Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbling Media

Mistral404

Ok, I finally got my large Dillon.

As was suggested in a previous post, I used white rice.

The brass looks pretty shiny after about 1.5 hours.

I may do alittle time tomorrow morning.

The rice seems to be be leaving a small fine powder in the brass. If I take a cotton swab I can remove some of it.

Has anybody experienced this before?

I have not separated the brass from the media I just spot checked some pieces.

Any ideas?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I put a little brake cleaner on the cotton swab, the powder is removed and the brass is pretty bright.

I did not put any brass cleaner in the rice. I was under the impression there would not be a residue with rice but alas and alec, my novice intentions have gone awry.

Been using rice for very long. The only problem I experience is that after about 3-5 batches the rice turns green and them starts to leave a gooey green sticky substance on the brass and in the bowl. At the price of rice I just clean out every three times. My tumbler is real small, so this might be a bit different with other tumblers.

I recently also switched to a cleaner burning powder - will let you know if anything improves....

And I will try the brown rice... :P

Update.

I have finished cleaning about 30 pounds of .40 brass, 120 pounds to go.

The rice is getting pretty ugly. This last batch has taken about 2 hours to clean.

I "borrowed" some expensive rice (from Thailand) from my wife's cabinet. It runs about $10 for 25 pounds at Costco. I just purchased 25 pound for $5.00 from Costco.

I do not use any polishing additives. The brass is coming out very clean and smooth.

I went to Petsmart before Costco today. The English Walnut runs about $18 per 25 pounds. So I passed on it. Sportsman Paradaise runs about $15 for a couple of pounds of the Lyman, etc. media.

So for me, it is rice. Cheap, cleans the brass. Not dust, the only problem is that the rice sometimes bounces out of the Dillon Media Separator when I am pouring from the Dillon Cleaner.

I support Dillon because it is the best and they support our sport.

Here is a way to minimize or eliminate the dust. I put 10 clean patches. When i run out i just cut up an old shirt or an old brief. I then put this on the polisher with a few drops of brass polish

the dust and the polish somewhat get attracted to the patches.

Is that because it seems such a waste of good rice, or that it make you (and me) vaguely nauseous, or that it just is too weird for words... :P

Ron Gunar got me a 50# bag of walnut media for under $10, so rice ain't cheaper for me. And while it's probably true that rice is less dusty, the dryer cloth trick works for me. Anyway, walnut hull doesn't offend my Asian sensibilities. ;)

Is that because it seems such a waste of good rice, or that it make you (and me) vaguely nauseous, or that it just is too weird for words...  :P

Maybe ... I wonder if our Italian friends would blink if someone suggested macaroni or if someone more mid-western would think it weird if I loaded up my tumbler with cheerios.

Maybe ...  I wonder if our Italian friends would blink if someone suggested macaroni

SR,

unless you don't pretend to cook them (after tumbling) and have me as dinner guest, I guess it'll be fine with me... ;)

BTW, whatever works is ok by me. I've tried rice, it works and in my case it lasted a lot before getting dark grey or black (no gum), but I find brown Lyman media (walnut?) to be the most effective.

I'd guess that they'd be a bit too soft for good cleaning action?

Another question: Is the really coarse corncob you can buy in pet stores (sold as litter) going to work? Mebbe so big (granules the size of a .22 short) that there wouldn't be any scrubbing action?

:unsure:

I'd guess that they'd be a bit too soft for good cleaning action?

Another question: Is the really coarse corncob you can buy in pet stores (sold as litter) going to work? Mebbe so big (granules the size of a .22 short) that there wouldn't be any scrubbing action?

:unsure:

the pet store corn cob stuff works great and is cheap.

lynn

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum..

Lynn.. do you add polish, and for how long? All Corn cob?

MerlinD - look around, locally walnut is cheaper here than the lowest they offer.. about $.025 (12.99 for #50) a pound, and I think kevin c is getting 50# for $10?

Corn cob is the same, but they only have the coarse, so I haven't tried it yet.. Now... I'll give it a shot.. I'd like to just have a one step process..

I have increased the rice to brass ratio. More rice than brass by a 3 to 1 ratio. I get about 60 pounds of brass cleaned with about 15 lbs of rice. The cheap Costco rice is holding up pretty well.

The cleaned brass once reloaded and fired, actually stays pretty cleaned. The next go-around of cleaning should be a lot quicker.

I have just start to use the rice to clean my rounds after they are reloaded. I still have a little lube left on them. As Brian recommended I am using One Shot. This stuff works pretty well. I have been know to leave the lubed brass in the hopper for a few days before I reload. Even in my very very cold garage the lube works.

I will probably need another bag of rice soon. So many buckets of brass and so little time!

Lynn.. do you add polish, and for how long? All Corn cob?

BerKim,

i use the large dillon tumbler and the dillon case cleaner. i put about a third of the bottle each time i clean brass 500-600 rounds. i put in enough corn cobb to cover the brass and leave it on for about 2 hours. i use the same corn cobb for about 3 cleanings.

lynn

p.s. i think i'll try the rice just to see the difference.

MerlinD - look around, locally walnut is cheaper here than the lowest they offer.. about $.025 (12.99 for #50) a pound, and I think kevin c is getting 50# for $10?

Corn cob is the same, but they only have the coarse, so I haven't tried it yet.. Now... I'll give it a shot.. I'd like to just have a one step process..

Damn... I need to get out more often - to Walmart??? ehhuugggg.

I have been using crushed walnut and corncobb mixed about 50/50 forever now and it does a good job. I have been adding 1/2 bottle of Dillion case cleaner every 5 loads and change my media about every 10 loads - does not seem to lose much of its cleaning ability in that time frame.