Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Watch your brass...

Rick88

Was seperating 45 brass today and found some with the small primer pocket, that makes for a very aggervating loading session. Check them before you put it in your bag and then throw them in the trash so no one else picks them up..

One of my shooting buddies uses only SP brass during matches, don't think he would take kindly to me just throwing his brass in the trash.

Just a good excuse to check your brass before reloading. Even easier if you mark your brass and pick up nothing but your own....

Other guys say to save it and use it at matches where you can't pick up brass, leave it for the greedy beggars who run matches that way....

Your right, I posted this before doing a search I had no idea it was that big of a problem, I only found 6 out of about 4000 pcs they must just now be making it to my area. I dont know anyone who uses them so they will continue to go in the trash.

I guess I should add the brass I seperated has been in a 5 gallion bucket for a couple years never needed it until now.

Edited by Rick88

This is one reason I de-prime all of my .45 ACP brass before tumbling. After tumbling I sort it by primer size and it's easier for me to do that when the primer pocket is empty. I just set the SPP stuff aside and when I buy more brass from my usual brass guy I tell him how many SPP cases I have on hand and he brings me that many more pieces of brass and we swap 1:1. I is a PITA when you're priming brass and come across a SPP piece.

If using small primers for small 45acp brass, how will it affect my loads, power factor wise, compared to the large hole/large primer???

I wondered the same thing last year so I loaded up 10 small primer cases and 10 large primer cases and chronoed them. The small primer cases had an average of about 10 fps faster. Since there was only a 10 fps difference I wouldn't be surprised if I did the test again and the large primer cases were faster.

I've tried it and there was no difference that couldn't have fallen within the normal variation.

The true reason behind sp 45 is that it was specifically made so 45 roaders didn't feel left out in sorting brass.

Just look at it this way, now you can argue about which is a bigger PITA? Sorting crimped primer 40 or 9, or culling sp 45.

After sorting by caliber, I tumble, then I inspect & measure each case, and separate by headstamp. Then, I run the cases I'm going to use through a push-through die to make sure they are perfectly straight(if you do a search, there were several threads on how brass that wasn't straight didn't stack as well in the magazine). I then re-tumble them, and then load them.

Maybe I'm a little anal, but, I need my guns to run 100%, and that starts with good ammo.

There is a large benefit to only having to stock one size of primer. (this assumes, of course, that most or all of the calibers you load use small primers)

I run SP 45 for this very reason I never have to change the priming mechanism every caliber I load uses SPP or SRP. It is hard to find people to trade for LPP ones since there are people out there that throw away the SPP cases. :angry2:

If using small primers for small 45acp brass, how will it affect my loads, power factor wise, compared to the large hole/large primer???

I wondered the same thing last year so I loaded up 10 small primer cases and 10 large primer cases and chronoed them. The small primer cases had an average of about 10 fps faster. Since there was only a 10 fps difference I wouldn't be surprised if I did the test again and the large primer cases were faster.

My experience has been the opposite (lower velocity and larger ES) with SP .45acp. But I suspect it depends on more than just LP/SP...but on which brands of each you're comparing, how much your powder charge fills the case, size of the flash holes, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I would love you 45ACP small primer. It's much quicker to swap the 650 from 9mm to 45 if don't have to swap over to large primer.

If I am already running large primer it's then time to load 45ACP with large primer. Small primers are just fine for me. Plus at this time I have 10K small primers and all of the local shops are our of large pistil primers at the time.

After sorting by caliber, I tumble, then I inspect & measure each case, and separate by headstamp. Then, I run the cases I'm going to use through a push-through die to make sure they are perfectly straight(if you do a search, there were several threads on how brass that wasn't straight didn't stack as well in the magazine). I then re-tumble them, and then load them.

Maybe I'm a little anal, but, I need my guns to run 100%, and that starts with good ammo.

I pick up my brass at the range and throw it in the tumbler. Then I load it. Then I tumble to remove lube. Then I shoot it. 20 k a year and reliable.

But we do as we must

• 1 month later...

Blazer Brass is all small primer (as is some newer Federal) and Blazer seems to be the range ammo of choice around here.

The last 1000 cases I sorted were about 600 Large to 400 Small so it's no longer economically feasible to throw away the small primer brass.

Just one more attribute added to the case inspection and sorting process.

• 5 weeks later...