Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Angled IPSC targets?

ardo

I don't know if this is done in USPSA (I'm in Canada), but lately I've seen a lot of matches where classic IPSC targets are positioned at an angle: instead of being vertical, the targets are turned either right or left, sometimes almost horizontally.

I shoot these the same way as I do vertical ones, keeping my upper body vertical. Would it make more sense to lean left or right - like shooting around a barricade - to align my body with the target? The reason I ask: when I transition from a vertical to a slanted target, I often get poor hits, like far C's or D's.

We had one this weekend that was angled 30 degrees to the right and had hard cover so that you could only score on a stripe up the middle as wide as the A zone. It was 20 yds away. Half the squad had at least 1 miss on this one.

I don't know if this is done in USPSA (I'm in Canada), but lately I've seen a lot of matches where classic IPSC targets are positioned at an angle: instead of being vertical, the targets are turned either right or left, sometimes almost horizontally.

In the USPSA rule book this near horizontal angle is not allowed for Classic targets as below:

2.1.8.4 Scoring static Classic paper targets must not be presented at an angle greater than approximately 45 degrees from the vertical. No-shoot static Classic paper targets may be presented at any angle

Is the rule different in IPSC?

Eric

Aim small, Hit small.

Go for the letter A in the center.

When you shoot vertical how are your shots pulling?

If you are a righty and they hitting left then trigger control needs to be worked on.

Usually I stay vertical and just adjust my speed for the "smaller" target.

Aim small, Hit small.

Go for the letter A in the center.

When you shoot vertical how are your shots pulling?

If you are a righty and they hitting left then trigger control needs to be worked on.

Usually I stay vertical and just adjust my speed for the "smaller" target.

Good suggestion, thanks. I do tend to pull left when going at speed.

Had a similar problem in yesterday's match on a couple of partial IPSC targets from left side of a barricade. Turned my body - and had a mike on one of them. :(

Ardo I think you might be using too much trigger finger if you are pulling them left.

Try going back to basics and focus of grip and that finger and see is you can get that cleared up.

"Correct" dry firing is your friend.

Another suggestion, Go do a live fire practice session and have two targets set up.

Put one off color paster right in the center of the targets. Black or white works.

Draw two transition two at speed, but try hard to hit those pasters.

If you see a drift in the second shot your trigger finger might be the culprit and not your body positioning.

Hope this helps.