Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going back after a 1050 ?

Hell no.

My 550 sits lonely and depressed.

Matter of fact, I now recommend a 1050 as FIRST PRESS to my friends who have common sense and a basic understanding of mechanics.

I added the Mr. Bulletfeeder over the holidays.

What have I been doing with my life???????????

I do all the time. I have at least 1 of all the Dillons on my bench and other presses too. For cranking out a bunch of ammo quick, the 1050's will keep their jobs. They are not the best choice in the world for swapping calibers and working up loads though.

For example on a 550 you can swap between 458 socom, 22-250, 260 remongton, 7-08 and many more in less than 30 seconds and they are not the kind of rounds I load thousands of at a time.

Hello: My favourite 2 Dillon presses are the RL1050 and the Square Deal B. I only have 2 RL1050's now but would buy another SDB in 45acp if the price was right. I have had a 550 and it was a great press for lots of calibers but I only shoot a couple now. Thanks, Eric

Ive got a 1050 with auto drive dedicated to brass prep. I could set it up with a bullet feeder and another tool head for loading on, but thats 1000+ dollars. SO, ive never loaded on it BUT I understand its feature set and WHY its great to load on.

Needed to load up 12k rounds of 9mm. Head on over to my old mans house where the 550b sits and is setup for 9mm. Give it a quick cleaning, check powder thrower is still on(yup, still where I left it months ago) and off I go. Using mixed brass I bought for this batch. Tons of crimped primer pockets i.e. locked up press, wasted strokes....wouldnt be a problem on the 1050. Every 300-400 rounds the dang primer feeder(my enemy on this press) gets so gunked up it wont feed right so I got to take it apart and clean it and re-assemble, works great for 300-400 more rounds, rinse and repeat. Loaded for 8 hours, got 3k rounds done. Was SO frustrating just KNOWING that most of the issues I was having would NOT have been an issue on a 1050. 8 hours on a 1050 with bullet feeder would have resulted in ~8k rounds.

So I think maybe my tax return is going to go to a 1050 and Mr. Bullet Feeder for 9mm. Ill skip the auto drive(for now).

Ive got a 1050 with auto drive dedicated to brass prep. I could set it up with a bullet feeder and another tool head for loading on, but thats 1000+ dollars.

I build my own collators and bought GSI's feeder that includes a billet tool head. With everything except the collator they cost $321. Not a bad price for a tool head and bullet feeder, when you consider that a stock tool head from Dillon is $198.95.

8 hours on a 1050 with bullet feeder would have resulted in ~8k rounds.

Once you get in the groove, you won't need a bullet feeder to hit 1,000 output per hour.......

With a bullet feeder and some experience, my guess would be for output around 1,500 per hour, or roughly 5.5 hours for 8,000 rounds....

Once you get in the groove, you won't need a bullet feeder to hit 1,000 output per hour.......

With a bullet feeder and some experience, my guess would be for output around 1,500 per hour, or roughly 5.5 hours for 8,000 rounds....

My current 1050 with the auto drive runs at 1000 rounds per hour. No way am I putting my hand in there to drop a bullet. Not saying its not possible, but I personally dont think I could run that fast placing bullets by hand. I know the 1050 can run fast when used with a bullet feeder. I have seen guys hand cranking them 1200+ rounds an hour. Just wish the primer feed held more than 100 primers.

My current 1050 with the auto drive runs at 1000 rounds per hour. No way am I putting my hand in there to drop a bullet. Not saying its not possible, but I personally dont think I could run that fast placing bullets by hand. I know the 1050 can run fast when used with a bullet feeder. I have seen guys hand cranking them 1200+ rounds an hour. Just wish the primer feed held more than 100 primers.

100 rounds takes me about 3 - 3.5 minutes of cranking the handle. What slows down the output is needing to refill primers, powder, bullets, and cases, and the very occasional hickup.....

If I start shooting regularly again, a bullet feeder is on my list of next desirable upgrades, as is an automatic primer filler....

I built a rotary auodrive for my 1050 a few months ago, it will load 1500 9mm per hour. I could never go back to a normal press.

I have been searching for a used Camdex but have not had any luck so far. There has been an older Camdex on Gunbroker or a few weeks now but it is missing too many things for his price and Camdex offer no parts for an old machine like that.

The guy that makes the rotary conversions for the 1050 had a buddy(I think the guy is on here) that had a Camdex(same guy that had him design the rotary conversion). The guy that builds the rotary conversion said the Camdex was awesome when it worked, but they spent so much time messing with it that the 1050 with rotary drive, although slower, was consistent in its ammo production and could make more ammo because it just didnt break down as easily as the Camdex. I think you can get a sprocket for the rotary drive to turn it up to 1500. It comes at 1200, I turned mine down to 1000 for brass prep(gives a clean cut vs. leaving scrap on the case mouth), but I think in his chart he gives you the correct sprocket tooth count to go up as well.

Can the Mr. Bullet Feeder keep up at 1500 rounds an hour? I would think it shouldnt necessarily have a limit, but it might.