Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7-Shot 5" Barrel vs. 8-Shot 6.5" Barrel

Dr.J

Good evening -
I want to begin shooting ICORE and Steel Challenge matches and want to get one gun, for the time being, that will let me be competitive in both. I am setup to load 9mm and .45acp on my Dillon 550 and don't want to purchase the dies, components to load another caliber at this time. I want to purchase one of the new S&W 9mm revolvers when they become available in my area. I believe that the 8-shot, 61/2" barrel 929 would be the best, but was wondering if the 7-shot 5 " 986 would work as well. Bottom line does the extra 11/2" inch of barrel and one additional shot make a significant of a difference. I'd appreciate your comments. Dr. J

Good Morning And Yet Another Question -
While waiting, and I understand it may be a long wait, for a 929 would purchasing a holster and speed loaders for my 6-shot 617 be a good way of practicing shooting ICORE and Steeel Challenge events? If so, what equipment would I need, e.g., holsters, speed loaders, etc. Thanks,
Tom

I shoot SC with a 6" 386 and love the gun and do well with it. If I were shooting a match where I really want to place well instead of making noise and having fun I shoot a 627 for the extra round. Yesterday I shot a boot leg SC match I run with a M10 and did pretty well with it, I was a bit slower knowing I didn't have much if any room for misses. If I were buying one revolver to do everything with it'd be a 8 shot.

I'm new to this forum however not new to revolvers or competition. I shoot an M&P R8 for steel challenge. I used to use a 625 for that as well as ICORE. I mainly shoot SC now, so for me 8 shots is the way to go. I know there have been some rule changes for USPSA etc, with that in mind go for 8. I chose the R8 because it is half a pound lighter than the 627, with light loads for SC it's great. If I was shooting heavier loads I would go with the 627. Do I look forward to the 929? YES, although I wouldn't mind owning another R8. One with optic one with iron sights.

Edited by ByronH

A longer barrel swings fine if it is a light profile.

I was originally skeptical until I shot bucklands 25-2 in 2012 at A7.

You need to give yourself a smidge more space around obstacles, but it swings just fine.

The seven shot gun is perfectly fine for ICORE and... well.... your nightstand?

-ld

The 7 shot can definitely work well for icore. There was 1 instance at the 2013 irc where 8 was an advantage from a stage planning perspective, but I can't remember any other part of the match where having 8 was a benefit except of course for the comfort of make ups.

• 1 month later...

What S&W should have done is skipped the 7 shot and just make the 8 shot 9mm Revo with both 4 and 6 in barrel lengths. There was no need for two different models. Makes it tougher to find moon clips for, and holsters, etc. I think they blew it doing it the way they did. I'll wait for a shorter barrel option on the 8 shot before I get one.

-Cuz

What S&W should have done is skipped the 7 shot and just make the 8 shot 9mm Revo with both 4 and 6 in barrel lengths. There was no need for two different models. Makes it tougher to find moon clips for, and holsters, etc. I think they blew it doing it the way they did. I'll wait for a shorter barrel option on the 8 shot before I get one.

-Cuz

I think that there are a lot of people out there that like S&W products and like the idea of a 9mm revolver, but don't like N frames.

Anyone think it possible to order a special order through performance center of a 929 but with the 986 5" barrel. Mechanically, can it be done?

Buy the regular 929 and put on a custom barrel of whatever length you want and then sell that nasty 6.5" barrel to me for scrap. :devil: