Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 as an EDC?

3djedi

I've been training with my 2011 Eagle for about 6 months now and love it. However, I recently started working with my EDC polymer walther PPQ and had some difficulty working the trigger effectively. I found it awkward. Is it a matter of training with both to be effective with both or would it be better to just carry a 1911 style pistol for CCW? I guess I shouldn't have trained exclusively with 2011 for so long! Is there any reason not to carry a 1911?

Since one of my primary reasons for competing in USPSA and IDPA (besides the fun!) is for training and being a responsible concealed carry gun owner I'm trying to decide if I should A) get rid of the 2011 and compete with a polymer striker gun or B) Keep the 2011 for USPSA and IDPA and carry a 1911 style for CCW. I'm just not sure what I want to do! Any input into this dilemma would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by 3djedi

Shoot whatever you feel most comfortable with. Carry whatever you are confident with (reliability, fit, trigger, etc.). If you are proficient with the 2011 you should be fine with other guns. If you are significantly off the mark with your ppq it may be your trigger discipline and that's an easy fix with a lot of dry fire. Just my opinion

Or buy a long slide PPQ and compete with that :sight:

But honestly, if you find that your shooting skill varies from gun to gun, then it's your trigger control that's messed up. Keep the sights on the target while the trigger finger moves to the rear. That's all that needs to happen.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Well I got used to the 2011 zero take up and the polymer guns have long travel. Im sure its just a matter of practicing with both. I just ignored the ppq for a long time aftet getting the eagle. I may be just grasping for an excuse to add to the collection!

As a rule, if you're going to depend on a gun for your life, I'd avoid anything shorter than 5" barrel wise. Shorter barrels accelerate recoil spring wear. You'll want to keep a detailed round count and keep ahead of maintenance. Another problem with single stack 1911's would be the more narrow magazine well, which will make for a harder reload. There are better carry guns, but if you choose a 1911, I'd go for a government size.

Or just hit the range with the PPQ and start shooting production, in which the Walther would likely excel. If it still doesn't work, the gun is obviously defective and must obviously be sent to me. Shouldn't have a defective gun, but I'll jump on that grenade for you :D

Love the EMP! It's toward the top of my TGL. Only things I might have to address are a few sharp places near the MSH and the heavy barrel. I probably will never have enough money to have it fluted so I will probably live with it.

YMMV

Richard

My competition guns are 5 inchers. But my EDC gun is a Lightweight Commander. If you're proficient with the 1911 operation pattern, stick with it. With muscle memory being what it is, if something happens, your brain will go into auto-pilot. If it knows a 1911, that's what you should have in your hand when the situational stress kicks in.

Just my .02

Smitty

Since one of my primary reasons for competing in USPSA and IDPA (besides the fun!) is for training and being a responsible concealed carry gun owner I'm trying to decide if I should A) get rid of the 2011 and compete with a polymer striker gun or B) Keep the 2011 for USPSA and IDPA and carry a 1911 style for CCW. I'm just not sure what I want to do! Any input into this dilemma would be appreciated. Thanks!

The PPQ is a little bit different breed, out of the box. I can usually leave all my stock rear sights on, and just get a Trij or other night frt. sight. The rear PPQ sight is a "combat sight". Try a different rear sight. I Ccarry a 5" 1911 every now and again, and also a 4" 2011 now and again. Just get used to the PPQ with a new rear sight?

I feel like it would be "ideal" to carry the same type of platform as what I compete with. If I continue with the 2011 eagle maybe I should carry a 1911 style pistol. If I carry the PPQ then maybe I should compete with a polymer striker fired gun. I love the Q and would like to get a 5" ppq in .40 for limited but the only problem is aftermarket parts....no magwells and no high count mags. The stock ppq in .40 only holds 11 rounds. Fine for IDPA and USPSA production but not so good for limited.

I fondled a SA EMP 9mm at the LGS yesterday and really liked it. However, a post above claimed that anything smaller than 5" might be trouble. But the emp was designed from the ground up for the 9mm cartridge and the small 3" barrel. Have they proven to be reliable and dependable? I also looked at an STI duty 4" that was really nice but also really heavy. Might pull my pants right off! lol

Also, are modern 1911's as reliable and dependable as polymer striker guns? I mean, can you throw it in the mud and the lake and still function?

Are you normally in situations where this scenario would come up?

Test it with several SD rounds to see what performs best/reliably and get quality mags that work for your gun.

Don't over think this.

Also, are modern 1911's as reliable and dependable as polymer striker guns? I mean, can you throw it in the mud and the lake and still function?

Are you normally in situations where this scenario would come up?

Test it with several SD rounds to see what performs best/reliably and get quality mags that work for your gun.

Don't over think this.

lol...why yes! What if it's raining and you get into a struggle on the ground and the pistol gets all caked with mud! I do have a tendency to way overthink things. lol

I guess even glocks fail in that case.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIz8Gljfjw8

Well, maybe if you end up mud wrestling an alligator into a swamp, you might want to go with a different gun.

I'll take that useless STI off your hands for cheap, though. It probably won't handle that special ops dynamic tactical ninja use.

Edited by Haraise

I'd say an STI VIP, unless you wear glasses. (I have rather poor eye sight, and after a friend had me try, I realized I can still aim w.o. glasses w. a laser.)

If you do wear glasses, I'd suggest an Al framed commander for EDC. Rather comfortable to carry, and the same operation.

Well, maybe if you end up mud wrestling an alligator into a swamp, you might want to go with a different gun.

I'll take that useless STI off your hands for cheap, though. It probably won't handle that special ops dynamic tactical ninja use.

LOL