Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 broken bushing?

Maxximuss

I swapped out a recoil spring today and put my STI Eagle back together. A very competent shooter and gunsmith was helping me. He racked the slide, the recoil spring and plug shot out the end of my gun into the berm. I looked at the bushing and the bottom part had completely broke off. :surprise: This gun is less than a year old and less than 1000 rounds through it. Have you heard of this happening before? I have heard STI is pretty good with warranty work and costumer service, do you think they will fix it? Will any bushing work or does it have to be fitted to the gun?

This was the worst timing... I was planning on using it this weekend at the March Madness Match in Vegas and the Berry's Steel Open the next weekend in St. George! :unsure:

also would be a great opportunity to learn another skill and a little about you gun on your own....I have fitted a few small parts and I'm not very fast at it, but always learn something new about my guns.

If the spring goes solid the slide stops on the bushing and not on the guide rod head. This is no bueno.

Assemble the gun with the guide rod but no recoil spring, run the slide to the rear until it stops, mark the slide/frame with something. Put your recoil spring in and do it again. The marks should match up. If not trim a coil and try again.

I've had to cut a coil or two from every ISMI recoil spring I've replaced.

Have the gunsmith that was with you fit a new one so you can shoot your matches and go on.

Stuff breaks sometimes and the cost of the part and labor shouldn't be that much compared to match fees etc. IMO

I spoke with STI today. They are just having me send in my slide, barrel, and broken bushing. They said they will fit a new bushing for me. STI customer service is great and they are awesome to work with.