Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So why major Multi-gun matches in the upper midwest?

This is not a gripe, but more so a start to a conversation. Why are there no major multi-gun matches in the upper mid-west? It seems to me a large majority of the biggest match sponsors (bless their hearts) are from the upper midwest, i.e JP Industries, DPMS, Nordic Components, Brownells, Taccom, RCI, Hornady and most likely a few I've left out.

How how is it we can have so many big hitters in the industry right in our back yard, but still have to drive 500+ miles to attend any major match? Granted we do have an awesome shotgun match thanks to the MN 3-Gun Group. But I still wonder why there's nothing even remotely close for major 3-gun matches.

Is it range facility? Lack of someone to take the reigns? No regional support? Lack of volunteers? Like I said, this is not a gripe, I'm just trying to figure this out. I know the DPMS Tri-Gun was shut down a year before I got into 3-gun for BS legal reasons, but man, there has to be the resources somewhere in the the area to pick up the torch.

There has to be somewhere up here that could hold a major match between MN, WI, IA, ND, SD, MI or NE. We've got some phenomenal 3-gun shooters here and the best sponsors in the sport. Yet no "home field" match. What happened?

Please discuss.

Chris

"Build it, they will come".

We just need a facility that can handle a major, I think the people to run it and volunteers can be handled.

I did a Dry Fire only 3-gun class at Arnzen Arms in the Twin Cities metro area last weekend. Below zero weather, snow and blowing snow caused a Winter Advisory, and still over 20 people showed up to do 3-gun without any bullets. Dedicated or Nuts would be a decision that has to be made by others.

I'm in Kansas City, MO and drive 8-9 hours for the Pro-Am, Fallen Brethren, Blue Ridge, and now further for STI Texas MG....not to mention 2-4 hours for club matches each month!

If you could build it, set the date where match conflicts are minimal, and have it within the upper midwest......count me in!

I did talk to a local outfitter/sporting goods retailer in our area a while back, that has enough land to do a natural terrain match similar to Blueridge, but they didn't seem at all interested in the idea for liability reasons.

I'm not targeting MN in general (though that would be great), but the whole upper midwest. I just find it hard to believe that there's not a venue that could host a major match within 500 miles.

I grew up in WI. It seems everybody up there hunts but not many shoot at least not like we do. Last time I looked there were only a few USPSA clubs and one 3 gun in the entire state. I'm guessing that's gonna be similar in MN, IA, MI as they all have the save hunting culture and 8 months of cold crappy weather. If somebody can convert all the guys wearing blaze orange at Lambeau Field every Sunday to Multi Cam wearing 3 gunners I bet there will be a major match up Nort der hey real soon.

DPMS in St. Cloud used to host one of the biggest matches in the country. MN 3 Gun Group hosts the longest running shotgun match in the country.

I'm told that when 3GN was looking for venues for their regional matches they searched long and hard for something in the MN or WI area. Rumor has it that they may add more Reginald in 2015 if all goes well this year. Time To start looking for a club.

Great topic! There is a lack of proper faculties in Iowa (mostly bowling lane type ranges instead of bays - blame the natural terrain and lack of investment in private ranges). The nearest I've found for major matches is the green valley rifle & pistol club just north of Columbia, MO (they also host the Bianchi Cup). I think Brownell's had a decent range about an hour east of Des Moines too. I'd love to see something get started up. There seems to be a growing population of non-hunters that are getting into the industry for competition. Just need to keep entry costs low to get the younger guys into the game. Prize tables would be a good draw too!

Edited by IronicTwitch

Isn't there a large range in Fayette, MO that holds several major matches? Minnesota 3-Gun group seems to be doing a good job of growing the sport.

CMMG's range is where the Midwest 3-Gun and US Amateur 3-Gun Championship are held, as well as monthly matches.

Here in MI, we only have smaller local clubs for monthly matches. 3 that I know of, one had a 600 yard range but they have their own special set of rules and dont plan on changing them which wouldn't conform to 3GN. Another club i believe has a 550 range amd jist started 3gun at the end of the season and we hope they grow and the club gives them the full use of the facility.

Other than that, we have to drive a bit. This being my second season ill hit the local matches monthly along with USPSA, and my first major is already planned for. I do wish there was were closer majors to our area.

Isn't there a large range in Fayette, MO that holds several major matches? Minnesota 3-Gun group seems to be doing a good job of growing the sport.

As a defacto spokesman for the MN3GG, thanks you. Running the Nordic shotgun match is alot of work. I almost cant imagine running a 3 gun match on the level of any I attend such as the Midwest 3 Gun in Fayette, which is an 8 hour drive from the Twin Cities. Not too far for a major match however.

Jay

zombies in the heartland is pretty sweet. Grand island NE... But thats probably 7-10 hours from anywhere MN.

Yeah I've looked at that in the past since it's only 7 hours away, the closest major for me is CMMG and is 10 hours. Then I get to the zombies, costume contest and random prize table. Would way rather have just a regular match.

The Nordic shotgun match during mid summer is always pleasant.

Awesome match.....and even more awesome, cause I don't 500 miles to get there :D

Minnesota 3-Gun group seems to be doing a good job of growing the sport.

Agreed. I've only been shooting 3-gun for a couple years, but in that time the local matches have steadily grown both in the number of competitors and in the depth of the talent.

Edited by Shooter115

I think Brownell's had a decent range about an hour east of Des Moines too. I'd love to see something get started up.

I've never been to the Brownells range. Do they have the capacity to host a major? IA would actually be great central location for an upper midwest match.

They did a Wounded Warrior fund-raiser at the Brownell's range last summer. I didn't go but a couple guys I work with were able to participate. I found the range on google maps, probably not condusive to a major. Mostly bowling lane shooting, one long berm (500-600 yards or so), one 100 yard berm, two 50 yard berms, and some trap ranges.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/place/Montezuma,+IA/@41.5757579,-92.6772005,590m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x87ef60a2b526f053:0xc5ccf3408ec450f4?hl=en

I think the Green Valley Rifle & Pistol Club in Hallsville, MO is probably the best facility for a major in the upper midwest. Same place as the Bianchi Cup (I went last year to spectate). Edit: I just read through their range rules and it looks like they only have a 200-yard range that may be relatively limited. I'm not as familiar with the rifle ranges there, but they do have a number of bays for handguns.

Edited by IronicTwitch

• 2 weeks later...

A major 3 gun anywhere in the UPPER Midwest would be awesome but I think finding the right facility will be the hard part, I think there would be plenty of participants if there ever was one . The Nordic match is the next best thing to a major though, and it's always fun to shoot that many shotgun shells in a weekend!