Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson base pads being destroyed by steel spacer in my 140 9mm STI 201

EngineerEli

Hey all,

So I have been shooting my new eagle for a few months now, and have been shooting a self tuned 140 mag made with STI tube, Grams guts, steel spacer and Dawson aluminum basepad. I use this magazine specifically as my first mag because it holds more than the rest, so it frequently gets dropped.

I just recently noticed that the steal spacer is apparently hammering into the aluminum base pad with every reload. There is now a very obvious mark on the inside and out side of the base pad, and it appears a crack is starting to form on the outside of it. Has anyone ever seen this happen before? Is there any solution? I did notice there is a little play of the spacer when the magazine is empty (up and down). Should I be worried of this destroying my basepad? Do I need to switch back to the factory plastic spacer? Is there any real difference between he steel and plastic ones. Maybe some way to keep the spacer affixed semi-permanently to the mag tube to keep it from hitting the base pad?

-Eli

I do have at least one mag base that is a little suspect as well. Never thought of the spacer hitting it from the inside tho. I am interested in hearing responses on this as well

The spacer should not be floating around free inside the tube. If it's properly fitted, there should be little to no up or down movement.

For good measure, get some thin double-sided tape and fix the spacer in place to the back of the tube.

I'll have to try the tape or silicone. What kind of silicone are you talking about exactly? Can I just go to home depot and get "Silicone Adhesive"? How permanent is it?

I got the 140mm spacer, made by something Hardy, I think. They have about 1-2mm of movement. Part of the reason I got them was because the original sti plastic ones had the same movement which I didn't like. I assumed the steel 140 ones would come over sized to fit, but I guess they don't. I considered getting the 170 version so I knew I would have material to fit it with, but I ended up deciding against it. I guess I should have.....

Yeah get 170's next time and cut them to fit. But remember they can't be any longer than the tube or the base pads won't slide on.

Yes, just get a tube of silicone from lowe's or hd. I silicone them in and push them up to the feed lips then pack the mag full of packing foam or peanuts to hold it in place. They typically hold up for a whole season before needing redone.

Howard Smith, the guru of mag tuning told me he used RTV silicon. I have used the "permatex" brand with good success. I agree with Sarge, run a bead of silicon onto the back of the spacer, place it in the mag and stuff the mag full of Styrofoam peanuts to hold things in place until it dries.