Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is my S_I legal???

dirtypool40

OK, I have gone the route many talk about and have one gun that I think does it all pretty well.

IDPA ESP, USPSA Limited, IPSC standard, nightstand and carry duty.

Basically a "cross comp" but in .40 with Heinie rear site.

SV light rail frame (short, same as cross comp)

.40 with two barrels fit, obviously only the bushing for IDPA.

tiny plastic Krebs magwell.

IPSC Standard box compliant mags (Dawson wedge pads).

1 piece ss giude rod.

Ambi safety, no mag button, blah blah blah.

Question is: Will this thing fit in the IDPA box / is the IDPA box the same as the IPSC Standard box?

Will any features, besides it being an evil high cap, cause friction with the Tacti-Krishnas?

Looking to shoot IDPA as well as USPSA when I come home and want to know where I stand.

Thanks. (and yes, I will post pictures when it gets back from being Black-T'd).

I have the same gun in 9mm. My gun gets the box treatment at every sanctioned match that I attend. The gun does comply with IDPA size requirements with NO room to spare. You will need the duty length mags (120mm) with the aluminum basepads. You will get all the gamer looks from the match staff, but they cant say anything about your gun no being compliant.

Dave

Yes, as long as the basepads dont extend past the magwell. The IDPA box fits flush with the SVI magwell. The aluminum wedge basepads fit up into the magwell. Your only allowed 10 rounds in IDPA so capacity is not that important. I just load 11 rounds in my first mag, so I dont have to use a barney mag. I keep my ammo in boxes that have 10 rounds per row so I dont lose count. I also mark my first mag with an 11 so I dont confuse it with another. I have received procedurals for having only 10 rounds in my first mag, so you want to make sure of your round count in your mags or drill a witness hole in your mags.

Hope this helps

Dave

I have an SV with a short dustcover frame bushing barre, shoulder cuts on the slide, bomar, and an SVI magwell. With 126mm mags and Dawson wedge basepads it fits the box just fine. As a matter of fact it has more room than my G35 with Heinies, JP magwell and jentra bumpers on the mags.

I remember the gun, it is one good lookin unit. It should be just fine. Derrick built it, correct?

Damn Smoke, you and I think too much alike. Seems like every time I get my ass in a jam on here or ask something you are there to back me up or straighten me out!! :P

Yeah, that "Han Solo Carry gun" you saw on here is one but I ended up selling it to a DEA FTU guy. Nice guy, GM, loved the gun. Derek built it, on an STI frame I got with a discount prize from a match last year. Great gun, I miss it.

The new one is on an SV frame (serial # L2443 thank you very much B) ) a little lighter, and I had Derek fit two barrels. Right now it's back home, I'm in Bolivia. It's headed off to Walt Birdsong for Black Teflon.

It's pretty cool, fits a regular carry holster (the old one was cut down from a long DC). I also had Derek tune it so it will run on factory 1.135 length ammo, for carry.

I love the little plastic Krebs magwell BTW, I am right now faster with it than I ever was with my huge Dawson Ice, and from the IPSC Standard position.

• 2 weeks later...
I guess that would rule out all of the new Glocks w/ the light rail.  :o

Wrong Division.

The limitations on full length dust covers apply only to ESP/CDP. Glocks are in SSP which is under a different set of criteria.

Some guns with the light rails are legal provided they are not full length dust covers. Sig GSR comes to mind.

It's pretty much a self-governing issue as darn near all the 1911's with a lot of meat up at the dust cover and the neato light rails are close to overweight out of the box and once you add all the gizzies folks like to add to their slabsides the gun can tip the scales as it were.

Ted

Light rails are OK in IDPA CDP as long as they aren't FULL LENGTH DUST COVERS. The LGB says "Extended" but there is no standard length, so extended can't be defined. HQ says full is the issue.

Problem will be that the gun has to make weight. For CDP that's 41oz WITH AN UNLOADED MAG IN THE GUN.

