Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need 9mm Major Recipe for CZ Czechmate

velo918

3 hours ago, bludog said:

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.   I contacted Bevin Grams a couple of days ago--waiting to hear back.  My minor loads have had some reliability problems when longer than 1.14 with coated rn bullets, but at 1.13 or shorter they've been great.  Hoping to avoid reaming the barrel. A friend who has loaded for a major Czechmate told me that the Everglade 124 jhp rn bullet profile will give me a little more room to work with, we'll see.  I will try the plunk and spin test once they arrive.  I've not shot 9mm major before so there is a learning curve for me. I'm shooting uspsa , trying to get to 165pf.

Ah, here we go. 

Your life in 9major will be a lot easier if you use either plated or JHP projectiles. Think of it like a condom between powder and lead. 

As for OAL in Czechmate is basically "as long as it fits in your mag, and plunks in the barrel"

FWIW, 1.10" with Frontier 124FP and 1.19" with Berrys 124RN

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I started with the RN because it's what i had on hand but i've settled on either everglades JHP or RMR JHP, they both feed great and keep the lead away from the powder. i measured the seating depth from a previous major load for an approximation on case volume rather than OAL when i was swapping brands or weights to get a rough starting point when working up a new major load.  if i recall my124 jhp length is somewhere around 1.130

i also really like JHP for major because i use federal SRP that are silver in color for major. my minor loads are all fiocchi or winchester and are gold in color, and are pretty now pretty much always a RN projectile.  so if i find a stray JHP with a silver primer i know it's only for the open gun.

also i'd recommend your target be about 170pf for some wiggle room. finding out halfway through a match that you're shooting open minor would really suck!

So doing the plunk and spin test my oal limit seem to be 1.145. The round freely falls into and out of the barrel at that length. Also seems to function in the mags.  I've been told that the Everglade 124 jhp with 8 grains of hs6 at 1.16 will produce major power factor.  Any suggestions as to how much reduction (if any) of powder will be needed for the shorter oal(1.145) ?

I would start around 6.5-7 and work up. If you do not have a Chrono I would invest in one of these first. When developing a load that has 'no data' one needs to know how fast the bullet is traveling. you need to observer primer deformation as well. there is a guy on here called Memphis Mechanic who reams out the cambers of these for a very very reasonable rate and wicked quick. I has him ream mine about a year ago. Now running our to 1.160+ no issues   

7 minutes ago, bludog said:

Thanks to all for the advice.  I've reached out Memphis Mechanic and will try to go the 1.16 route

Another shoutout to MemphisMechanic. He reamed three barrels for my Czechmate and I can now load up to 1.170+. Makes loading 9major less of a hassle.

Outstanding service and Turnaround was very quick.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 5:03 PM, TK66 said:

I bought a throating reamer and did it myself in about 2 min.  Very easy to do.  After that my only limitation on COL was the magazines.

can you point me to what you bought?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been able to get to 165 pf with 7.8 of HS6 at 1.16 using 125 grain coated round nose.  The group size is not as tight as with a jhp but close .  The round nose seem to run more reliably in the mags as well. Feeding the 1.16 rounds was not consistent without tuning the mags.  Seems to run well now.  I have learned to become more fanatic about cleaning the mags after every use.