thru email notification: WOLF SPP 5K 10/16 ; WOLF LPP 2/26 3K. They still have most WOLF's in current stock, the cheapest around. I find Wolf to be the same quality as CCI and Federal(impossible to find) though I know many feel Wolf are of inferior quality.

I guess it comes down to luck, patience and time to get anything like this but Widener's email notification system, unlike some others, does seem to work.

A further point of info is that I walk thru WalMart sporting (several) every several weeks and I can comment that there are plenty of rifle and shotgun ammo's available but rarely any 9mm lean amounts of 40 S/W, 38's and 45's. It looks to me like the ammo market is tightening up again though not to the extent as before. The range that I use has plenty of all ammo in 1K lots as both reloaded and commercial new as ranges have priority on the market I am told.

Cheers,

Chuck

Is there a "best" go to primer? I mean is cci better than federal, win, etc? Or are they all created equal? In other words, just buy whatever is in stock?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Is there a "best" go to primer? I mean is cci better than federal, win, etc? Or are they all created equal? In other words, just buy whatever is in stock?

The answer is simple: "it depends."

Talking to my supplier a few weeks ogo, his distributor has pallets of primers. Powder is scarce and will get worse.

I have been hearing the same thing, from two retailers . . . powder supplies are going to get worse, not better :blush:

Powder is scarce. However, I'm in olathe, ks and there is a LGS that was once owned by hodgdon and the store is still pretty tight with hodgdon. I scored 16lbs of CFE pistol there last week! Still no titegroup though.....

"Depends" is right as someone else posted.

Federals are generally the softest, then Winchester (or maybe Remington?), followed by 'the rest.' Tula/Wolfs are often commented to be on the harder side.

I've got a list of all cup thicknesses somewhere, but if you're running lightened firing pins, striker, springs, etc., you're going to want whatever you're sure your gun will fire 100%...which isn't always the case with the harder/thicker primer cupped primers.

I'm easy - I don't have a gun sensitive to harder primers, so I'll use 'em all...so far, anyways. :goof:

And people wonder what happened to all the primers that guy bought the entire country DAM. That got to be close to 1million in tula primers alone.

Bah - a quick case count shows 'only' 400-500k. ;)