I went through this several months ago about a Kimber TLE/RL. The config tested (Wilson Magwell, Ambi Saftey, Hogue finger grips) came in at 40.5oz, so it is OK. However, the Sig GSR out of the box is too heavy. It is 41.6oz per Sig's website. I have heard of a couple that have been "adjusted" so they make the weight.

Back in the summer Sig ran some ads for the GSR in the Tac Journal - I thought it was strange that they were spending the ad $$ in a sport where the gun can't be used...

jumping back into my own thread here, I am not sure what my gun weighs, but it's lighter than my old long DC gun which was right on 40 ounces. With the lighter barrel, guide rod and short DC I am guessing around 35 ounces.

Drifting my own thread a bit, , who makes good kydex mag holders for my SV IDPA legal of course and is my kydex "jacket drop" holster legal? It is vertical with no forward cant or adjustability for that matter, but it does have that little drop from the belt, maybe an inch.

Thanks and back to topic... ;)

I still get a chuckle out of the rules. If I understand this, all I would have to do is shave .0001" off a long DC gun and it's legal, asuming it complies elsewhere? Who needs a heavy DC gun shooting minor at 10y anyhow?

Drifting my own thread a bit, , who makes good kydex mag holders for my SV IDPA legal of course and is my kydex "jacket drop" holster legal? It is vertical with no forward cant or adjustability for that matter, but it does have that little drop from the belt, maybe an inch.

Thanks and back to topic... ;)

I still get a chuckle out of the rules. If I understand this, all I would have to do is shave .0001" off a long DC gun and it's legal, asuming it complies elsewhere? Who needs a heavy DC gun shooting minor at 10y anyhow?

Comp Tac for the mag pouches.

As for your holster I don't think it will pass muster since it's dropped, I could be wrong though. One thing is for sure until the new rule book comes out who knows what will be legal ?

is my kydex "jacket drop" holster legal? It is vertical with no forward cant or adjustability for that matter, but it does have that little drop from the belt, maybe an inch.

if it meets these parameters:

must be specifically designed and marketed for concealed carry/duty use and NOT for range or competition use ...my emphasis

If a holster or ammunition carrier is listed in the law enforcement or concealed carry section of a manufacturer’s catalog and can be worn behind the centerline of a shooter’s body, it is probably appropriate for IDPA use...

All holsters must fully cover the trigger when the pistol is holstered. The front of holsters for autos may be cut no lower than ¼" below the ejection port...

If you can conceal your pistol/holster/ ammunition carriers with a light windbreaker and comfortably draw your pistol while seated in an automobile with bucket seats, your equipment is probably okay.

I think it would be legal to use.

Mark

I think it's www.krebscustom.com. The damned things are pretty expensive, like $25 each, for a dimes worth of plastic, but they are slick. My GS reccomended them before there was an ICE. It's kinda small for USPSA, but with practice you can be fast. Also I think it is IDPA compliant, although that changes regularly.

Yes, it took some practice, but I am faster now than when I had the Bigass Dawson Ice and long mags. I hit a .76 last week (new personal best, thank you very much B) ). Of course my magwell looks like it was shaped with a cheese grater.

PS: Do not be fooled into buying the metal ones, they suck.

Sig GSR's can make the weight limit with a variety of mods/combinations of mods: slim or lightened grips, standard guiderod and plug, aluminum or plastic mainspring housing, aluminum grip safety, etc. Magazine selection also plays a role. Some 1911 magazines are heavier than others.

I'm not sure if they have fixed the problems but there was a lot of negative reviews coming out on the early GSR's. Quality was inconsistend and reliability wasn't up to normal Sig standards. I haven't been following them for awhile so it might be old news. I'm sure sigforum.com has all the latest.

• 3 months later...

Ok, I know there's already a pic thread up on her, but here she is....

TAH DAH!!!!

BTW I stopped by the SV tent at the FL Open. I think I gained a few thousandths with flat top and Heinie sites. They were CRAMMING their bomar gun in. scraping down the sides of the box, but with a 19 rounder (yes the rare ones from Brazil) My light railed beauty slid right in, pretty as you please.

post-551-1112724676_thumb.jpg

post-551-1112724710_thumb.jpg