Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Rotary Tumbler

Prebaned

Heavyopp:

Thanks, assume those are the XL pins from Pellets LLC ?

Yes -- Last winter I was buying them direct -- 300 pounds at a time -- I did that 3 times and sold all but 25 pounds --

This was just before they came out with the Ultra sized pin -- Or at least before the ultra became popular --

That guy on ebay sells the pins so cheap it became unprofitable so I stopped buying them...

Now, when I sell a tumbler, I just point them towards Ebay for pins...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heavyopp:

Link or name of seller? Pellets LLC ?

Heavyopp:

Link or name of seller? Pellets LLC ?

Just search "stainless tumbling pins" on ebay and take your pick -- I don't know how they make money once you add ebay and paypal fees

You can also find the XL .062 pins if you go into some of the sellers stores --

I just ordered the Frankford wet tumbler. I've been fighting it for over a year but I've got a ton of 5.56 brass that I need to process. Have my old Lee single stage set up with a uni-decapper. Then I'm going to use this on them. I actually found my Lyman tumbler (1200?) with corncob to do an excellent job on brass, even range pickups. Only would have the odd one that just won't get shiny. I've tried the 'ultrasonic' cleaners and found they just didn't work for what I wanted. Which also kept me from jumping into wet tumbling.

I've read several 'procedures' that people are using...rinse, lather, repeat. Seems most do it the same way.

Questions

1. How do I separate the brass and pins? (besides the usual way with corncob)

2. I'm using the standard (.041?) pins....how long do they last?

3. I have the Dawn and Lemi-shine. Any other combinations I should be aware of?

4. Easy drying procedure? (I'm fine with the 'lay them on a towel' but any others?)

I'm sure I'll have more questions later....unit arrives tomorrow so I'll have a chance to run a few batches this weekend...

Jay

I roll with the Frankford arsenal media separator and a 5 gallon bucket. The separator is well built, all I do is I rinse the brass in the tumbler when done a few times and pour out the dirty water into the sink just before the brass and pins start to come out. Maybe three or four times. Then I put the media separator on top of an empty 5 gallon bucket and dump the whole drum, pins and brass into it. The separator catches the brass as the pins fall through the holes of the separator into the bottom of the bucket. Then I just keep mixing up the brass with my hand untill all the pins have gone through the separator into the bottom of the bucket. I usually do about 600 at a pop.

When done I just grab the bucket full of pins and dump it back into the tumbler drum no need for a magnet or separating works really well.

7ara4uty.jpg

You will lose the pins before they wearout. I went with the .047 pins to avoid any stuck pins in the flash holes.

Works best for me. I have used straight up citric acid from Walmart in the caning good section Balls brand.

Towel works great. In a rush I have rinsed the brass in screaming hot water then threw them on a cookie sheet into the oven at 170° for about 20 minutes when no one was home.

Sent painfully from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Prebaned

Prebanned

I have that strainer sitting right beside me...just off the UPS truck. I have one almost exactly like that I use all ready.

I have a Lyman media/case spinner to separate the pins and cases. This is the one that has a cover....I got it because when I separated my cases and crushed walnut it tends to go everywhere...

I have a 15LB hand magnet with release....should help with the pins.

I thought using TOO MUCH acid (Lemi-Shine) was bad and led to spots and oxidation??? They say that you should ONLY use 1/4" TSP and NO MORE....??? Help from the 'elders' ?? :surprise:

I plan on using air to dry my brass...live in NC and it's usually sunny and warm here.

