Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle rise open glock

Keepkool

I am running a Glock 34 with a complete Bob Carver setup with a KKM barrel and 10 port comp.and 11# recoil spring (recommended by Carver) I am running 124 MG with 6.8 WAC. bulllet is running app 1350 to 1370.(9mm major) I am still getting a bit of muzzle rise. I was wondering if I can push the bullet faster to get gun to shoot flatter. Let me know what I am doing wrong. Thanks in advance. Kevin

Edited by Keepkool

First and last time I shot an Open GLOCK it felt like a block of TNT went off in my hand! :roflol:

They are not the tamest of beasts.

Edited by Sarge

With my Carver, I had to up the gases like what Rick88 said. This is the only way you can control some of the flip you are getting. I am running a 34 and I use a 10 lb spring. IT does feel like you are taking a hammer and beating the crap out of your gun though. If you can find it try some 3N37 and see what you get.

tested the loads today ,

MG124+WAC7.0=171 PF

MG124+WAC7.2=178 PF

Comp did start working with the higher PF , but it did start feel like I was abusing the pistol, I am going to try and load up some 115 @ 7.0 of WAC and see hot that shoots. Thanks again

I use 95gr bullets with an un-publishable powder charge in my XDM open gun and the red dot never leaves the a-zone now. Won't make major, but I mostly shoot 3gun so that doesn't bother me. It does feel like a grenade going off in my hand, but it is holding up so far :)

Tom

tested the loads today ,

MG124+WAC7.0=171 PF

MG124+WAC7.2=178 PF

Comp did start working with the higher PF , but it did start feel like I was abusing the pistol, I am going to try and load up some 115 @ 7.0 of WAC and see hot that shoots. Thanks again

The .356 major pf bullet is abusive in any gun, under cut your trigger guard and it will lessen that perception :-)

I have a Glock open pistol built on a 17 frame, Carver "major" comp, SJC aluminum magwell, SJC 90 degree C-More mount, LWD barrel. I never did get a 9mm major load I was happy with. I tried 115gn and 124 grain bullets. Muzzle flip was noticeable but not severe. I mainly use it for Steel Challenge shooting with 145 power factor loads now.

For USPSA open division I now use a STI based race gun in 9mm major, a lot less muzzle flip at major power factor. The difference is night and day, the STI based gun is noticeably softer shooting at the major power factor compared to the Glock that is a "slap" to the hand. The top end on this race gun is ALL steel, the slide, barrel, and comp are steel making it heavy to help tame the shock wave that 9mm major creates.

I really like my Glocks, I have three at this time, but it seems to get the "Open" G17 to shoot flat takes some experimentation. Maybe if someone made a steel compensator and a heavier slide, the muzzle flip would be less.

"Just buy an STI" , The problem with that is I live in the communist state of New York , where a open gun is consider an assault weapon . I had to build my Glock into one. I have a STI Edge in .45 that I may send out and have a 9mm open top made for it if the SAF act laws says in affect .

Edited by Keepkool

"Just buy an STI" , The problem with that is I live in the communist state of New York , where a open gun is consider an assault weapon . I had to build my Glock into one. I have a STI Edge in .45 that I may send out if the SAF act laws says in affect .

Like others have said then, Keep tinkering with loads and get it as manageable as you can and call it good. If it's your only real option at the time I am sure you will iron it all out. :cheers:

I live in New York , where a open gun is consider an assault weapon .

You can't shoot OPEN in New York. Unless you feel that 10 round mags are "over the top".

Buy an STI, and shoot in Pennsylvania - they realize that a gun is an acceptable tool.

There are some great matches in eastern PA - and excellent shooters.

• 1 year later...

When comparing a properly tuned open Glock shooting appropriate major power factor ammo to an experienced production shooter with his G34, I see little difference in muzzle rise. At minor power factor, a glock shouldn't jump a whole lot, so aside from the red dot and ammo capacity, do open shooters really have much of an advantage?