Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 trigger - what's up with this???

Clay1

I just picked up my new G34. One of the main reasons that I bought it over a 17 was that the factory trigger is advertised at 3.5 pounds. On the outside of the box that the gun came in it says 3.5 pounds. The brass that was enclosed with the gun was dated 10-04 so this is a newly produced G34.

I have a trigger scale that I use for my rimfire silhouette rifles. It is within an ounce and this has been verified over and over. I took it with me to a gun show two weeks ago and could get a new G17 at one of the dealers tables to break at 5.5 pounds consistently and repeatedly.

This G34 breaks consistently at 6 pounds 14 ounces. This is repeatable and consistant and I am quite familiar with this scale and it's use. What is up with this? What would you do if this were your gun and you planned on competing with this gun.

I called Glock and the man that answered the phone said to shoot the gun 500 rounds before worrying about it. Do you think that the trigger pull will lighten up to half what it is today because I fired a few hundred rounds through it? I'm not swollowing that one just yet. I'm am seeking info at this point, but I can tell I will get really grumpy really fast if this is not resolved.

G34 owners what has been your experience - thanks for the comments.

Hi Clay1!

The short answer to youy Q is: Glock tells something that isn't true. Their triggers are always much heavier than the standard 3.5 and 5 lbs. :huh:

My glock17 with polished insides and 3.5lbs. connector breaks at 5+ lbs. too. It will get lighter, but it will never be 3.5lbs without a lightened striker spring and other modifications.

Dry fire it a bit and see how that works out. If it doesn't get any lighter, I'd just consider a trigger job. If you do a search, you'll find lots of info about different trigger jobs.

Someone explained it to me that the "3.5" reference that you see on the outside of the box actually references the type of connector, not the trigger pull.

I just visited the official Glock site and it tellls me that the standard trigger pull is approximately 4.5 pounds. See here.

Bottom line is that the trigger will lighten up over time. Polishing it will help as well, but I agree with Spook that it will never get down to 3.5 pounds without replacing parts.

I ended up with a trigger job by Charlie Vanek, and he performs magic! I now have a trigger that breaks around 1.6 pounds, and I couldn't be happier....

Good luck,

Cor

Thanks everyone for the reassuring comments. On the Glock site under specs for the G34 it gives the trigger pull as ~4.5 pounds. So yes, I see where the connector doesn't give you a real 3.5 pound pull. But 6 pounds, 14 ounces really isn't anywhere near 4.5 pounds.

I found a couple good links on trigger jobs on this gun and will do those mods soon.

Cruiten, 1.6 pounds in a competition handgun would be neat to experience. In a gun that I will shoot IDPA with as well as my home defense weapon I would be asking for trouble.

Thanks for making me feel welcome. I ordered Brian Enos' book and a DVD by Matt Burkett on shooting IDPA matches - nothing against IPSC but IDPA is what we have locally.

Listen to TDean, I got a 34 second hand from SRT driver, who had done the trigger job himself. His "trigger job" consister of polishing all the stock parts and it now breaks at about 2.5 lbs consistently. Vanek's are very cool also and if $200 doesnt bother you, give it a try. I know a few people that have em and say they would buy them again in a heartbeat. Personally, mine is just fine how it is.

I found a couple good links on trigger jobs on this gun and will do those mods soon.

I know that for many people modifying the gun themselves is half the fun. Maybe it says something about my confidence in my mechanical skills - or lack thereof - but considering that simply replacing the stock striker spring with a Wolff spring can cut two pounds off the trigger pull right there, I'm just not tempted to start grinding on trigger/safety system parts.

Six days later and 500 rounds through the stock trigger and I am much happier. Breaking pretty good about 4 1/2 pounds with no polishing etc. I will still polish, not remove metal just slick her up some and replace two springs: the recoil and the striker springs. Rounds are going down the barrel and my finger is getting more use to the trigger. thanks again.

Here's what I did:

I polished thru the plating to get really smooth surfaces. Install a lighter striker spring and a heavier trigger spring. Polish the cruciform sear (do not change the angle or round the sharp upper edge), under the cruciform where it contacts the connector, the connector, the firing pin safety (clip off 2 coils of the firing pin safety spring) and polish the trigger bar where it contacts the firing pin safety, polish the part of the cruciform that is the drop safety. Grind the striker arm on the left side at a 45 degree angle and polish the striker where it contacts the cruciform sear. Polish the striker at the back flats and in the front where it will make contact with the channel liner.

See:

http://www.sportshooter.com/gssf/dalerhea_dremeling.htm

Scroll to Trigger Group then Modifying the Srtiker.

Ended up with a 2.3lb trigger that cost $18 to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I had to do some follow up on this post. On the first G34 that I bought toward the end of Dec, that trigger is now 3 pounds and 2 ounces after polishing the internals and changing the stock striker spring with a Wolf reduced weight striker spring.

Today I picked up my second G34. It is a Valentine's day gift for my wife :wub: This trigger right out of the box is 4 pounds 2 ounces and no where close to the 6 pounds 14 ounces of the first gun.

The first G34 has a serial number that starts with GRC and the second one starts with GTD. They can't be that far apart in production dates. Anyhow, I suspect with the same kind of work that I put into the first one vs this second one I should be in the 2+ pound category somewhere.

I'm just surprised that there is this much difference between the two guns. Same scale, same technique used to test the triggers.

I know this sounds weird, but I got myself a tube of Flitz polish from the hardware store and a Crest spinning toothbrush ($6) from the drugstore and went to work and gave my G34 a $0.25 trigger job per the instructions in "The Complete Glock Reference Guide". At some point I will install a Vanek or Rhea, but for the time being, it works GREAT!

Give it a try.

Indshrk, you might have missed this but on my recent post I wrote this: "On the first G34 that I bought toward the end of Dec, that trigger is now 3 pounds and 2 ounces after polishing the internals and changing the stock striker spring with a Wolf reduced weight striker spring." In other words I have done the .25 cent trigger job already. Used a dremel with JB bore compound and it did a nice job of polishing without too much metal removal.

The point that I was really trying to make is that it suprised me that there was so much difference between the two triggers of the same model. I also posted my theory that if I do the .25 cent trigger job and spring change on the new G34 that the trigger would come out in the two pound + range somewhere given that it is starting out so much better than the first gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Dale Rhea's article on Matt Burketts website... I think its titled dremeling your glock... I have used his trigger bar modification on probably 16 or 17 glocks with a 8lb connector and a lightened striker spring and you end up anywhere between 1.75 and 2.25lbs. Depending on how much polishing you want to do... The 8lb connector gives you an earlier and crisper break.. The 3.5lb connectors brake later and are mushier feeling... I can truly say that it is pretty close to a single action trigger as you can get in a glock.....

Always make sure you get plenty of striker/trigger bar engagement. I think the minimum is 55 or 60%. I have never had any problems with doubling or the trigger not resetting given that most of my glocks have 80% contact...

Your experience may differ so just make sure its safe....

The variations in Glock trigger pull weights are caused by the different trigger bar nose profiles. The trigger bar can be modified to yield a pull, with the 5 lb connector, that is as light as one with the 3.5 connector. I have gotten Glock pulls down as low as 14 oz.

The other factor is which connector you use. The Scherer 3.5 has the heaviest, but shortest pull. Lightest, but longest is the Alchemy. My favorite is the old Glockworks/Gunworks connector. I have a few of these hoarded as they are no longer in business.

I tested all of the connectors a while back. The results were posted on the Glock Talk forum.

Just remember it is all about leverage.