Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fully loaded or not

In getting all my gear packed up to make the 21 hour jaunt to Task Force Dagger this week. I'm curious, do you guys top off all your mags to save space, or do you just box all your ammo and load at the range. Figuring I could eliminate about eight 50 round boxes of ammo between rifle and pistol by topping off all my mags. Since we are car pooling, I'm trying to be considerate and keep my baggage to a minimum.

Go to Walmart and head over to the camping section. Look for some clear waterproof heavy duty plastic containers with lids that have latches that snap closed. They even come in different colors. Get one for your rifle ammo, one for your handgun ammo, and a smaller sized one for you long range rifle ammo (if you shoot two different bullet weights). They save a lot of space over boxed ammo, and they hold more ammo than you will shoot at a match except maybe the Ironman.

I like to walk the stages the day before the match, then the night prior I load all my mags in my room. My OCD would keep me from getting any sleep if I tried to wait until getting to the range to load out the mags.

I pack my ammo in the boxes bullets come in, usually 4x4x4 inches. You can get 200 rounds of .223 into one of them easily, and probably the entire amount of pistol ammo in another. Not having those, I'd use zip lock freezer bags and put them in my shooting bag.

I just load mags as I need them

I don't load mags when traveling as I am traveling through some very unfriendly states, as I know Dan does also, but if I weren't I would have no problem loading them all up at home so it was one less thing I had to worry about when I got there.