Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Give a Revolver Nationals newbie a preview, and things to remember thr

mcb

So I got my email this morning that my entry into the Revolver National match has been received and processed. I am starting to get excited about the match. Been shooting USPSA since early 2005, I am an active RO with my home club. I have shot two or three area matches (worked Area 8 back in 2007 as an RO) and several sectionals and similar level matches. This will be my first Nationals.

So I would ask those that have shot a National match (Specifically last year's Revolver National) before to give me some guidance. Is there anything about the Nations that might be different than shooting an area or sectional match? Anything special I should do to prepare over and above or differently than my usual practice and club matches? Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Look for some tight shots at decent range. Look for a Standards with difficult long range shots. Last years Standards were tough, 6 shots reload 6 shots at 25 yds, 6 SH only at 20 yds and 6 WH only at 15 yds, all in 8 seconds and the middle target was covered half way up with a no-shoot. Work on your accuracy, more than speed.

Also get something for the biting gnats. Didn't seem to be an issue last year, but I've heard they've been pretty bad in past years.

Do a search as there is a product most use, but I can't seem to remember it. And something for the ticks.

Some things that have been used are Buggins' from the local Kmart and Vanilla Body Spray?

If you haven't been to PASA, organize for long walks UPHILL, kid you not both ways! Oh and it always seems to rain on the SS, we just missed it on the Revo Nats doubt if we can get that lucky twice.

Edited by pskys2

They are saying 225 rds for the match. How many rounds did/will you guys bring? All on moon clips I assume? I figure I will go with ~400 on moons for both Minor and Major gun. Registered Minor.

Learn to enjoy cigar smoke. I think it’s a requirement if you shoot revolver.

Fortunately, the match is shot outdoors. The smoke from the cigars and bullet lube won't bother anyone, except a few hyper-sensitive folks who mostly just need something to bitch about! :D

No bitchin' here. Nothing like a good cigar. So are you telling me I should put one or two in my range bag?

Learn to enjoy cigar smoke. I think it’s a requirement if you shoot revolver.

Fortunately, the match is shot outdoors. The smoke from the cigars and bullet lube won't bother anyone, except a few hyper-sensitive folks who mostly just need something to bitch about! :D

No bitchin' here. Nothing like a good cigar. So are you telling me I should put one or two in my range bag?

Absolutely. Plus a couple extra for bribing certain ROs. ;-)

• 2 months later...

1609744_633895536689225_1665838738843717

So I think I am ready for Nationals. Got lots of ammo on moonclips (three different batches, just in case) and borrowed a good backup gun to bring with me.

Make sure your ammunition makes major (or minor for that matter). Several shooters (myself included) went minor at the chrono using ammunition that had always before made major for me by a good margin. Usually my reloads are approximately 177pf and came up 163pf at the Nationals chrono. As I mentioned several others were surprised when they went minor also.

Make sure your ammunition makes major (or minor for that matter). Several shooters (myself included) went minor at the chrono using ammunition that had always before made major for me by a good margin. Usually my reloads are approximately 177pf and came up 163pf at the Nationals chrono. As I mentioned several others were surprised when they went minor also.

Yeah I had that panic this past weekend. I chrono'ed my ammo at my local club on Saturday before we setup our local match and my primary load made 122PF and my backup load made 127PF. Dang!!! Saturday night was spent converting the press back form 45ACP to 38 Short Colt and I worked up a new load that made 140 when I tested it Sunday after the local club match. I cranked out 500 rds between Monday and Tuesday night. I also got some more ammo (that was also tested Sunday) with the backup gun I borrowed so I should be good.

Who's bringing cigars?

I'll throw one in my bag.

Edited by mcb