Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rockcastle Local 3-Gun, Feb 23rd

I came down last year and really enjoyed it for a weekend getaway. If the three gun was on Saturday and USPSA on Sunday for those of us that travel it would probably get us on the road earlier because the pistol matches are a little more predictable and since i am there for the night we can shoot as later. That is just a travelers perspective. Thanks for a great weekend!

I support Tohm's extra insight.

By the way Tohm, How about the IMGA events at North Porter this coming year!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the feedback. I think the Sat/Sun weekends are easiest on the staff of Rockcastle and both Vaught and myself. Set-up becomes more of a problem if we pick a different weekend.

As far as swapping days w/ the pistol match- the match directors for pistol were the first ones to volunteer to run a regular, local match at Rock and they picked Saturday for the match so they have a little seniority. We'll be happy to work around their schedule. Plus, I think it's a little easier setting up 3 gun stages, since we don't have to be concerned about quite so many rules.

I might try and make the 3gun match hard to do Saturdays with my work and I live in North Alabama, so Sunday matches are my personal preference...might even catch a ride with Dave when he come through my neck of the woods :)

I might try and make the 3gun match hard to do Saturdays with my work and I live in North Alabama, so Sunday matches are my personal preference...might even catch a ride with Dave when he come through my neck of the woods :)

I'll go up Friday and spend Friday and Sat night and shoot both matches. You're welcome to come along.

we talked about different options for this year w/ the local matches. Is the concensus that most everyone prefers the Sat-pistol/Sun- 3 Gun format over a 3 gun on a different Saturday in the month?

My opinion doesn't matter but it seems to me that this would make the most sense from a logistics standpoint no matter how you cut it. If you lived far enough away to have to get a hotel and were going to do both, it makes for a pretty long weekend for only local club matches, but worse than that would be having to double up on travel and wipe out the majority of two weekends. Very local guys might like to stretch it out, but then again you're still jacking with the schedule of the staff like you already mentioned, possibly putting a strain on them. Having both at the same time may attract better shooters who wouldn't bother coming to one or the other as well.

I'm probably just going to stick with 3-gun only for now, it's hard enough getting away for one day, paying for one night for a hotel, and buying ammo for one match. I miss enough with my pistol to be the equivalent of shooting a second pistol-only match anyway. ;)

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Did you have to register online for this match? I know on the flyer it says sign ups at 8am, but on another forum they were saying it was full already with.

It's a club level match. Just show up at the lodge 0800 and sign up! There is no online registration for this event that I'm aware of. But come on, it's sure to be fun!

I have a room reserved at the lodge, and am looking forward to my first match at the 'rock'... Will be trying out the M1 that just got a little tuning from Rose Action Sports... (thanks Steve!!)... Bruce, Christine, Dave, and company, look forward to hanging at the lodge sat night! good friends and good bourbon.. what else could a guy want?

Trey

• 3 weeks later...

Cancel? Well, we shot the last pistol match at the Rock after it had snowed 5" the night before/morning of last month. Only real inconvenience was the overturned tractor trailer at the end of the on ramp to 65S.

Bad weather might impact the number of paper targets we use, but would have to be pretty bad to cancel.

Btw, we plan on having a SG stage with about 24 rds. If you need extra caddies I will bring a couple 6 rounders to share.