Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your first IDPA match gun

JerryShoots

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First match in 2006, shot CDP with a Kimber Gold Match.

That same year shot SSP with a Beretta 92FS.

A year later I bought a Springfield Loaded 1911 in 9mm for ESP.

These days:

SSP - S&W M&P Pro

The other 2 remain the same

I started IDPA with a Kimber Custom II 1911 in January of 2014. Three or four weeks later I changed to a G35 and a G23. The G23 will be my main for IDPA and the G35 I'm gonna use in USPSA, hopefully will start soon.

Glock 19, Fobus holster and mag pouch

Sounds exactly what I will have.

I have yet to shoot my first match, safety class is on the calendar for May 4th. I'll have:

-G19 with a Blackhawk CQB holster and Fobus mag pouch

-Walther PPQ with Comptac International Holster and mag pouch

-M&P 9 with Bladetech holster and mag pouch (range/carry kit package)

-XDs 9 3.3" with XD gear holster and mag pouch

I've got the most rounds through the PPQ and will shoot that one first match or two. M&P is new, waiting on new sights and APEX trigger. G19 is my home defense gun and I just don't have enough rounds through my XDs yet to be fully broken in. At some point, I'd like to shoot every one of those at a match, just for the experience of what works for me and what does not.

I shot my first Idpa match with a s&w sigma in 9mm. I sold that soon after and got an m&p pro when they came out. I shoot ssp and esp with that. I just take the SSS mag well on and off. As for cdp I have a sig 220 combat that I use. I plan to get an m&p 45. I shoot esr with a 625.

My first club level match was 2007. Used a G17 in SSP. Used it for a couple years and then spent a couple of years in CDP with a Rock Island Match. Classified this year in SSP and CDP. Have tried SSR with the old S&W model 10 one club match too.

Fnp 9 and couldnt hit the broad side of a barn back in 08. Shot a few matches here and there till oct.2012 and finally stepped upto a 34. Been shooting it in esp ever since then. Looking to step up to a trojan 5.0 9mm. Hopefully find a nice set up in the classifieds.

Started with a full-size 4.25" M&P 9mm ran it for over a year in SSP. The got a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm for esp but then picked up a Springer 1911 loaded target 9mm and run that. I may switch next season to a STI EAGLE 9mms and shoot esp and uspsa limited minor.

Don't really remember when I started but when I did I was using a Xd .40service model in ESP. I have run my STI Trojan .40 in ESP and XDM 4.5 .40, but now I run the XDM 5.25 .40.

I started off with a Beretta Cougar 8040.

When I started using the thumbs forward grip, I noticed that it didn't work well with this gun. The slide was too wide for me to get a lot of meat on the grip, and I kept riding the slide stop.

I sold it to a friend, and now I shoot an M&P Pro 9mm.

I will shoot my first IDPA match sometime in the next few weeks. :)

Will use a M&P 9 full size (trigger parts from a M&P Pro) and Bladetech holster. I need to buy a magazine pouch and a 3rd mag.

• 1 month later...

First match about 4 years ago was an M&P 9 in SSP. I quickly went to a 9mm RIA TAC in ESP and still shoot it the most.

For SSR - 686 SSR

For ESR - 625PC

For CDP - Custom Colt 1911 from the 80's

For SSP (currently) - M&P Pro 9

I still have to shoot a classifier with the 686SSR sometime to classified in every division.

• 4 weeks later...

Started in 98 shooting a Colt Gold Cup in CDP, a Hi-Power in ESP and a Ruger Speed Six in SSR. Eventually picked up a used Glock 22 to shoot SSP. Bought a 625 to shoot SSR, sold it in 02 when the rule changed disallowing 5" revolvers, replaced it with a 610 and then a 646. Eventually bought a 686 to shoot SSR after that rule change and another 625 for ESR.

9 or so years ago.

1st match CDP 1911 - factory ball ammo - last place of 32

2nd match ESP PT99 - 9mm factory ball - 9th place of 32

eventually Sig 226 - and made EX SSP

eventually again Glock 17 SSP - no more factory ammo!

Currently Glock 35 or Glock 34 and usually SSP - loaded minor

Glocks, once I adjusted to the terrible ergonomics, were a good choice for price and performance.

I use the G35 in USPSA limited too.

Well my first match was a classifier and I shot MM in CDP with a Sig C3. Shot. My second match Sunday and got MM in ESP with an STI Tactical 4.0 in 9mm.

I've realized my mental problems in my "game" and have two matches coming up this month. Hoping to get some more trigger time in and hit SS in ESP.

-BTO-

Started in 2002 in CDP, first match with a Colt Officers Model, then switched to a Kimber 5" 1911.

After a year switched to ESP with a custom .40 1911. Since I have shot a variety of guns and divisions.

SSP - Glock 34 and 35

ESR - S&W 625

And now I mainly shoot SSR with a S&W 67

My first match I used a Sig P226 in SSP. Now I use a G34 in SSP as well.

Too funny - same for me. I got a 226 from CDNN in 2006 and shot for a couple of months until I saw what a G34 could do. Then M&P. I'm a lefty and the controls were superior. Then to SSR with a GP 100 and then on to too many Smiths to count.