Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Questions

Ok I currently have a Lee Loadmaster. It is a good press at least for me but its time to upgrade to a Dillion. I was really thinking go 650 because its auto indexing and I could add a powder check. Well after a lot of research and youtube videos I feel like the 550 will be a better choice because of simplicity. For me money was an issue but I can get well setup 550 with casefeeder for the same price I was going to get a bare bones 650 for. I feel the 550 with the casefeeder well eliminate the issue of forgetting to spin the head and causing a double charge.

My issue now is do I want the strong mount? I built a small reloading bench that fit my lee turret and lee loadmaster great and puts the press right were I want it. Anyone with a 550 how wide is it? Do you see any reason I wouldnt be able to mount it how I have my current presses mounted? It is recessed because it is in my two car garage and I park my car 6-10" away from it at night and I did that to keep my mirror from slapping it. The recess is 6" wide and 3" deep. Also would this mess with the loaded round bin?

0401140934_zpsx0m9qqml.jpg

0401140935_zpso9mojhxe.jpg

Edited by Trimmy

The 2x4 on the left side of the press will be removed when I switch to the Dillon. The Lee needed a lot support as it was very very finicky and could not move it all.

Ok so here is how I would setup each press

RL550

550 Casefeeder

Aluminum Roller Handle

9mm Dies

Strong Mount (if I cant mount how I do now)

Tool Holder

Total 895 before military discount and shipping

XL650

Strong mount

Roller handle

powder check

tool holder

9mm dies

821.70 before military discount and shipping

Always on the fence about the strong mount until this week a buddy needed to store all his reloading gear at my house for cleaning up the fire mess so I have temporary custody of a 650 on a strong mount among others for probably 4-6 months but the new setup will be awesome

I will be getting the strong mount for my 450/Modified (powder upgrade and roller handle) soon, you can mount the press back from the edge of the table until the handle hits the table on the downstroke( could set yours further back using that notch I bet) and they have hangers for loaded rounds back from the edge so no worries there the strong mount may cost you bench space but with the tray mounts you get it back up off the bench. without a strong mount the notch probably wouldn't work for your bin setup though you might with some work with a saw relieve a bit more of the bench to accomodate the bin, hard to tell from pic but looks like some surgery is needed, I'd go strong mount and put it up in the air.

And if you have to remove the press from the bench it will stand on its own, also the tool rack is a handy thing and I am also looking at the tray mount for bullets etc. I have long considered a setup with 1/4-20 bolts and "T-nuts" mounted in the bench or a bench plate drilled and tapped like the one RCBS offers so I can store the presses on a shelf and have my bench for other uses since I also have a current space issue and would probably solve your car mirror issue.

I would suggest keeping the support under the presses on the beefy side as you can really torque a bench when loading rifle calibers (resizing) on a 450/550 also you will have to support the extra weight of a full 650 (bullets,brass etc. adds up) and I prefer a "solid" feeling when I reload helps me with my rhythm

currently the 650 is dissasembled and the strong mount is laying in the box but I would estimate an 8"x8" footprint maybe somebody or the Dillon website would give you a proper footprint measurement.

Hope this helps,

John

Edited by Amerflyer48

Always on the fence about the strong mount until this week a buddy needed to store all his reloading gear at my house for cleaning up the fire mess so I have temporary custody of a 650 on a strong mount among others for probably 4-6 months but the new setup will be awesome

I will be getting the strong mount for my 450/Modified (powder upgrade and roller handle) soon, you can mount the press back from the edge of the table until the handle hits the table on the downstroke( could set yours further back using that notch I bet) and they have hangers for loaded rounds back from the edge so no worries there the strong mount may cost you bench space but with the tray mounts you get it back up off the bench. without a strong mount the notch probably wouldn't work for your bin setup though you might with some work with a saw relieve a bit more of the bench to accomodate the bin, hard to tell from pic but looks like some surgery is needed, I'd go strong mount and put it up in the air.

And if you have to remove the press from the bench it will stand on its own, also the tool rack is a handy thing and I am also looking at the tray mount for bullets etc. I have long considered a setup with 1/4-20 bolts and "T-nuts" mounted in the bench or a bench plate drilled and tapped like the one RCBS offers so I can store the presses on a shelf and have my bench for other uses since I also have a current space issue and would probably solve your car mirror issue.

I would suggest keeping the support under the presses on the beefy side as you can really torque a bench when loading rifle calibers (resizing) on a 450/550 also you will have to support the extra weight of a full 650 (bullets,brass etc. adds up) and I prefer a "solid" feeling when I reload helps me with my rhythm

currently the 650 is dissasembled and the strong mount is laying in the box but I would estimate an 8"x8" footprint maybe somebody or the Dillon website would give you a proper footprint measurement.

