Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Edge/eagle or custom?

Therealkoop

I just bought an Edge CRP from dawson precision, and besides some slide cuts and a new grip, I'm very happy with it. I priced out a custom gun and it was going to be almost double what I was paying for my factory gun. If I had the money and the time, I'd go full custom. I don't, so I didn't, and I'm happy.

In the end, its up to you.

If ur looking for a semi custom go with brazos. They stock the high performance edge and do all the work you would typically have done anyways. Plus they will sell you 4 tuned mags at a discounted price when you buy the gun from them.

Otherwise go full custom and wait a bit longer to have exactly what you want (that's the route I went)

I bought a very slightly used edge at a good price thinking I would just like it and be happy....well didnt turn out that way and went ahead and ordered a custom 2011 from Matt McLearn.

Then I went and had about $200 worth of custom work, grip reduction-small double undercut-pinned grip safety-stippled grip, done to the edge. I do have a great back-up gun now for wheny McLearn gun comes in. But at $2000 with all the work done to the factory edge its an expensive lesson learned.

Edited by Prov1x

I bought a very slightly used edge at a good price thinking I would just like it and be happy....well didnt turn out that way and went ahead and ordered a custom 2011 from Matt McLearn.

Then I went and had about $200 worth of custom work, grip reduction-small double undercut-pinned grip safety-stippled grip, done to the edge. I do have a great back-up gun now for wheny McLearn gun comes in. But at $2000 with all the work done to the factory edge its an expensive lesson learned.

How much was the custom from McLearn?

How much was the custom from McLearn?

PM sent

I've gone both ways.

My match gun was made by Matt Cheely. My backup gun is an Eagle that's been worked on by a couple people.

At this point, I really have no more faith in one than the other. They both function essentially flawlessly.

I don't regret spending the extra money on the gun from Matt (even though we went through a lengthy, and painful, trouble-shooting period before the gun reached its current state of goodness.) I don't mind the extra expense because I like having something that was made exactly the way I wanted it. And Matt obviously builds nice guns.

But if you just want a good competition pistol, you could do quite well by buying an Edge or Eagle. Personally, I'd send it to one of the many fine gunsmiths mentioned on this site for a trigger job and an upgrade or two. You can always go the custom route later if you want something fancier.

If you just want function there is nothing wrong with the edge or eagle. If you are expecting a high volume of high performance shooting...and you can swing it... A full custom from a good shop is money well spent. Grundhauser gun works built mine, and it's amazing (and I have high expectations). It was worth the kidney I paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realized that after buying a stock eagle and then adding the little things to make it mine( 2# trigger, flush cut crown, French border, flat topped and ribbed, wide frame, long flat SV trigger), that it would cost me as much as a custom. So I had Gary at Gans Guns build mine in his usual record speed.

By the time Gary was done, the only resemblance to an Eagle it had was the SDC and 5" slide.