Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Open gun load.....I found tons of Power Pistol? Does it work?

Tattoo

Hey All,

I am getting a new to me used 9mm Major Open Gun and I am trying to find powder. I stumbled into 40lbs of Power Pistol that I can buy......but I do not see it being popular? Seems like it would work? Anyone try it???

Thanks!

T

Edited by Tattoo

I used it with some 147s one time and worked great but when I looked for more loads with a 124 or 115, I couldn't find any. That was years ago so maybe there's more data out now but I doubt there is much. Is there anyway to get HS6, WAC, Silhouette, True Blue, AA7, 3N37/3N38, and I've heard Blue Dot, WSF, or N350 will work too?

Yes I tried it and did not like it But I use SP2.

At one time Power pistol was a go to powder for Dan Bedell

Interestingly enough its a DAn Bedell gun. What does he recommend now? I have Silhouette and a little 3n37 to try.

And btw what is SP2...not familiar? Not that I could find any of it or any other powder for that matter....

T

Edited by Tattoo

SP2 is a foreign powder that basically nobody imports into the US anymore. Supposed to be the bomb in 9MAJOR but if it's unavailable whats the point.

I would buy the power pistol to use for trading purposes. Silhouette and 3N37 are both good 9MAJOR powders though.

SP2 is a foreign powder that basically nobody imports into the US anymore. Supposed to be the bomb in 9MAJOR but if it's unavailable whats the point.

I would buy the power pistol to use for trading purposes. Silhouette and 3N37 are both good 9MAJOR powders though.

Thanks for the SP2 intel! I am gunna try a pound of the Power Pistol. Seller said I could try some and buy more if it works. I saw a chart posted here that showed it worked the comp well. Thanks!

Hello: You have 2 good powders to use right now. The Silhouette will be the softer / flatter of the two you have. 3N37 will be cleaner and a littel harder on the hand but shoots fairly flat. I would keep looking for Hodgdon HS-6, Winchester Auto Comp or Silhouette. Alliant Blue Dot will work also but not the best. You can check with some shotgun shooters to see what they have. Good luck on your powder searching, it is scarry out there. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I use Power Pistol in my comped Bianchi Open Revolver. It works great for that. We're talking minor loads with a 125 gr. bullet at 130 PF. It shoots flat as Kansas. I should know - I'm IN Kansas.

Everyone around here tells me it is not a good powder for major - too fast.

Hello: You have 2 good powders to use right now. The Silhouette will be the softer / flatter of the two you have. 3N37 will be cleaner and a littel harder on the hand but shoots fairly flat. I would keep looking for Hodgdon HS-6, Winchester Auto Comp or Silhouette. Alliant Blue Dot will work also but not the best. You can check with some shotgun shooters to see what they have. Good luck on your powder searching, it is scarry out there. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the help Eric. I just found 4lb of Silhoutte. I will keep searching for the others and hope the great powder drought ends....

T

Lots of PP haters here. It's very loud and blasty but will work just fine for 9 major. I shot it for years in a Glock and a P9. I've run it up to 180PF with no signs of pressure.

Thanks. I still may try a pound if I can not find the others listed..... Or to trade.

T