Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who can explain me recently because I find gunpowder.

ejtineo

1.5 yrs? Since the current president got into office in 2008, I find this estimate to be a tad on the low side. Or did the " or so" take that into consideration? :goof:

it has only gotten really bad in the last 1.5 years. I had no problems getting powder even during the last shortage...just primers...

@OP - keep checking, find some decent online sources, as well as gunbot.net , and be ready to buy as soon as you see what you need.

Local gun shops are worth calling as well.

Clint - I'm going to assume you're loading ball powder and a 55-62gr projectile..in an AR or other .223/5.56 autoloader/semi?

Most ball powder recipes call for 'magnum' primers, which in some cases, may or may not be stronger but will have a thicker cup.

Short version is I consider any of the below GTG for AR/.223/5.56 semis:

CCI #450 or #41

Rem 7 1/2

Tula small rifle magnum(KVB-223M), or small rifle magnum 5.56(KVB556M)

Federal 205 or 205M, AR Match

Undecided, but would probably use in a pinch: WSR

@OP - keep checking, find some decent online sources, as well as gunbot.net , and be ready to buy as soon as you see what you need.

Clint - I'm going to assume you're loading ball powder and a 55-62gr projectile..in an AR or other .223/5.56 autoloader/semi?

Most ball powder recipes call for 'magnum' primers, which in some cases, may or may not be stronger but will have a thicker cup.

CCI #450 or #41

Rem 7 1/2

Thank you. Good info to have. I did mean to put that it is going to be loaded for an ar. Currently I have blc (2) and cfe 223 powders

CCI #450 or #41

Rem 7 1/2

Thank you. Good info to have. I did mean to put that it is going to be loaded for an ar. Currently I have blc (2) and cfe 223 powders

Both ball powders, measure fine, and fine for .223. You might want to take the .223/5.56 questions to the rifle section, though. :goof:

Edited by rtp

CCI #450 or #41

Rem 7 1/2

Both ball powders, measure fine, and fine for .223. You might want to take the .223/5.56 questions to the rifle section, though. :goof:

Sorry. My bad. Didn't mean to hijack this thread

CCI #450 or #41

Rem 7 1/2

Not sure by what you mean that most ball recipes call for magnum primers. Remington 71/2 are just thicker cup small rifle. # 41 are also thicker cup small rifle.federal 205 are just plain small rifle. 205 match are thicker cup small rifle. None of these are, as far as I know, magnum primers. The Speer manual uses magnum rifle primers for their ball powder recipes.. The others show small rifle primers for their loads.

CCI #450 or #41

Rem 7 1/2

Not sure by what you mean that most ball recipes call for magnum primers. Remington 71/2 are just thicker cup small rifle. # 41 are also thicker cup small rifle.federal 205 are just plain small rifle. 205 match are thicker cup small rifle. None of these are, as far as I know, magnum primers. The Speer manual uses magnum rifle primers for their ball powder recipes.. The others show small rifle primers for their loads.

You're correct in that all those I listed above are not all 'true magnum' primers.

That doesn't change all of them remain on my 'good to go for !R/.223 autoloaders' list.

Some are called 'magnum' (one of the Tulas) but are not true magnum primers in charge, while the cup is thicker. I believe I've seen where the Rem. 7 1/2s were actually labeled as Magnums some time ago.

I wouldn't interchange true magnum (by charge) primers with non-magnum/only thicker cup primers on a hot load w/out working back up and chrono-ing, but I would use any of the above for AR and similar usage.

If you wouldn't, please explain your reasoning as to why?

It is obvious that English isn't everyone's primary language in this thread. To those folk, please don't be discouraged.

Agreed. To the OP, powder is just in very short supply right now. Nobody can get it, so it's not just you. Like Grumpy said, it's been this way for a year and a half and who knows when it will get better. Probably be awhile since every time powder shows up it is sold out in a few minutes. Heck I have 30-40 lbs of powder and when I can get more in bulk I will.

Was at a Gun show today in southeast Ohio and a dealer there had a lot of different powders. He had Alliant bullseye, Unique,2400 and different rifle powders ranging in price from $18 a pound to $19. He had Titegroup and Clays for $18.50 a pound. And a ton of other Hogdon rifle powders. I didn't think it was to bad a deal and restocked on several powders. =) I was running really low on Bullseye for 38spl loads.

Was at a Gun show today in southeast Ohio and a dealer there had a lot of different powders. He had Alliant bullseye, Unique,2400 and different rifle powders ranging in price from $18 a pound to $19. He had Titegroup and Clays for $18.50 a pound. And a ton of other Hogdon rifle powders. I didn't think it was to bad a deal and restocked on several powders. =) I was running really low on Bullseye for 38spl loads.

This is what I'm hoping for when our next gun show comes to town. I have 2 chances to nab me some powder this month at one of them! Fingers crossed.