Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle rise open glock

Keepkool

When comparing a properly tuned open Glock shooting appropriate major power factor ammo to an experienced production shooter with his G34, I see little difference in muzzle rise. At minor power factor, a glock shouldn't jump a whole lot, so aside from the red dot and ammo capacity, do open shooters really have much of an advantage?

Was this you shooting the guns or just watching? An open gun that is indeed tuned properly and fed the right ammo will in most cases not rise much if any at all. Advantage to open? Absolutely. But you have to be exponentially faster in open to keep up.

aside from the red dot and ammo capacity, do open shooters really have much of an advantage?

What I hear you saying is that a Glock with a comp shooting major is not any flatter than a Glock shooting minor without one right?

Assuming that's true they have the advantage of Major scoring, unlimited trigger mods, but the dot and the capacity are the biggest advantages in Open.

I used to shoot a Glock 31 357 sig in open. It shot great with 7.4 grains of longshot and 124 grain Xtreme fp. Fps average was 1370. I was using a SJC 11 port 9 major comp that worked very well, the gun was soft shooting. It did have more muzzle rise than my STI in 38 super, but it was very light so not much recoil absorption. The compensator on the Glock had quite a bit of erosion in the first chamber and was actually slightly bulging after 1 season of

shooting. The SJC comp is aluminum which is also what the Carver comps are made out of so don't expect it to last like a steel comp, just something to consider.

post-52129-0-87712000-1438655081_thumb.j

When comparing a properly tuned open Glock shooting appropriate major power factor ammo to an experienced production shooter with his G34, I see little difference in muzzle rise. At minor power factor, a glock shouldn't jump a whole lot, so aside from the red dot and ammo capacity, do open shooters really have much of an advantage?

Was this you shooting the guns or just watching? An open gun that is indeed tuned properly and fed the right ammo will in most cases not rise much if any at all. Advantage to open? Absolutely. But you have to be exponentially faster in open to keep up.

My comment comes only from observation. I have never shot an open Glock, just seen them. As a mechanical engineer, I am fascinated by the concept of an open Glock shooting major. A home brew open Glock looks like a fun MacGyver project. I see guys shooting well with those things and it seems like they are getting away with something highly unorthodox, giving a big middle finger to the open shooters who spent $5,000 on their equipment. Granted, no matter how much work you do to the Glock trigger, it will never be like the single action in a 2011, etcetera, but it appears that some people still shoot an open G17 really well. It seems so naughty.

As I was mulling this over, I considered the fact that there are a lot of good production shooters out there who dominate mediocre open guys with more advanced equipment. Could it be that excellent shooters (like KC Eusebio) just make open Glocks look cool? Would these guys shoot just as well in production with a regular G34? Or, do the open modifications on a glock actually allow a given shooter perform at a significantly higher level?

A proficient production shooter will hold his gun in such a way that the muzzle does not flip up as the slide reciprocates. He must track the front sight as it moves, but the muzzle should not bounce as it would with a 10 year old girl who failed to grip the gun securely. In fact, the slide movement I see on a good production shooter's gun looks a lot like the slide movement I see on an open Glock (again, as an observer).

So that's why I asked my question. I am coming from an ignorant, but curious perspective.

What I hear you saying is that a Glock with a comp shooting major is not any flatter than a Glock shooting minor without one right?

Yeah, pretty much. I kind of hope that I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like to me as an observer.

And open Glocks done right look super flat to me, much like a good 2011, so I must be missing something here.

Edited by Savagesweat

I used to shoot a Glock 31 357 sig in open. It shot great with 7.4 grains of longshot and 124 grain Xtreme fp. Fps average was 1370. I was using a SJC 11 port 9 major comp that worked very well, the gun was soft shooting. It did have more muzzle rise than my STI in 38 super, but it was very light so not much recoil absorption. The compensator on the Glock had quite a bit of erosion in the first chamber and was actually slightly bulging after 1 season of

shooting. The SJC comp is aluminum which is also what the Carver comps are made out of so don't expect it to last like a steel comp, just something to consider.

MrPostman, on a slightly different topic, how well did the frame-mounted microdot work when compared with a full size C more slideride? Is it much harder to pick up the dot with a smaller window?

I get what you're saying, but while KC Eusebio can beat many Open shooters with a G34, I don't think KC/G34 can beat KC/Limcat Open gun. I've shot a Open G19 once which I found to be pretty quick and enjoyable to shoot at minor, but when I loaded it with my major rounds (which definetly wouldn't make major in the short G19) it was very hard in the hand and felt like it was coming apart.

You may get into Open for a smaller investment going to Open Glock route, but they seem to depreciate more than 2011s, so it may actually cost you more to shoot one. For example if you build a Glock for $2,000 and after a season it's worth $1,500, it cost you $500 to shoot it for that year, but if build a 2011 for $3,000 and after a season it's worth $2,800, it only cost you $200. Actually, for guns built by famous gunsmiths who have a 6-12 month backlog, a used gun may fetch as much as a new one from a buyer who doesn't want to wait.

Actually the smaller window on the Fastfire 2 did make it a little more difficult to pickup and the dot would rise out of the lens during recoil due to the lens height only being 16mm verses the 29mm on a CMore. If I had to do it over again I would use a Cmore instead of the minidot.

Edited by MrPostman

• 2 weeks later...

tested the loads today ,

MG124+WAC7.0=171 PF

MG124+WAC7.2=178 PF

Comp did start working with the higher PF , but it did start feel like I was abusing the pistol, I am going to try and load up some 115 @ 7.0 of WAC and see hot that shoots. Thanks again

The .356 major pf bullet is abusive in any gun, under cut your trigger guard and it will lessen that perception :-)

How does undercutting the trigger guard help? I could see how it may get your support hand 1/16" higher but would that really make any difference?

• 2 weeks later...

I was fascinated by the SJC Frame Weight and before taking the plunge tested the concept with this gadget at 6.5 oz.

F9C2A903-42BD-4ED1-9496-6BFFD13EC11F_zps

Just a weaver ring and a socket. I am sold on the concept. I don't own one yet but for the open Glock shooter I believe this would be a great benefit. Some fitting on holsters are required though.

"Just buy an STI" , The problem with that is I live in the communist state of New York , where a open gun is consider an assault weapon . I had to build my Glock into one. I have a STI Edge in .45 that I may send out and have a 9mm open top made for it if the SAF act laws says in affect .

The STI barrel is not threaded, so not considered an assault weapon.