QUESTION...I read someone was using a 'undies' mesh dryer bag to hold cases and putting them in the dryer with a load of old towels. My first reaction would be "Dang...itn't that hard on da' cases?"...then I thought "Well, it just a big tumbler" ANYONE tried that? I'd have to wait for momma to leave...but.... :ph34r:

Thanks

Jay

I roll with the Frankford arsenal media separator and a 5 gallon bucket. The separator is well built, all I do is I rinse the brass in the tumbler when done a few times and pour out the dirty water into the sink just before the brass and pins start to come out. Maybe three or four times. Then I put the media separator on top of an empty 5 gallon bucket and dump the whole drum, pins and brass into it. The separator catches the brass as the pins fall through the holes of the separator into the bottom of the bucket. Then I just keep mixing up the brass with my hand untill all the pins have gone through the separator into the bottom of the bucket. I usually do about 600 at a pop.
When done I just grab the bucket full of pins and dump it back into the tumbler drum no need for a magnet or separating works really well.
7ara4uty.jpg
You will lose the pins before they wearout. I went with the .047 pins to avoid any stuck pins in the flash holes.
Works best for me. I have used straight up citric acid from Walmart in the caning good section Balls brand.
Towel works great. In a rush I have rinsed the brass in screaming hot water then threw them on a cookie sheet into the oven at 170° for about 20 minutes when no one was home.

Edited by Undrpsi

To much Lemi-shine will turn brass pink. Spots come from hard water and soap not completely rinsed off.

If using a dryer I would put in a shoe dryer rack that is static and does not spin. Dropping brass in a bag free falling 12 inches over and over again will not be good for the brass or dryer.

Thanks Prebaned.....I have no first hand knowledge..yet. But my FA Tumbler came in yesterday....

I made a video about why and what I'm going to be doing with my wet tumbler....<Shameless link to my YouTube channel video where I show my unboxed tumbler>

Cheers....

Jay

To much Lemi-shine will turn brass pink. Spots come from hard water and soap not completely rinsed off.

If using a dryer I would put in a shoe dryer rack that is static and does not spin. Dropping brass in a bag free falling 12 inches over and over again will not be good for the brass or dryer.

I broke down and bought one from cabelas since they had free shipping through father's day. I think I also might invest in the 47 pins as others mentioned to avoid getting pins stuck in the flash hole.

Here's the second and final part of my Frankford Arsenal and wet cleaning video...

(Shameless link to my YouTube channel)

Cheers....

Jay

Great videos!

Look into changing your rinse method.

Cut your time in half and no lost pins. My post #30 works great. Ditch the separator strainer in the tub. Just pour the dirty water out of the tub into a sink untill you see the pins/brass about to free themselves out. You will get the hang of it quick. After about three rinses dump everything into the media separator over a bucket and stir up the brass with your hands for about 5 minutes. All the pins will fall into the bucket not all over the floor. No magnet needed and quick.

One thing I learned is that DCL does not like to come off well with dry media even with mineral spirts added.

I changed up my method to cure this. I lube, size, trim first then wet tumble. If the brass is really dirty to the point of interfering with the dies dry tumble first but I have not found a need to do that.

Towel dry works fine for me and I run screaming hot water over the brass in the media separator, shake a few times and throw the on a towel and use another towel to rub over them a few times. Makes drying time much quicker. Of course you can always bake them on a cookie sheet at 170 degrees for 15-20 minutes and the come out nice and dry but not so tasty....LOL

Good luck and happy cleaning.

Artie

Edited by Prebaned

Great videos!

THANKS...I do them mostly for my own and close friends entertainment....so for someone else to like them is a bonus!

Look into changing your rinse method.
Cut your time in half and no lost pins. My post #30 works great. Ditch the separator strainer in the tub. Just pour the dirty water out of the tub into a sink untill you see the pins/brass about to free themselves out. You will get the hang of it quick. After about three rinses dump everything into the media separator over a bucket and stir up the brass with your hands for about 5 minutes. All the pins will fall into the bucket not all over the floor. No magnet needed and quick.

OK....kind of did that....except I did two rinses instead of three. I have a nice big deep plastic strainer for my 5 gallon bucket (it's made by Frankford also)....I'm going to slide that in as a pre-seperater step. I have the Frankford separator and the Lyman (enclosed). I used the Frankford (see part 2 of my video) and I slung the dang things everywhere. Even at low RPMs. I'm going to try the Lyman next.

