Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silhouette and Autocomp for 9mm minor?

rtp

With a reasonable stack of primers and projectiles, and powder availability being what it's been, my list of 'buy it if I find any' powders has expanded a bit, like probably many of us.

I don't shoot Major, mainly shoot in outlaw/local competitions currently.

I've been loading 4.9gr of WSF, 124gr MG JHP, 1.065" OAL, ~1100FPS, and have been happy with that load, but haven't seen WSF come into stock anywhere in a year or so now..

I jumped on some Silhouette and AutoComp, the Silhouette due to recalling a few people saying it's similar to WSF, although I'm seeing both Sil. and AC are right next to each other in Hodgdon's burn chart, and slower than WSF now..

Any advice out there on loading either of these for minor with MGs? I'd like to stick to ~130PF or slightly higher as I do plan to expand my competitions in the future, so not looking for powder puff loads (and expect either powder wouldn't be all that well suited to them, either).

Will work up and chrono either way, but sometimes there seems to be a highly recommended load within published load charges that stands out for accuracy, etc..

I loaded some minor rounds with WAC just to see if I could get by without buying another powder. It was OK but nothing like some of the more accepted "good" minor powders. It seemed a little harsh and dirty.

I'm guessing you're not shooting a compensated pistol?

This is correct. Walther PPQ or Glock 19, unported.

The irony isn't lost on me that both powders are likely great candidates for Open/Major, but - gotta use what you can get lately.

I loaded some minor rounds with WAC just to see if I could get by without buying another powder. It was OK but nothing like some of the more accepted "good" minor powders. It seemed a little harsh and dirty.

Thanks - I've only got 1# of AC coming, was more a 'it's here, get the most I can from Hazmat + shipping,' vs 12# of Silhouette.

I guess I'll see what there is to see on both the WAC and Silhouette, and possibly be on the lookout for a local trade of 8# of the Silhouette as it's in 4# jugs, if I'm unhappy w/it.

Thanks - I've only got 1# of AC coming, was more a 'it's here, get the most I can from Hazmat + shipping,' vs 12# of Silhouette.

I guess I'll see what there is to see on both the WAC and Silhouette, and possibly be on the lookout for a local trade of 8# of the Silhouette as it's in 4# jugs, if I'm unhappy w/it.

Trade it all to an Open shooter for some Clays, WST, Titegroup, etc.

Anyone happen to have a Hornady manual covering 124gr XTPs w/WAC? (as the closest to a 124gr MG JHP..)

Looking at my annuals and mfgr online data, Lymans, Loadbooks USA 9mm, I'm coming up with a bit of range on load data for WAC mainly...think I'm good to go on the Silhouette.

What I've got at the moment:

Bullet: Powder: Min: Max:

125gr Sierra FMJ WAC 4.7 5.2 - Hornady/Loadbooks

125gr Sierra Sil 4.6 6.1 - Sierra/Loadbooks

124gr Horn XTP Sil 4.6 5.4 - Western #5

125gr HAP WAC 3.6 4.1 - Hodgdon online

125gr Sierra WAC 4.7 5.2 - Hodgdon online

The last two are the most surprising, pretty big gaps from Hodgdon on the same weight projectile..

Silhouette is a pretty good powder in several calibers and one of my favorites. It has low flash, shoots pretty soft at the mid-range on up, and burns cooler than most other powders so it works well even with lead bullets producing little smoke. You will probably find that you will need something north of 135PF to light it up completely, but you will need that anyway to run a gun with stock springs. If you modified the springs and go lighter than that it will still shoot pretty well but leave a few gold flecks in the barrel. At the correct pressures Silhouette is the most consistent powder I have used, normally generating very good ES figures and single digit SD figures.

Silhouette is a pretty good powder in several calibers and one of my favorites. It has low flash, shoots pretty soft at the mid-range on up, and burns cooler than most other powders so it works well even with lead bullets producing little smoke. You will probably find that you will need something north of 135PF to light it up completely, but you will need that anyway to run a gun with stock springs. If you modified the springs and go lighter than that it will still shoot pretty well but leave a few gold flecks in the barrel. At the correct pressures Silhouette is the most consistent powder I have used, normally generating very good ES figures and single digit SD figures.

Thanks for that; the comment on PF vs burn on Silhouette is very helpful. That's about where I've been loading with WSF and I've been pretty happy with it (feel, accuracy, ..).

Stock recoil and firing pin springs - my main goal is to get better with carry/home weapons, not build a race gun. If I ever find myself in the top 5% consistently locally, I may rethink that, but for now, no race parts or non-carry advised parts. Usual polish and minor trigger stuff on the Glock (polished - connector, stronger trigger spring) but nothing else, and nothing except sights needed on the PPQ.

Can anyone shed any light on the conflicting data for the AutoComp?

125gr Sierra WAC 4.7 5.2 - Hodgdon online and Hodgdon annual

Looking at what I have on hand in load data, e.g. similar weight projectiles in .38 special, velocity, etc..I'm thinking the 4.7gr-5.2gr is likely the correct one, but can't figure why such a low range for the HAP, which is more or less an XTP, which is more or less similar data to MG JHPs.. ?

That conflicting data may have to do with the length of the bearing surfaces on the two bullets and the resulting amount of effort and higher pressure generated by one being longer. It could also be the relative hardness of the jacketing adding to it, but I think that is less of a factor.

Are the OAL the same?

HAP 1.069" vs Sierra FMJ 1.090". I did note they claim bullet diameter of .356" for the HAP, vs .355" for the Sierra.

RE: Bearing surfaces - the HAP probably is longer at the same weight being a hollow point type, but that sure is a significant charge difference in my book.

The AC loads aren't urgent, as I've got some WSF left on hand, then the 12# of Silhouette to get through, so will keep poking around, but certainly would like to resolve 'which is the saner load' with such a difference..

Are the OAL the same?

HAP 1.069" vs Sierra FMJ 1.090". I did note they claim bullet diameter of .356" for the HAP, vs .355" for the Sierra.

RE: Bearing surfaces - the HAP probably is longer at the same weight being a hollow point type, but that sure is a significant charge difference in my book.

The AC loads aren't urgent, as I've got some WSF left on hand, then the 12# of Silhouette to get through, so will keep poking around, but certainly would like to resolve 'which is the saner load' with such a difference..

I ended up in the 5.0 range with MG 124 CMJ's at about 1.13. I predict 5.+ to make a good minor cushion load. You probably won't need to load them as short as the book says.

Are the OAL the same?

I ended up in the 5.0 range with MG 124 CMJ's at about 1.13. I predict 5.+ to make a good minor cushion load. You probably won't need to load them as short as the book says.

Thanks Sarge, this is helpful. Will look a bit more, but I think the second line of load data (4.7-5.2) is likely to be 'the right one' in this case, moreso with your load mentioned above.

If nothing else, I can load a very few from 4gr upwards, but I think I'm pretty confident now.

Looking at loads I'm familiar with and what I've loaded them with WSF, versus other AC data, seems their charges are pretty similar, so that 3.x load just doesn't make sense.

Will report back once I load and chrono some - maybe we'll all get lucky and powder availability will improve significantly, but if not, I'm sure someone else will wind up grabbing 'whatever they can' and may need some WAC 9mm minor info..