Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster

Raiden101

I'm new to competition shooting as well. I'm a lefty, so a decent hoslter was harder to come by. I finally got a cheapo Fobus combo, holster and mag pouch from Amazon. It was horrible, way to tight. I had to heat the kydex (plastic) and reform the holster with a propane torch (at the trigger area) to loosen the retention. But after these modifications, I'm quite pleased with it now. My two cents, stay away from Fobus - at least for a Glock anyway. Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Most gun shops have a "used holster bin". Dig through those and you might find something that will work for a while (usually cheap, too!). Or check the classified boards on the various forums - used holsters tend to sell for significantly less than what they go for new. Almost everyone has that drawer full of holsters that just didn't work for them and occasionally they get sold. And has also been suggested, there are lots of small, local kydex holster makers popping up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Blade tec or comp tac are both great. I have a comp tac international for my glock 19 and I really like it but was a little pricey $80 + shipping. I have also been using a blade tech black ice doh for my glock 17 and I love it, plus i found it on sale at optics planet for $50 shipped

Kydex is a type of plastic. It can be thermo-formed, meaning if you heat it up (in an oven, for example) it becomes like a floppy piece of toffee, which you can mold around your gun. When it cools, it retains that shape. It's durable and easy to mold, so it provides a really nice holster that is fit exactly to your gun model. However, it's still hard plastic so it can start wearing down the finish of your gun ... if you care about stuff like that! There are ones lined with non scratching materials.

The Blade-tech DOH (Drop offset holster) are nice and fast holsters for USPSA. You might need to remove the "drop and offset" piece in some divisions though.

• 2 weeks later...