Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Lube Drying Time/Best

Canine582

Not new to reloading but haven't used much case lube over the years (3). I now have both Hornady One Shot and Dillon case lube and I know now what I've been missing out on.

Which one do you like and why and also what is the complete drying time for each. Thanks and glad to be here.

With One-Shot, I give it a couple minutes per spray on my .223 brass. Spray, go swap toolheads on press, spray, continue swapping toolheads, then pile everything into my brass trays. If I'm super concerned about cleanliness, I tumble my ammo when I'm done. One-Shot's been great to me so far.

I can't come up with a reason not to lube cases prior to loading. With pistol (carbide dies or not) it just makes everything so much smoother and consistent. With rifle and full length resizing, its required to avoid stuck cases. Maybe not needed if neck sizing only for a bolt gun...

I lube everything with Dillon lube, dump right into the hopper and start loading, no waiting. tumble after loading for 15 minutes...GTG

jj

I can't come up with a reason not to lube cases prior to loading. With pistol (carbide dies or not) it just makes everything so much smoother and consistent. With rifle and full length resizing, its required to avoid stuck cases. Maybe not needed if neck sizing only for a bolt gun...

I lube everything with Dillon lube, dump right into the hopper and start loading, no waiting. tumble after loading for 15 minutes...GTG

jj

yep, i do the exact.

I used One Shot until I tried the Dillon spray lube. The Dillon product is much better in my humble opinion. I could tell a big difference when sizing 9mm and 45 ACP. I spray, let dry for 5 minutes, then start loading. I spray with 91% alcohol to remove the lube from loaded rounds. Works great for me.

jj

Can you tumble bare lead ammo?

I started using the One Shot due to the #2 Dillon die on my 550 "gauling" something fierce. I helped and bought a extra can. When ordering my 9mm set up to start loading 9mm's, I bought two bottles of the Dillon case lube thinking it served the same purpose as the One Shot does. I was thinking it would go further than the OS.

Just as long as it won't effect the powder, or does it. And is it important to tumble after loading?

I started using the One Shot due to the #2 Dillon die on my 550 "gauling" something fierce. I helped and bought a extra can. When ordering my 9mm set up to start loading 9mm's, I bought two bottles of the Dillon case lube thinking it served the same purpose as the One Shot does. I was thinking it would go further than the OS.

Just as long as it won't effect the powder, or does it. And is it important to tumble after loading?

Dont spray it directly on the cases, spray it into a tupperware bowl or something and THEN add brass, close the lid and shake. I started doin this because the lube inside the case would stick powder to the case wall and I couldnt get an accurate powder measurement when spot checking powder throws.

Also from what I have learned it will not affect powder burn

I have tried One Shot, prefer Dillon, it lubes better, (feels slipperier) and keeps on lubing even when it drys.

I have tried not tumbling it off, and its gummy feeling just bothers me when loading mags, so I tumble it off. Leaving it didnt seem to make a difference thou.

jj

I like spraying a couple of shots of Dillon in my S1050 case feed hopper, throw in the brass and it coats itself as it turns. Was told this trick by a large commercial reloader. Yes, the hopper gets sticky, but I've loaded100,000 plus rounds with out cleaning it once or having a problem....

In my 550s I spray a couple of shots in a 2 gallon bucket, dump in the brass and swirl it around and start reloading. I never take the lube off after Reading an Enos post he found the Dillon lube dries to a waxy finish and seems to feed better in 1911s...that's also been my experience. Lube for me is to make the machines run smoother and faster. Never had a problem with bad powder or primer with Dillon lube but did with a bunch of others...has something to do with Dillon's blend...

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

• 1 month later...

I definitely just got some real good info, but I had some problems with the Lyman lube personally. I wanted to see what it was like so i ordered a bottle off amazon. I lubed the cases the same way i used to do .223. Put brass in a cardboard box, spray twice, close lid and shake.

I am thinking though that the lube somehow contaminated the powder considering i was getting very similar results in some to when i had some ammo that came in contact with water. Most felt like low powder charges and the gun did not cycle. i will try a different lube first then i will probably use the lube in hopper trick if that doesn't work