Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrading the trigger on M&P 15-22 for SC

Zmego

I have been shooting SC casually for a year or so, but I would like to do more of it this year. I have the "Bill Springfield" trigger job with JP springs, but it hasn't ever felt very nice or crisp to me. I am thinking about installing a whole new trigger. Any recommendations? What are the BE members running in similar weapon systems?

I put a RRA NM in mine and it works great.

If you use any of the triggers with captured pins be aware that the 15-22 is slightly thicker than a standard AR and takes special pins.

Also avoid the Timney that has set screws to keep tension on the bottom of the receiver.

I have read that the RRA NM can break after only a few thousand rounds because they weren't designed to take the additional abuse that the blow back rifles dish out.

my experience swapping out the trigger on my M&P15-22 for a geiselle was pretty aggravating. as mscott mentioned above, the plastic receiver of the M&P15-22 is slightly thicker than a standard aluminum AR. i'm not aware of special longer pins being available (i've seen 5 M&P15-22's and all had standard pins which sit recessed about .005" - .008" on each side.

problem when installing a new trigger group in the M&P15-22 is that when you install the hammer pin in a normal receiver, you keep the hammer back under tenshion and then push the pin through (at least i do) until it is flush at the end of the pin hole on the opposite side (typically just lay the receiver against a plastic working block so the pin has a hard surface to stop against). If you do this with an M&P15-22 using a standard length pin (and i've seen no other kind) then when you push the pin all the way through until it is flush on the other side, it is now pushed PAST the receiver wall on the side you first inserted it into. This is because the pin is not long enough to completely protrude through both receiver walls. when this happens, the hammer is now only supported on one side (the far side of the receiver) and you begin to egg out that receiver hole. Once you realize what's going on you can address it, but it kind of requires an extra hand...

The hyperfire 24e trigger is a good trigger. and you can buy the correct length pins from KNS Precision. They are the non rotating style that are held in place with a button hd screw and strap to the other pin.

The hyperfire will give you a strong hammer spring with a 2 - 2.5 lb trigger.

my experience swapping out the trigger on my M&P15-22 for a geiselle was pretty aggravating. as mscott mentioned above, the plastic receiver of the M&P15-22 is slightly thicker than a standard aluminum AR.

And the fix for that is to order Geissele part # 02-269 along with the trigger. They're exactly the right (longer) length so the pin ends sit flush with the outer surface of the receiver. I'm running the Geiselle Super Dynamic Three Gun Trigger in my 15-22 with these pins.

Edit: If you go to Geisseles' web site don't be put off by the 02-269 pins' description. They're the small diameter pins, just longer and exactly right in a 15-22.

Edited by Tom E