Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Changes

sperman

One of my clubs was asking about the new rules for revolver, and I wanted to confirm the date of the change. I believe it is 2/1/2014, but looking through the BOD minutes I don't see anything that lists the specific date. Is it published somewhere on the USPSA web site?

Also, is the new wording for Appendix D6 available anywhere? Right now the only thing I can point them to is some threads here on the Enos forums.

One of my clubs was asking about the new rules for revolver, and I wanted to confirm the date of the change. I believe it is 2/1/2014, but looking through the BOD minutes I don't see anything that lists the specific date. Is it published somewhere on the USPSA web site?

Also, is the new wording for Appendix D6 available anywhere? Right now the only thing I can point them to is some threads here on the Enos forums.

2/1/14 for 8 shot minor

Scott,

Take a look at the 9 Oct 2013 phone in meeting minutes on the USPSA web site. That's where the 8-shot revolver rule change was approved. Additionally there was a motion to approve the ammended rule book effective 1 Feb 2014 was also documented in those minutes. That's the closest thing I can find that says the 8-shot rule goes into effect on 1 Feb 2014.

Thanks to Scott as NC SC for always doing his best to keep up on stuff, the clubs in NC Section appreciate your work.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so I am clear on this. The rule change is going to allow 8 shot minor revolver, but major remains at 6 shots. Regardless, they all score under a single Revolver division just as they do now.

Correct?

Correct. The rule became effective 1 Feb 2014.

So then, a red dot sight equipped 8 shot revolver automatically puts you in the regular bottom feeder "open" class even if your shooting 8 shot minor???..that is, no separation in revolver for regular sights or red dots?..my vision pretty much dictates a red dot...

• 2 months later...

Dumb question, but I have been unable to get on the USPSA website. In the new 8 shot Minor Division can one shoot a six shot speedloader revo with a Minor 125 PF, or does it have to be a 8 shot revo? How about a 7 shot or a 9 shot 125 Minor gun? I really need this info... bless you if you can provide it!

Dumb question, but I have been unable to get on the USPSA website. In the new 8 shot Minor Division can one shoot a six shot speedloader revo with a Minor 125 PF, or does it have to be a 8 shot revo? How about a 7 shot or a 9 shot 125 Minor gun? I really need this info... bless you if you can provide it!

You can shoot 6 or 7 shot minor but not 9 shot. Fresh from my new maroon-ish colored cover Feb 2014 rule book : a maximum of 6 rounds fired before reload if Major PF declared, 8 if minor PF declared. So you don't have to shoot 8 in Minor, just no more than 8.

Edited to add: Just to be clear, it is Revolver Division allowing 8 shot minor along with 6 shot Major. Not a separate Minor Division.

Edited by bdpaz

The way the rule is stated, if declaring minor, one could use any capacity of revolver as long as the maximum number of shots between reloads is 8. Six, seven and eight shot revos all inherently qualify. 9 or 10 shot revolvers, if marketed, could be used, but could not be shot empty. Failure to reload after 8 would be a bump to open.

If declaring major, one can use any capacity of revolver as long as the maximum number of shots between reloads is 6. Failure to reload after 6 is a bump to open.

The way the rule is stated, if declaring minor, one could use any capacity of revolver as long as the maximum number of shots between reloads is 8. Six, seven and eight shot revos all inherently qualify. 9 or 10 shot revolvers, if marketed, could be used, but could not be shot empty. Failure to reload after 8 would be a bump to open.

If declaring major, one can use any capacity of revolver as long as the maximum number of shots between reloads is 6. Failure to reload after 6 is a bump to open.

Wouldn't it be correct that using a *fully loaded* speedloader or moonclip of a capacity greater than Division requirements puts you in Open? It shouldn't matter if they only fire 6 in Major or 8 in Minor.

If I put a 17-rd mag loaded to 10 in my Production gun, I'm fine. If I put one loaded with 11 in it (after L&MR), I'm in Open, regardless of whether I shoot all 11 shots.

^^^ Yep. This.

You'll find the rules regarding capacity stated slightly differently between Revo and auto divisions, so applying Auto division logic to Revo division won't work.

Edited by afoulk

• 1 month later...

I am late to this discussion but I am not a happy camper. I shoot Revo on rare occasions so in that respect I don't have a pony in this horde race. I spent good money on a 625 and then have it worked on to make it a competitive gun. Rev was 6 rounds. EVERYONE had to do a standing reload somewhere. Now we have 8-shot REvo, OK it is minor, so what. If it takes 2 seconds to reload at each array and there are 4 arrays, I find myself to be 8 seconds behind. So lets look at a 32 round COF. If I shoot 8-shot I reload 3x, but if I shoot a 6-shot I reload 4x. Assuming I shoot the course with all A hits in 32 seconds my HF is 5.0, A minor shooter shooting the same all A hits has potentially zero lost time for reloads if he reloads between arrays assuming all else is equal his time is 8 seconds faster just by shooting a 8-shot rev and his HF is 6.666. Now if he shoots really fast and gets some C hits, he can match my HF in 28 seconds and drop 20 points!

As I said, I am too late with too little, but 8 shot Revo should only have happened if it was Open-Revo, ie ports and dots and minor scoring. USPSA has obsoleted every 6 shot revo made.

Thank you and Good Night,

I am late to this discussion but I am not a happy camper. I shoot Revo on rare occasions so in that respect I don't have a pony in this horde race. I spent good money on a 625 and then have it worked on to make it a competitive gun. Rev was 6 rounds. EVERYONE had to do a standing reload somewhere. Now we have 8-shot REvo, OK it is minor, so what. If it takes 2 seconds to reload at each array and there are 4 arrays, I find myself to be 8 seconds behind. So lets look at a 32 round COF. If I shoot 8-shot I reload 3x, but if I shoot a 6-shot I reload 4x. Assuming I shoot the course with all A hits in 32 seconds my HF is 5.0, A minor shooter shooting the same all A hits has potentially zero lost time for reloads if he reloads between arrays assuming all else is equal his time is 8 seconds faster just by shooting a 8-shot rev and his HF is 6.666. Now if he shoots really fast and gets some C hits, he can match my HF in 28 seconds and drop 20 points!

As I said, I am too late with too little, but 8 shot Revo should only have happened if it was Open-Revo, ie ports and dots and minor scoring. USPSA has obsoleted every 6 shot revo made.

Thank you and Good Night,

Jim, actually with 6 in the gun and 4 reloads (24 more rounds) you'll take 2 misses.....

You need five reloads for that stage.... :P

Yup so the disparity is even greater! In other words a few hundred thousand dollars worth of USPSA shooters guns are now paperweights!

Don''t feel too bad. Just think what it did to my favorite 6 inch K frame with speedloaders :surprise:

At least I have a local club that shoots 4 or 5 ICORE matches each year :)

Yep.

They destroyed Revolver division in order to save it.

Good stage design will close the gap, but I believe the 6 round revo is finished.

I wouldn't go that far, but it certainly will change the division, only time will tell. Oh well, I've been meaning to get an 8 shot'er anyway :)

Edited by kmca

Which is why I sold my 625 at a loss and moved to production division. One of these days I'll get a 929 as I think they are very cool guns and would be a lot of fun in Open Revolver for steel challenge.

Yeah... We had a division where 90+% of the shooters were using the same gun. You can't ask for more even and fair than that.

But we gave in to the vocal minority.