Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LNL AP sticking in the upmost position

I've put about 2000 rounds of 9mm through a co-owned LNL AP (someone else set it up, I know next to nothing about it). By the end of the last session I had a worsening issue, where the ram would go all the way up (with maybe a tiny bit more force than usual), but would be very very difficult to get down again. I really had to lift the shaft, and often the ram would get unstuck violently, tossing some powder out of the case in the fourth position. It didn't do it on every single round, but almost all of them. I think I may have narrowed it down to the sizing/depriming die. I did check that the die was tight (it has the quick-remove system where you only have to turn 1/8). I couldn't figure out what it was, and stopped reloading because it felt "wrong", like I had to use too much force. Any ideas? Thanks!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should never take much force with this press.

Couple of other items to check include cleaning the priming arm/ram (powder build up can cause the slide to catch and/or the primer ram to not retract fully); making sure that the shell plate hasn't loosened; that there isn't a build-up of powder under the shell plate; and that if you're using a powder though expander that it's clean/OK.

What kind of died are you using? Sounds to me like the cases are getting stuck in sizing die in between upstroke and downstroke. I have this issue with a lee carbide die and I will probably be switching very soon. If you have some one shot with you spray one case and run it through the sizing die. If it goes extremely easy then you know it's your die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take your sizing die completely out and inspect and clean it. If your dies are not carbide, you will need to lube your cases. I would also suggest taking the time to learn how to setup the press. Knowing how everything works and what is going on at each stage will make it easier to diagnose problems and tune your loads.

Take the dies out, one at a time, or all at once, and see if it repeats.

Take your dies apart and clean them thoroughly while you're at it.

I agree with this. I have the lnl and I found that it was a mix of my expander die and sizing die (decapping pin slipped down a little too far) that was making my get a little tight. After resetting and cleaning them out pretty cool. It is as smooth as silk once again

I'm betting a nice blue paint job would probably fix the issue.....I don't own a LNL, but it does sound like a die issue....

And a blue paint job will fix this how exactly???

Yes, it sounds like a sticking or dirty sizing die.

I had the same problem and found it when it was really stiff both upstroke and downstroke it was a multi part problem. One part was dirty FL sizing Lee carbide die. I took apart and cleaned it. That helped a little. Second part was a loose shell plat. If the shell plate is loose and lifts it doesn't let the cases pull straight down. Part 3 Is I noticed that I was side loading the handle a little bit causing the sub plate to shift. Ultimately fixing all this things helped some. WCC brass in particular would hang up real bad. However, when I used any sort of lube on the WCC cases they sized smoothly and with minimal effort. One thing that I want to try that was suggested to me by a friend it to take a .38 cal swab brush and put some polishing/lapping compound on it and run it inside the FL die to try and polish and smooth the die out. I wish I had another brand 9mm FL die to try out and see if that helps, but I don't. Anyways, give these things a try and see if any of them help you as well.

-- Gene

I'm having the same problem. I sent a single case through the system and it sticks pretty bad on the decapping sizing die. All the rest are smooth as silk. Everything is brand new and haven't figured it out yet. After reading this thread I'm going to look and see if the decapping pin to far down.....

This weekend I tweaked everything and still had a problem. Only on the fl sizing die. Band aid solution was to spray a couple hundred 9mm cases with hornady one shot and everything ran smooth as butter. So to me, I'm having an issue with my fl sizing die.

Sorry I didn't chime back earlier! Turns out the issue was the depriming rod that had somehow misaligned itself and was being bent on every press stroke. You can guess what happened to the rod. Hornady was kind enough to send me a new one, and I hope that when I set it up again the issue will be solved.

This weekend I tweaked everything and still had a problem. Only on the fl sizing die. Band aid solution was to spray a couple hundred 9mm cases with hornady one shot and everything ran smooth as butter. So to me, I'm having an issue with my fl sizing die.

That's not a bandaid. That's a pretty common use for case lube. Even with carbide dies.

Weird thing is I'm using the same die I pulled out of my lee pro 1000 and never had this problem when I was using that press or my single stage either. Also don't have that problem loading 45acp or 38spl on my lock and load. Just problems with 9mm and just with my lock and load press

Make sure the shell plate is nice and tight and keep that die clean (break it down if need be). Readjusting the die should help too

Sorry I didn't chime back earlier! Turns out the issue was the depriming rod that had somehow misaligned itself and was being bent on every press stroke. You can guess what happened to the rod. Hornady was kind enough to send me a new one, and I hope that when I set it up again the issue will be solved.

Glad to hear it!

• 4 weeks later...

Another has mentioned it, but your description reminds me of a tight expander. It comes off "violently" given enough force. If it is not really a stuck feeling, just some sort of lockup, then your primers may not be fully seated. Don't brute force it. Start pulling dies when it happens, and you may find the hang up.

Edited by at_liberty

Weird thing is I'm using the same die I pulled out of my lee pro 1000 and never had this problem when I was using that press or my single stage either. Also don't have that problem loading 45acp or 38spl on my lock and load. Just problems with 9mm and just with my lock and load press

Is it possible your press is slightly out of time?