Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what tube length for 26" Benelli?

MetropolisLake

I have a Benelli SBE II with a 26" barrel that is getting built. Was going to go with a +7 since that is close to the end of the barrel. Should I go longer since I'm already doing it?

One caveat I'm hung up on: it needs to swing well. This will also be a skeet and hunting gun. But, for hunting I'd have to take the tube off anyway in order to install a dowel to limit the number of rounds. So why wouldn't I just put the factory cap back on so it wouldn't be a magnet for game wardens / conservation officers? With that in mind I wonder if I am being dumb and should just get however long of one I need for 3-gun and just take the thing off any other time. Dudes would laugh at my rig anyway at the skeet club.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I have a 26" barrel and a +9 NC tube. It sticks out 8 1/4" past the end of the barrel and the whole gun from stock to the end of the tube measures about 56". It's a little crazy but I can get 13+1 rounds. I'm 6'2", though, so transitions and barrel dumping aren't too bad for me.

I've shot trap with my 21" M2 with the tube sticking out past the barrel. I love listening to the comments when I'm not right there. Most think it is the Sheriff's gun (he works nights at the range). "He has to shoot with what's in his patrol car". Others just wait til I pick it up and ask "what the heck is that thing?" Mine holds 10 in the RCI tube; I'm only 5'1" and haven't had barrel troubles yet, I do have to make sure I start well back of the barrel to angle it in. And, if I get the chance to go pheasant hunting behind a good dog, that's the gun I'll take. I'll make a plug if I have to. The tube weighs less than a 28" barrel (most hunting guns); I don't think it bothers the swing. If you don't load it up, no worries.

A +7 (because it’s a close match to the 26” barrel length) would be my minimum choice. You can load 10 * in the tube when the situation allows.

If an extra 5-6” sticking out in front of the barrel does not offend you go with the +9 so you can load up to 12 in the tube when the opportunity presents itself.

* As you know most matches will limit you to 9 total in the gun at the start position, after the beep you can generally load more.

If you decide to go with the +9 let your gunsmith know, he might need to order the tube. ;)

(and you’ll need a new gun case too)

Edited by GunCat

I am the opposite on arial targets as I find them much easier with a heavier gun. I do come from a skeet background where the 10-11 pound guns are the norm and its not uncommon to see one closer to 12 pounds. As a result of that, I handle a heavier gun much better than a very light gun.

• 3 weeks later...

I just went with the +9 after reading an article that Jesse wrote about how to set up your Benelli and posted it to multiple forums. From it:

"When I first started 3 gunning and bought my M2 I was running a +5 tube that held 8 rounds simply because it looked the most tactical being lined up with the end on the barrel. I then got over how it looked and realized how important it was to have an extra round or two in the gun. So I bought a +6 tube that held 9 rounds. I then added an XXL end cap which bumped my capacity to 10 in the magazine tube. I ran that setup for several months. I finally went to a +8 tube w/XXL cap that holds 12 rounds. I realized that the extra length wasn't a problem but being able to weak hand load all four shells out of my caddy on top of a full gun after the start buzzer was huge. Having extra room for shells affords you so many more options on when and how many shells you can load during a big shotgun course of fire. Nordic now makes a straight up +9 tube. So you don't have to buy the longer cap."

So, that sold me. Pic is attached. It's friggin long, big enough I can't seem to get a decent pic that shows any of the extras. If I get tired of it I'll bump back down to a +7 but fitting in a normal case seems to be the biggest disadvantage at this point. Ended up making an SBE II 53.5" long so hopefully it will still fit in an extended 54" Brownells 3-gun soft case. Interestingly enough when you are looking down the rib, you can't tell it's there. Probably not hardly any heavier than a +7 either. I do not plan to run this for anything other than 3-gun and maybe coyote hunting. If I go turkey hunting or skeet shooting I will probably be taking it off.

post-49714-0-24917900-1395243445_thumb.j

I had run 10's in the past but this past weekend I ran my first match with the 12 it gave me a few options for loading that a 10 wouldn't. I say game if your gonna game.

Was thinking about a long shotgun stage at a local 3-gun match too. Of course I'm slow so "not sucking so bad" would help a ton, but otherwise... it was 24 rounds broken up into 4 groups of 6. With the long tube you could have just topped the thing off right off the buzzer then only fully reload the thing one time. Any other tube length would have required an at least a slightly more awkward and time consuming combination of reloads.

There is a big down side to running a tube that makes your shotgun look like a surf casting fishing rig. They sit very tall in dump barrels. Sometimes so tall they become part of the stage. This gun wouldn't have needed a $300.00 make over if it had been just 5.5" shorter. This twelve round tube wasn't the help they thought it was. I guess an M2 comfort tech stock isn't "hard" cover after all :)

post-1176-0-60983600-1395623671_thumb.jp

Edited by kurtm

There is a big down side to running a tube that makes your shotgun look like a surf casting fishing rig. They sit very tall in dump barrels. Sometimes so tall they become part of the stage. This gun wouldn't have needed a $300.00 make over if it had been just 5.5" shorter. This twelve round tube wasn't the help they thought it was. I guess an M2 comfort tech stock isn't "hard" cover after all :)

IIRC something like that happened at the 2012 Blue Ridge match also.

I’ve got the remnants around here somewhere of a “shoot through” Comfortech stock AND browning BAR wood stock that got hit by the same bullet…talk about bad luck!

Don't shoot my shotgun... with my other guns. Got it. :) I'm not exactly pushing the limit enough to have to worry too much about such things yet.

But yeah it is way long. Surf cast fishing rig is a good analogy. It feels acceptable with a typical number of shells in it but am worried about inserting and extracting from barrels a little and how it would feel when fully loaded. Better pic from the other thread:

post-49714-0-39958000-1395509682.jpg