Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend a good 16" 1x9 Mid-Length 5.56/.223 Lightweight Barrel

bagdrag

Can anyone recommend a good 16" 1x9 Mid-Length 5.56/.223 Lightweight Barrel?

I know it's not the ideal twist for a dedicated .22lr setup but what about a semi-dedicated one?

I was looking to make a dedicated lightweight .22lr AR for my wife and kids but the following video got me thinking a semi-dedicated one won't be so bad and it maintains flexibility as a centerfire AR.

Want to make it as light as possible and the only one I've found so far that best fits the above specs is this Wilson Combat. Match Grade Barrel | 5.56 NATO | Lightweight | 16" | 1-9-Wilson Combat

Any others that might cost less? A turnkey upper from CPWSA seems like a good value at $319 w/o bolt, ch, handguard, and muzzle device. But the barrel seems heavier than I'd be interested in so I'd probably have to have it turned down.

Thanks in advance for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

Del Ton ! 159.00 range. Mine shoots PMC into a 1" group with a dot.

While at 25 yards that is not impressive, if you are saying that it does that consistently at 100 yards that is incredible. I mean incredible in the true sense of the word. PMC is not sub MOA ammo.

I put together a carbine with a Spikes Tactical 16 mid length government profile upper a while back. I never shot it for accuracy, only played with it a little then sold the gun. I don't remember the twist rate, but it worked, it was also pretty soft shooting with just an A2 flash hider. I was using a standard carbine buffer and spring also.

Hurley

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet! I wonder how much it weighs? The dimensions are real close to the Wilson. Only .025" thicker under the handguard. Thanks

Happy to help.

Good luck with your project.

Well thanks again. The barrel actually measured out to the same dimensions as the Wilson barrel I linked in the first post. Seems light enough and using it with an AP Custom rifle length handguard and a CMMG conversion, it is about 2.2lbs lighter than my 19" barreled Nordic Components setup. This is still without muzzle device, gas system, and sighting system so my weight savings may end up quite a bit less than 2 lbs. Should still be noticeably lighter and I'll have to test out the accuracy in both centerfire and rimfire configuration.

By the way, Fat Boy has raised the price by $36 so I was able to buy it on the cheap.

Check out Ballistic Advantage as well

I just got their Hanson profile 14.5 1/7

was banging steel at 400 with XM193 with it

Thanks but the main objective for this build is accuracy and lightweight with a .22lr conversion bolt. Centerfire accuracy is a secondary objective.

TACCOM

Just cause centerfire is the secondary objective, it doesn't mean I don't want it at all. Almost went this route but I had the conversion bolt already. If it wasn't for the video I saw in the first post, I would have stayed with a dedicated only setup.

While the dedicated set up is the best, the Del-Ton barrels are pretty decent. I've built several ARs using them and 1 MOA is the norm with my best loads, never went over 2MOA, 5 shot groups, 100 yards.

Sweet! I wonder how much it weighs? The dimensions are real close to the Wilson. Only .025" thicker under the handguard. Thanks

Happy to help.

Good luck with your project.

Well thanks again. The barrel actually measured out to the same dimensions as the Wilson barrel I linked in the first post. Seems light enough and using it with an AP Custom rifle length handguard and a CMMG conversion, it is about 2.2lbs lighter than my 19" barreled Nordic Components setup. This is still without muzzle device, gas system, and sighting system so my weight savings may end up quite a bit less than 2 lbs. Should still be noticeably lighter and I'll have to test out the accuracy in both centerfire and rimfire configuration.

By the way, Fat Boy has raised the price by $36 so I was able to buy it on the cheap.

Sounds like your project is going well. I look forward to hearing about your accuracy experience with it, and if (how well) it satisfies your original intent (after you've spent plenty of time with it), or if you have any buyer's remorse.

It looks like the $36 price increase may actually be for a slightly different (chrome-lined) barrel.

Best,

ac

I didn't even noticed that the other barrel was chrome lined. For now they don't even have the one I bought listed anymore. I guess chrome lining is a $36 premium. This will mostly be a .22lr gun so chrome lining is not really needed and I doubt the centerfire round volume for this build will be very high.

I'll probably test this sometime next week once I get the gas tube in. I'm still not sure what muzzle device I'm putting on this thing. Thinking about a spare comp I'll have once the gas hog ships, but then this adds weight.

I have a light weight Delton barrel on a retro A2 build and it shoots 2" easily with iron sights

I would go with a dedicated 22lr upper from Tactical Solutions they make a light weight model that has a aluminum barrel with a SS sleeve.

Edited by Finbox

I didn't even noticed that the other barrel was chrome lined. For now they don't even have the one I bought listed anymore. I guess chrome lining is a $36 premium. This will mostly be a .22lr gun so chrome lining is not really needed and I doubt the centerfire round volume for this build will be very high.

I'll probably test this sometime next week once I get the gas tube in. I'm still not sure what muzzle device I'm putting on this thing. Thinking about a spare comp I'll have once the gas hog ships, but then this adds weight.

I highly recommend a comp if you're shooting .22 in competition - a comp can make an enormous difference in the ability of a timer's mic to pick up shots.

I highly recommend a comp if you're shooting .22 in competition - a comp can make an enormous difference in the ability of a timer's mic to pick up shots.

So an A2 hider won't work? Not sure if this is for competition yet. The original intent was for a lightweight trainer that my wife and my daughter (someday) could use.

So an A2 hider won't work? Not sure if this is for competition yet. The original intent was for a lightweight trainer that my wife and my daughter (someday) could use.

An A2 won't work nearly as well as a comp/break. The thing that makes a comp on a centerfire rifle obnoxious to ROs (the concussion/noise diverted back to the sides) is exactly what makes it of value on a .22 when you want your shots to trip the timer.

If you aren't using it in (time based) competition, then an A2 is fine. Swap between an A2 and a comp as your needs dictate.

Edited by ac4wordplay