Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match this Sat.!

traxman

I have lurked here for a while, but will now take this chance to make my first post.

I am shooting in my first match this weekend. It is with a local club (Sacramento, CA), and I'll be shooting my duty gun (Sig 226R, .40) with my duty gear. I'll shoot Production.

I'm going to try an rustle up some extra mags before Saturday morning, as all I have are the three that were issued to me. Other than that, I'm ready to go! It will be my first formal shooting competition of any kind, and I am excited.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. For now, I just want to see if this is something I want to dive into. (Ya' know, before I spend more money! :D )

Later,

traxman

Traxman,

Shoot the match director an e-mail. There's a possibility that someone else may be able to bring/loan you some mags as well --- it might just take a phone call to the right person. Also inquire how early the MD would like you for a new shooter briefing/safety check. Above all, Have a GREAT time!

Have fun, be safe.

Let them know you are new, and they SHOULD ask a more expereinced shooter to sort of "host" you through the match.

Don't go first on any stage, and remind the RO you're new for the first couple of stages or anything complex.

Watch how the better shooters do things, not just how fast, but where they go to shoot what. They are good at simplifying things, which is what you want to do.

Shoot the points, don't be lured by some Open GM's times or splits. Enjoy the game.

report back to us.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. I can't wait. (I hope I can sleep tonight)

Should I really shoot limited? I guess I don't understand how that will work? Anyway.

we'll see when I get there. I have three 12 rnd mags and one 10 rounder.

I talk ed to the match organizer yesterday. He said they go out of their way to help new guys, and that I won't be shooting first on any stage. I will be showing up plenty early, and only have to pay half price to boot! (another first timer benefit)

I'll let you know how it goes.

traxman

traxman...i'll be at the match tomorrow...introduce yourself (ask for butch) and i'd be happy to shoot the match with you. been doing this for 19 years and this particular club is real kick back.

i'm sure your mag supply will be fine. i'm doing one stage and it will only be 19 rounds...the others will probably be 24 each, knowing the MD.

You will have a blast. I shot my first USPSA match last month and tool 1st place limited unclassified. Now I am trying to decide who to buy my 3 gun AR from, and get a Benelli M1 ready to roll. Might as well jump in with both feet.

Let me know how you did.

Dave

traxman...i'll be at the match tomorrow...introduce yourself (ask for butch) and i'd be happy to shoot the match with you.  been doing this for 19 years and this particular club is real kick back.

i'm sure your mag supply will be fine.  i'm doing one stage and it will only be 19 rounds...the others will probably be 24 each, knowing the MD.

I'll find you. I'll have my pregnant wife in tow. She wants to see what her husband is getting himself into. (She's a good cheerleader too :D )

WOW is about all I can say! :D:D

I shot yesterday morning, and it was everything that I expected. I shot with the Capital Practical Shooters League. There were abunch of great guys shooting. I felt completely welcome, and everyone went out of their way to help out "THE NEW GUY" I paid alot less than everyone else, and didn't shoot first once. (It's amazing how much that helps)

outerlimits:

I appreciated all your help. I have to say that I was a bit intimidated at first, and it was good being welcomed so warmly by so many different people.

As for my experience and first impression of the match, well, I wasn't sure of myself and how I was going to handle the different courses of fire. I just did what came natural. I felt that I did OK. I need a couple of more mags. (I shot with three) I also need a ton of more practice.

I have to say, I am surprised at how fast the shooting really is. It's amazing how quick some of those guys were. I got a couple of mikes on the first stage, and found out how costly they really are.

Overall, I am really amped. I am definately going back next month, and will be better prepared with both equipment and mental preparedness.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that anyone wanting to shoot matches with the Capital Pistol Shooting League at the Sac Valley Shooting Center do so without hesitation. They treat newbies really well, and have a very upbeat atmosphere. Here's their website:

http://actionpistol.org/capsl/capsl.htm

The only negative thing I can say about Yesterday was that it was COOOOLD out, and I nearly froze! :D

traxman