Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Pouch for Rifle Mags

I have ordered a holster and 2 double pistol mag pouches from blade tech. Now I want to ask about mag pouches for rifles. On the blade tech website they have thermal formed rifle mag pouches with 3 choices: bullets backwards, bullets forward and straight drop cant. Which one would be best and how many rifle mag pouches are needed for a typical multigun match? Since I just ordered my holster and mag pouches and those for my wife, rifle mag pouches will probably need to wait, but I would like to research it. Also, rifle mag pouches are needed, can one just put them in a pocket until they can afford them?

I have 2 rifle mag pouches, but I only ever have 1 on my belt. I come to the line with a mag in the pouch and one in my pocket to load. Mine is set up for bullets back. Actually I have it in front, canted at about 45* back, so the bullets are more down than back. This way I draw the mag out & back at a 45* angle rather than straight up. The second pouch just stays in the bag as a spare.

Bullets to the rear for me. I have 2 on the belt but seldom use the second. I also prefer them to have a slight rearward cant to help with an easier draw because typically they sit around the 8-9 o'clock positions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I just used my back pocket for my first year. Just make sure your pocket isn't deep enough to swallow the mag. I have 1 pair of cargo shorts that has a pocket deep enough for all but an inch or so of a pmag.

I use a set of cinched 30 round mags... so the 2nd is my reloadable mag, like these:

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazine-parts/magazine-hardware/ar-16-m16-maglink-for-pmag--prod45538.aspx

I have one mag in a pouch in the far back.. for 'just in case' I can not remember using it in the last 5+ years or so

For the direction for you.. take a magazine out of the rifle and plot the reverse course for how it feels naturally for you

If you're going to any of the LCH matches.. you can try out anything you'd like.. I've bought way too much stuff over the years

Edited by D.Hayden

Practice dry firing mag changes out of your back pocket to see which bullet orientation is preferable. I run the Ready Tactical rifle holder and really like it for the price but it does lack the ability to cant the mag, which is helpful as it's usually behind your back.

I run bullets facing back, 2x mags. Most stages need one mag or less, with the second being a backup.

If I'm (rarely) in a heavy rifle could stage that requires a mag change or high number of shots, I'll add another mag pouch or throw one in my pocket.

Thanks for all the suggestions! D. Hayden - my wife and I are trying to make a master calendar of the clubs we would go to so that we can map out some shoots. We hope to make at least one there. Thanks for the offer!

Edited by bigarm

I prefer the bladetech revolution rifle mag pouch because you can run with the bullets either forward or back. I always have one more magazine than needed for a stage. I would either get a single rifle mag pouch and a double or two single rifle mag pouches.

When running a 5.56, I have one pouch on my belt, my starting mag is in my pocket. I have coupled 30s for some stages, but most of the time run a single mag, now that Pmag 40s are out, I run one of them in the gun and another on my belt. That will get you through most stages. When shooting Heavy Metal (my favorite class/division), I use two mag pouches on my belt.

As far as pouches, for 223/5.56, I use the Brownells blade tech, it accommodates bullets forward or bullets back (my preference) and is adjustable for cant. I use Ready Tacticals for my 308 mags. I have heard several people talk good about Wilderness Tactical soft pouches, but I don't have personal experience with them.

Hurley

• 2 weeks later...

HSGI Taco's, because they take any mag, or anything that is close to a rifle mag size, or pistol mag size, aka, 40mm grenades, mulit-tools, flashlights, can's of redbull/monster, motorola brick radios, smoke grenades, cell phones. Getting mags into and out of the pouches is easy, no need to change pouches when you change calibers/firearms, there is loop side velcro on the inside of the rifle pouches so if you add grip tape to the mid section of an M4 mag you'll have added retention.

http://www.highspeedgear.com/taco-pouches.html

+1 on the HSGI Tacos. They retain better than most kydex and it is easier to draw magazines—you never have to worry about the magazine bindingif you pull at the wrong angle.

I've been looking at the HSGI stuff for my belt also..i have a handful of them on other gear and I've always liked the fact that I can stuff anything into them....but I've been trying to find a way to mount an ELS clip to them. I think I have it figured out with an accessory from Gcode but I haven't actually done it yet.

but if it works...that's definitely something i'll have on my belt. i'll be able to sell a bunch of gear and just run those for everything.

I've been looking at the HSGI stuff for my belt also..i have a handful of them on other gear and I've always liked the fact that I can stuff anything into them....but I've been trying to find a way to mount an ELS clip to them. I think I have it figured out with an accessory from Gcode but I haven't actually done it yet.

My g/f figured out the solution for our Blade-Tech TMMS mounts. She used a knife tip to make small holes in the MOLLE webbing on the back-side of the Taco, then ran the Chicago screw backings between the body and the MOLLE, sticking out the back. Then she was able to screw the Taco directly to a small TMMS inner plate that can mount to the belt.

I don't see any reason you couldn't do the same, screwing the pouch through the webbing directly on to the ELS clip...