Hope this helps,

John

I have my small bench really braced up. About 4 full 8' 2x4's went into that bench and I can jump on it without it moving (I'm 6'3" and 210). The only issue I have is I use a fold up chair and it puts me right where I want to be with my bench being 33" off the ground if I use the strong mount It will put the press at 41.5" and that seems to high for me to be comfortable.

Just keep in mind the fact that the 550 case feeder is limited to the listed handgun calibers only, between 9mm and 45 Colt. Rounds taller than this won't feed, as the case must clear the bottom of the decap pin as the handle is being pulled down.

The 650 case feeder will feed full-size rifle cases as well as handgun cases.

Just get a Bar Stool and you'll be right about where you want to be. Just the Bar Stool, not the other stuff that normally goes in a Bar. :goof::goof:

It wont fit under my bench so I will have to hit it with my car haha

The Loadmaster primes on the downstroke. You have to get the 1050 to have a Dillon with the same feature.

Get the 1050.

No way, too expensive for me!!! I'm scrapping my pennies now to get what I'm getting. I am very torn between 550 or the 650

Just keep in mind the fact that the 550 case feeder is limited to the listed handgun calibers only, between 9mm and 45 Colt. Rounds taller than this won't feed, as the case must clear the bottom of the decap pin as the handle is being pulled down.

The 650 case feeder will feed full-size rifle cases as well as handgun cases.

I have tried the rifle thing not my cup of tea so for a while it will only be pistol. I am so torn between the 550 and 650 that I will probably end up with the 650.

I think I am probably going to go with the 650. I have read they are finicky but I have been loading with a Loadmaster and made that thing work so I know I can set the 650 up. I will just end up spending more money then planned and buying it in stages.

I haven't found the 650 to be finicky at all, I have loaded over 10,000 rounds already in 9mm, .223 and 300BLK. I'd recommend the 650 with case feeder and Strong Mount (order through Brian Enos, get the "As It Should Be" kit as well).

Before deciding, i'd redo your bench by adding another top to the existing one, with it coming out and over that external 2x4. This way you mount the 550 right on the edge and load sitting in the chair you already have. My 650's are on sm's the 550 was surface mounted till we redid the whole bench.

You may find that standing instead of sitting with the strong mount to be the ticket.

+1. When I set up my 650 I thought I would just use my bar stool and sit on it was I loaded....I found that awkward. I invested in some inexpensive rubber mats to stand on and load standing up. I get a better feel for setting the primers and the "feel" that you need to have when something doesn't go right when reloading. Any time something feels different when I am reloading I immediately stop to check it out. You lose some of that sensitivity if you are sitting down. Just my opinion anyway.

Please, do yourself a big favor and go XL650.

You also want the strongmount and bullet tray right away.

For added peace of mind: get the Powder check and powder measure low level alert (forgot the name)

In my opinion, if you need to part up the purchase, the casefeeder, dustcover and roller handle can whait.

Then you get a bulletfeeder and RF100 when the economy allows it.

Took me the better part of 6 years to make my 650 "As it should hawe been"

I would wait until I could buy the 650 with a case feeder. You are only talking about an additional $200.00. I also suggest that you go with the strong mount. I have them on all of my presses with the exception of my 1050 and it makes a big difference with the loader up higher. It is much easier to see every station etc. You can go without the Powder Check just look in the case at station 3.

I ended up order a Dillon 650 with the case feeder, roller handle and powder check. With my bench I'm going to try it without the strong mount. The additional 8.5" I just feel will make it uncomfortable for me. I plan to add a 1/2" steel spacer on the top of the bench and a small 1/4 steel spacer on the bottome so I can still use the loaded round bin and it will also make it rock solid with as stout as I built my bench. In the next month I hope to add a 40 and 45 conversion, tool head, and powder measure for both calibers so I only need another $500 lol

• 2 weeks later...

The worst part for me is my Fiance will not allow me to put this stuff in our spare spare bedroom that is empty right now so I have to make a cover for it all to keep it clean.

The worst part for me is my Fiance will not allow me to put this stuff in our spare spare bedroom that is empty right now so I have to make a cover for it all to keep it clean.

Word up!! Better get that kinda stuff sorted out before she becomes more than just your Fiance.

sounds like she is planning "lil shooting buddies" in your future together and is afraid of reloading room residual effects (primer and lead dust etc.)

My Dad had his setup in the garage until we were old enough to load and shoot with him then it all got moved into a big cabinet looking setup that when closed hid it all from prying eyes and kept it all from heat extremes and humidity

an old bed sheet cover and keep an eye on the smaller parts they will show any rust hoping to form first.

wishing you Joy and Happiness on all fronts

J