Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issue With Xtreme 147gr

Lifeislarge

I just got these in the mail, Xtreme 147gr 9mm projectiles, and loaded a couple to see how they go and ended up with this peculiar mark on the nose of the bullet. Checked my seating die (Dillon) and lo and behold there's a hole in the top of the seating insert which left an impression. Is anyone else Xperiencing this with Xtreme bullets and Dillon dies? If so, does it affect accuracy? Did I get some thinly plated bullets? This is my first order from Xtreme and also my first time loading a round nose 9mm. I am loading on a 550B with a full set of Dillon carbide dies to 1.145 OAL if that matters.

post-41423-0-82446800-1395196507_thumb.j

Are you crimping and seating at the same station? If so try to split that up.

I load a 147TC cast lead bullet at 1.135 so those round nose seem to be a bit deep and getting into where the case starts tapering thicker inside? I don't really know I've never loaded 147RN in 9mm.

I just got these in the mail, Xtreme 147gr 9mm projectiles, and loaded a couple to see how they go and ended up with this peculiar mark on the nose of the bullet. Checked my seating die (Dillon) and lo and behold there's a hole in the top of the seating insert which left an impression. Is anyone else Xperiencing this with Xtreme bullets and Dillon dies? If so, does it affect accuracy? Did I get some thinly plated bullets? This is my first order from Xtreme and also my first time loading a round nose 9mm. I am loading on a 550B with a full set of Dillon carbide dies to 1.145 OAL if that matters.

attachicon.gifIMG_3809.JPG

I don't have any Dillon seating dies, but aren't they reversible, one end for round nose, the other end for wadcutter? Do you have it oriented incorrectly?

I don't have any Dillon seating dies, but aren't they reversible, one end for round nose, the other end for wadcutter? Do you have it oriented incorrectly?

That's my first thought too. Make sure the die is flipped to the correct end. I've loaded those same bullets with no issues.

I do also experience this with Xtreme 147 and Dillon dies.

I haven't broken the plating and can't comment on accuracy, but I do think I may have experienced a feeding issue because of it.

Nipples are aerodynamic I guess, right?

Edited by Cybe

You can reduce this issue by belling your case a little deeper, the bullet profile is different. Also recheck your oal with the spin test I had to shorten mine to keep it out of the rifling...

Edited by Rick88

The ring is due to the internal dimension/shape of the Dillon seating die and the sharper point of the Xtreme 147 and maybe my 1.14 OAL. It happens on all my 147gr Xtreme bullets. Nothing more than the die design. No big deal IMO. A bullet with a more blunt nose won't have the ring after seating.

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same issue, and more OAL variation then I'd care to see. I'm guessing the changing radius is a lot different on the bullet then on the seating die having ring contact instead of surface contact.

For the 147 gr, I'm going to 100% OAL measurement. I can't have another issue in the middle of a match :(

I get these rings (although a little further down the bullet) when seating w Hornady dies. Basically the bullet or plating is soft enough that the pressure applied by the die to seat the bullet also leaves a ring. I don't get this on FMJs.

I've never had the plating separate as a result, and I'm shooting the 147s sized to .357 in my 627 w 38 Short Colt.

I too get these "nips" when loading the Xtreme 147's with my Dillon dies. Other than fluctuating OALs they have not caused any problems. The Xtreme 124's did not do this. Just goes back to all of the pressure being applied to the tip of the bullet and not spread out to the sides at all.

Extreme bullets are POS!

i've had good luck with xtreme 147gr below at 1.135 OAL this was 5 rounds at 7 yards. The next picture below is 10 rounds at 75 yards maxed at my indoor range on my 9mm AR15 build.

2013-09-23203526_zps1d9b41d4.jpg

9copy.jpg

I have had the same issue with BBL. I was having to put too much force on them to get them down to a certain OAL. This was an attempt to get them short enough to function reliably in CZs. You could try adjusting the bell to get them lower with a bit less force but I just ended up backing off my OAL and it fixed the issue. I also haven't had the same type of problems with length that some other CZ shooters have reported. My 147s are 1.130 now and I just noticed I still have a slight trace of the same mark. I might try backing out the OAL just a bit more...

I've loaded and shot a little over 1000 of the Xtreme 147s in my Dillon 550, using Dillon dies, and every one of them have the same ring on the nose. Although it was a little concerning at first, I have had zero feeding issues and haven't seen any accuracy problems with them out of my M&P.

Extreme bullets are POS!

i've had good luck with xtreme 147gr below at 1.135 OAL this was 5 rounds at 7 yards. The next picture below is 10 rounds at 75 yards maxed at my indoor range on my 9mm AR15 build.

You will soon learn to be very leery of any USMC FURY advice, particularly reloading advice which has gotten him kicked off of other forums. But he will gladly sell you powder at a premium cost.

I load Xtreem 147's on my Lock n Load to 1.133 using Lee dies and have no problems. Lee seating die and Lee FCD. However, I find Bayou 147's to be more consistent in weight,faster and more accurate in front of 4.0gr Power Pistol out of our XDM 5.25's.

JD

• 4 months later...

I have this issue with Berry's 147gr RN on Dillon SDB.

BTW - Lee dies do not do this. I have loaded 1000 rounds using Lee 4-die set on RCBS single stage, and there is no marks at all.

I don't know the impact of these on accuracy, because I am having very bad accuracy issues and I cannot isolate where the issues stem from, human, barrel, bullets etc.

LBNly8.png

Edited by MilkMyDuds