One thing I learned is that DCL does not like to come off well with dry media even with mineral spirts added.
I changed up my method to cure this. I lube, size, trim first then wet tumble. If the brass is really dirty to the point of interfering with the dies dry tumble first but I have not found a need to do that.

I'm using both. MOST of my pistol rounds come clean using dry corncob. I drop a choke load in the Lyman 1200 tumbler and let it run...about 4 hours later it's nice and clean and shiny. For this .223 reloading I'm doing both. Deprime - wet tumble - resize and trim - DRY tumble (lube removal and polish) - reload like always. I've had fair to good results getting the lube off by dry media. I'll typically run straight, fine corncob (nothing else) and it comes off well...THEN...I'll switch out the media for corncob with nu-finish hydrated into it. That makes them glitter!....or I'll tumble my finished rounds in that media to get them all over shiny.

Towel dry works fine for me and I run screaming hot water over the brass in the media separator, shake a few times and throw the on a towel and use another towel to rub over them a few times. Makes drying time much quicker. Of course you can always bake them on a cookie sheet at 170 degrees for 15-20 minutes and the come out nice and dry but not so tasty....LOL

I just spread to a single layer on a couple of towels, rub them with another towel, then spread them on the shop floor and turn the ceiling fan on high. The shop is attached to house but no AC so it stays fairly toasty and dry out there. I would use the oven but 'the-one-who-must-not-be-named' would de-nut me if she saw another one of my projects in the oven..again. The last time was bad enough.

Good luck and happy cleaning.
Artie

Thanks Art...

Jay

Edited by Undrpsi

I broke down and bought one of these and ran about 6 pounds of 9mm case tonight. I ran the cases, a little bit of dawn, about a 9mm case of lemishine, Water to the rib of the barrel, and 5 pounds of pins for 2 hours. Once the pins were separated, I put the cases in my retired food dehydrater for about a hour and a half at 150 degrees and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I don't know if I need to tweek my mixture or not yet but so far so good.

I agree with Steve. I drain off a majority of the water then I pour the brass, pins and remaining water in my media seperator and spin it. I am lucky to find 1 or 2 pins left behind when I rinse them and leave them to dry.

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys,

Need a little help. Probably a simple answer, but anybody have any quick and easy method to dry the SS pins. The instructions give all kinds of detail on drying brass, but nothing on the pins. With so many great minds out there, somebody should have a method.

Thanks

JBOB

I don't dry them. Sometimes I leave them in water until the next time, sometimes I drain off as much water as possible and although the pins are still damp, they dry out in a couple of days. Mine don't rust.

I have never considered wet tumbling.

Are you first running all this brass through your press de-priming and sizing die first? dirty? Does this scratch up the inside of your de-prime and sizing die?

Then wet tumble and dry

Then run all this brass through your press again and remove the de-prime and sizing die?

I have never considered wet tumbling.

Are you first running all this brass through your press de-priming and sizing die first? dirty? Does this scratch up the inside of your de-prime and sizing die?

Then wet tumble and dry

Then run all this brass through your press again and remove the de-prime and sizing die?

Yes, deprime with a universal decapping die first. Leaked it easier to have a separate toolhead with just the decapping die. Don't resize the dirty brass. You'll foul up your sizing ring which will scratch up all of the subsequent brass. Load up the cases on the 2nd run, replacing the decapping die with your sizing die. Edited by mellow13

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the wet tumbler from local sportsman's warhouse, they wanted 222 I had them price match to cabelas for 185

Love the machine it makes brass look brand new, I then separate what pins are left after dumping water out through supplied strainer end cap into 5 gallon bucket with the franfford media seperator. No problems at all with sticking pins, takes a little more work than dry tumbling but is well worth it

There were pictures in another post showing before and after pics of brass that was cleaned with SS media.

If possible, can someone post pics of REALLY dirty brass (on the verge of tarnished) and pics of it after it went thru the cleaning process?

TIA