Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Epic disappointment sums up this match for me. Not because of how it was carried out, but because of how little effort I put into shooting it and how it just barely bit me hard at the end.

I placed 27th in open. That means I won B class, but came in second in c class to Julian Lim by 6 points and 1 position. I was classified C class. Instead of winning a gun for my mediocrity, I won a hundred bucks. Half the entry fee.

I posted some videos of me. I have now decided to beat everyone else in the sport and until I do, I will title every video I post on Youtube as me having a bad day. Because that is what this match has made my entire life until I succeed at this, a bad day. I only entirely botched one stage . . . stage one . . . because I didn't zero the gun and thought my gun was shooting high from whenever the last time I zeroed it was, I then found out it was actually shooting slightly low with the match ammo. Epic fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFyxOrWFkh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwchZQoqH5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNruEQuQfpI

I guess you should have Classified in B class. Instead of taking 2nd C. Congrats.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was referring to stage 1 .....lol. That's right some people could see over the wall ....lol

Gotcha, that would be an advantage. Guess the stage brief should have said the walls go to infinity.

According to USPSA rule book, walls no longer go to infinity.

2.2.3.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, all such barriers, walls, vision barriers and snow fence barriers will be considered to go from the ground to the height as constructed.

I think you can still say in the WSB that walls go to infinity.

As usual, the Florida Open continues to live up to its reputation as being the toughest and most challenging match around. Smitty and the crew of the Universal Shooting Academy did a great job puting this one together.

I thought the scoring system used was pretty cool. Jay Corn walked me through it and explained its features. I think it will be a great benefit when the World Shoot comes around, making it easier for spectators to locate specific shooters and follow the competition.

I did notice a glitch with the system that pertains to my scores. On stage 5, I blew over a fault line and fired 6 shots outside of the shooting area. I was dinged with the appropriate procedurals and I watch the lady enter them in the system. They were recorded when I signed on the handheld unit. The finals, however, only indicate 1 procedural. Not that it made a difference in my finish (I had gun issues, etc), but it could have. But let's say that it could have..... How could that be verfied after the fact? I believe the Va/Md and Ga Sectionals used Practiscore last year. The scores were entered but there was also a paper "receipt" given which could be used to verify/correct errors. I am just trying to learn as much as possible about the available electronic scoring systems. Thanks.

Edited by Jack Suber

I was referring to stage 1 .....lol. That's right some people could see over the wall ....lol

Gotcha, that would be an advantage. Guess the stage brief should have said the walls go to infinity.

Per the USPSA Rules, at a Level 2 or above match, all walls, props or other visual blockers go from the ground to the height constructed. At these level 2 and above matches you can't simply mandate that the props up upward to infinity. At a level 1 club match, you can. But not at a Level 2 or above match.

When I go to a Level 2 or above match and see an opportunity to shoot over a wall or prop that will produce a better result, I will do it because it is an advantage. I don't feel too bad about the rare instances where I can take advantage of this due to my height, because there are far more instances where I get hosed on low ports or low shooting positions.

Per the USPSA Rules, at a Level 2 or above match, all walls, props or other visual blockers go from the ground to the height constructed. At these level 2 and above matches you can't simply mandate that the props up upward to infinity. At a level 1 club match, you can. But not at a Level 2 or above match.

When I go to a Level 2 or above match and see an opportunity to shoot over a wall or prop that will produce a better result, I will do it because it is an advantage. I don't feel too bad about the rare instances where I can take advantage of this due to my height, because there are far more instances where I get hosed on low ports or low shooting positions.

Can you show that to me in the rulebook? The only thing I can find is 2.2.3.3, and I don't see it being different for a L1, than any other level match.

On stage 5, I blew over a fault line and fired 6 shots outside of the shooting area.

Did you get both feet out or just one?

We were specifically instructed that if we wanted to call a procedural as per shot and the shooter had one foot in the shooting area we had to call the RM before we did it.

They may have seen it and corrected the issue.

I placed 27th in open. That means I won B class, but came in second in c class to Julian Lim by 6 points and 1 position. I was classified C class

27th in Limited got me 3rd B and $50 so..............................................................

ktm300 - It was the last stage for me and I was really trying to push hard by getting to the last postion where the swinger was. I was running so hard that I could not stop. I had both feet out for two shots and then only one for 4 shots. The fault gave me a clear advantage (it was the last position on stage 5 and I was shooting the far right targets. The procedurals for each shot was appropriate. The lady pointed out the number of procedurals on the handheld before i signed it, so they were there. Is it possible that I messed something up when I signed it?

Edited by Jack Suber

check out rules 1.1.5 and 1.1.5.1

Then 2.2.3 titled barriers lets you specify how to regard them

2.2.3.2 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, all such barriers, walls, vision barriers and snow fence barriers will be considered to go from the ground to the height as constructed.

To me that says you can specify that they are not as built.

I guess I am wrong about the Level 1 vs Level 2 and above in association with rule 2.2.3.3. But the requirements of defining barrier restrictions in rule 2.2.3.3 are clear. For the stage in question, there was no verbiage in the WSB that stated barriers went from ground to infinity.

The reason why I mentioned rules 1.1.5 and 1.1.5.1 is for them defining what Freestyle shooting is. Rule 1.1.5 basically states that I am free to formulate my own solution for shooting the stage and if I can "see" the targets I can legally shoot them. Even if that means shooting over a wall or prop when the WSB does not define a restriction of shooting over these props.

Being 6'4" some times gives me a unique vantage point on some stages which shorter shooters may not be able to exploit. The way I see it, these scenarios are what I would consider a stage design failure because it does not provide the same shooting challenge for everyone. At local matches, during setup or before the match starts, I will point out these stage design issues to the match staff so it can be fixed before the match starts. I want the matches to be fare for everyone and I want to compete against everyone fairly. But for most major matches I attend I am rarely able to assess the stages before anyone officially shoots them, so there is no way to "Fix" these stage failures mid match. In these scenarios, if I find a gaping hole in a stage design that is an advantage, I will exploit it because there will be other tall shooters who also have the same opportunity. Gamers gotta game right?

ktm300 - It was the last stage for me and I was really trying to push hard by getting to the last postion where the swinger was. I was running so hard that I could not stop. I had both feet out for two shots and then only one for 4 shots. The fault gave me a clear advantage (it was the last position on stage 5 and I was shooting the far right targets. The procedurals for each shot was appropriate. The lady pointed out the number of procedurals on the handheld before i signed it, so they were there. Is it possible that I messed something up when I signed it?

My wife and I ran stage 5 with another RO. We only had two people shoot out of bounds at the last position. I was running one of those and determined if was not a clear advantage and assessed one procedural. The other RO ran the other which must gave been you if you wheeled around to shoot the right hand targets. I recall some discussion but I don't recall the final call on yours. In any event, I don't think you messed anything up when signing though the ROs have the ability to make corrections.