Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI Edge CRP

SSGJohnV

Hello All,

My much anticipated STI Edge CRP in .40 arrived at my local fun store today from the great folks at Dawson Precision. They truly are team Awesome, by the way.

To put it simply, I think I'm in love. After shooting a Para P16-40 for a few months, going to handling an STI that is mine, and no one elses, is like going from an SUV to a sports car. The slide to frame fit is just amazing. I can't imagine how the true custom 2011 style guns match up if this is a factory gun. Wow.

Also, one of you could have warned me. I loaded up some mags with my handloads to see if they hand cycle in my new precious, and they did, but the gun was also marked as mine...by taking skin off of my left hand thumb. It looks like I tried to load some razor blades in a magazine, and there are deposits of skin in the slide serrations. Seriously. They don't call it the Edge for nothing. DIdn't even notice it for a while, thanks to my calloused thumbs, but WOW. Talk about sharp machining.

Overall, I'm so glad I have tomorrow off of work so I can go to the range and put this puppy through its paces.

Thanks for all of your input and knowledge that led me down this path. My wallet is still sore from the beating it received, but it will recover.

-John

That's so great to hear because my CRP Edge is on it's way from Dawson to my local shop as we speak. I have 5 140mm mag tubes in my tumbler getting polished right now and am counting the minutes until I get to go pick it up.

Just got back from the range.

Unfortunately, 2 of the 3 stock STI 140mm mags wouldn't feed the 165 grain xtreme's I have on hand. The rounds wouldn't angle up on the feed ramp and would instead jam against it. I have 4 Dawson tuned mags inbound for deliver on Monday, so I'm not too concerned.

I brought my screwdriver set to zero the gun at 15 yards...shouldn't have bothered. Its a damn laser beam with a 6 o clock hold.

Oh, and how in the hell do people ever fumble reloads with an ICE magwell? This thing is like a damn electro-magnet for magazines. The mags disappeared into the magwell like a pizza at a weightwatchers convention.

Only things I'm going to change for sure is getting a new grip. Most likely an SRT grip from Advanced Performance Shooting. Love the feel of the current grip, but it tears my delicate lady hands up a little.

Also going to have to blend the safety a bit, as it poked the skin in between my thumb and fore finger. To be expected, though, as I have to do the same thing with my other handguns usually.

And finally, going to have to have the chamber free bored a little as my 180 grain Bayou Bullet TC's set at 1.175 don't pass the plunk test. Set at factory OAL with minor loads they work fine, but I would prefer to have a long load with the 180's for feeding and safety.

Trigger job will most likely be a simple Extreme Engineering sear, disco, and hammer and install it myself. Maybe have my gunsmith check it and polish it a bit. Other than that, time will tell if I want a slide lightening and refinish. Until then, I'm going to shoot the ever loving hell out of it.

7TxoIHf.jpg?1

Man you're making me even more anxious to get mine. Sorry to hear about the mags. As I said before I have mine going in my brass tumbler now. I took them out after about 8 hours and polished the insides and feed lips with mothers mag polish on a shotgun bore mop chucked in my drill then put them back in the tumbler. Once they come out Grams followers and springs go in with Taran base pads. Gun should be here on Monday then we shoot.

I think its just because of the Bayou Bullets I'm using. My xTreme 165 grain RNFP's loaded out to the same OAL feed fine from good mags and pass the plunk test. I think its just the extra .001 of .402 lead bullets vs .401 of plated thats doing it.