Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which choke for Versamax Tactical

Zoomy

I know this has probably been hashed to death but the more I read the more confused I am.

Some say the stock choke is fine and others say a light modified is needed. Then There are those that say anything more that a cylinder choke will mess with the wad and pattern.

Before 3-Gun the only shotgun experience I had was shooting rabbits with an old Savage side by side.

Chokes seem to be a mystery to me and more art than science.

I would like to purchase once and not look back so please school me. Which one will work the best in this sport? Does an extended choke make sense since I am installing a Carbon Arms 9 round Versatube?

Not looking to save money either. Been down that sorry road too many times.

Go to CDNN Sports and buy 3 or 4 different sizes. Depending on the stage you may need cyl, full or something in between. At $10 per choke, it's worth having choices. Also, I prefer the extended for ease of changing and to double check they are tight before a stage.

You only need two chokes. Light Modified is the general go-to choke for most stages. It reliably knocks down hard set plates, puts most of your pattern on spinners, works well with slugs and is open enough that flying targets are easy to hit. The only time I don't use LM is on a stage that is all clay targets. For that I use a Cylinder Bore choke.

My 2 cents

I agree with the above. I purchased the extended LM and FULL chokes from CDNN for 10 bucks each. I also recently have taken my "tactical" choke that is provided with the versamax tac and but the end off (making it tac ops legal) so I have a cyl bore extended choke as well.

I use a diffuser for all clays, light modified for 99% of everything else, but keep a light full in the bag for special occasions such as plate racks at distance, or a spinner that's a little further than I like for LM

For 3 gun you can likely get by with a light mod but if you do any shotgun matches or other shotgun shooting, I like to have a skeet or cylinder for clays in the air etc...(fairly close ) an Improved cyl, light mod, and at least a full or light full for longer shots on steel etc... You also may need to control your pattern better if there are no-shoots next to your targets etc... so I have 5-6 chokes and I use the extended as they are nicer to deal with -

Pat's article should be mandatory reading before getting a bunch of "It feels like" or "steel drops with authority" or some other non-quantified answer. Again Mssr Kelly, thanks for doing the actual testing.

Edited by Neomet

You only need two chokes. Light Modified is the general go-to choke for most stages. It reliably knocks down hard set plates, puts most of your pattern on spinners, works well with slugs and is open enough that flying targets are easy to hit. The only time I don't use LM is on a stage that is all clay targets. For that I use a Cylinder Bore choke.

My 2 cents

After reading Pat's article and getting more and more match time in, I agree with this almost 100%. I have found that for heavier knockover buckshot targets at 30 or 35 yards need an IM if you do not have flight control buck.

Patrick's article really brought it home. thanks for the help. I will be picking up an Cylinder, LM and IM and set up in the back yard range for some serious practice and testing. I have some 6" rounds and a couple of poppers and clay holders to work with. Hopefully I will have a plan by the time things get going here in spring.