Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster

Raiden101

Blade Tech, Comptac, Ready tactical, quite a few good brands out there but seems like Blade Tech has the biggest share of the market. I love mine. Best place to buy them or any other USPSA gear is Shooter's Connection. They are a forum dealer and will give you a forum member discount if you register with them.

No one likes the Blackhawks with Serpa? The level 3 is what most LEO's use around here

For competition that is way to much retention unless you are running your duty rig for practice.

What would be your intended use?

If you do want to get into competition there is a range somewhat local to you that has a few clubs that run matches, fantastic group. Markham park is the range.

Not for competition.

Most kydex holsters lock around the trigger guard enough to keep the gun firmly in the holster but snap out quickly during a draw. Serpas aren't popular and some ranges don't allow them because the release puts your finger right by the trigger and accidental discharges have been experienced.

Blade tech is popular as is CompTac and Center of Mass kydex (CoMKydex). All re great. What division were you thinking about shooting as that could help to determine what would be best to use.

I'm not 100% sure what I want to shoot yet. I have a concealment holster that just snaps around the trigger guard that I'll use for carry. I want to try IDPA and USPSA production before I make a final decision. I was talking to me dad the other day about competition shooting, and he seemed really interested in IDPA, so I may end up shooting with him if he gets into it

What gun do you have?

Check out the three brands I mentioned. Even though many USPSA Production shooters run a "dropped offset" holster you should likely get a standard kydex holsters that isn't low to ensure that it will be legal for IDPA. Another alternative is get the Blade Tech DOH sine the dropped offset attachment can be removed for IDPA compliance. Most use a standard outside the waistband belt looped holster with a straight drop. For IDPA you need two mag pouches of your belt and for USPSA Production I run at least 4. All of the above mentioned holster makers are likely to have some type of competition bundle that will combine the most popular holster with a few standard mag pouches to get you started.

I should mention that I started with an Uncle Mike's kydex(plastic) holster, and two cheap Fobus double man pouches. It actually work very well for me for quite awhile and with exchange of those three items being under $20 it was a great deal. Most recommend to try to just use what you have or borrow for the first few matches so you can see what others are running and get a better idea of what you want to do.

Since you are just starting out I would recommend just shooting your carry IWB for IDPA and production, just be very careful when drawing and holstering. Add some mag pouches and you are good to go. After you run that for a bit then you can usually find an older holster at your local clubs that some one would offload for cheaper. Remember that it usually isn't your equipment that holds you back so don't use that excuse. Good luck and safe shooting.

I have Glock 22, and the holster I have is between the waistband and belt. I am planning on going down to Markham park tomorrow evening for the Thursday night USPSA match they have there and see what a match looks like from start to finish.

Thanks again for all the info, this went way beyond what I was expecting

For a budget holster an uncle mikes is a pretty serviceable holster. Something like a blade tech is better though. The only time a retention holster is generally used is in 3 gun where there is sometimes a ton of movement before the pistol is drawn so the retention there definately helps prevent the gun from coming out

There will be people there before 5 to help set up and registration. I would suggest getting there early and talking to as many people as you can. Just let them know you are fairly new and they will accommodate. I Would volunteer to show you around but I'm not local anymore. Have fun.

Good luck and be safe.

Sounds good. Remember USPSA ranges are cold. No loaded firearms, it's a county park so leave your gun bagged and don't "carry" it in, Let them know you are new and they will get you a safety briefing, don't be afraid to ask questions and talk.

Now for the standard disclaimer. Please focus on safety first and foremost, don't try to be a hotshot gunslinger. Be especially mindful of your muzzle angles on stage 1 and 3. Always pay attention to your trigger finger placement. Help to paste and reset. Bring some work gloves to help tear down, splinters suck.

With that being said. Be safe and have a blast. I know I do whenever I am in town.

Wal-Mart has Blackhawk holsters for about 20 bucks, if you're lucky enough to find one that fits your gun. They may also have some double mag holders. For my 1st 6 or 7 USPSA matches I used a plain leather belt, a cheap Blackhawk paddle holster, and a couple of Fobus double magazine holders.

Hey Raiden, I am in the same boat just bought an M&P 40 for carry and competition use and actually looked on the blade tech website they have a IDPA combo for $90. that's a holster and 1 double mag pouch. just FYI