Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Novsake 16" barrel with rifle length gas system?

kimberacp

I am owner of dpms Tac2. 16" barrel with rifle Gas system. Actualy 1000rnds without single problem.

I ran a DPMS 16" 1-9 twist rifle gas barrel in 3gun for three years. Shot it out. Bought another one. Ran it until it shot out.

Used different comps, all kinds of ammo. Using good ammo, because it was short and stiff, it held 1moa out to 300. I think if it had a 1-8 twist it might have been better. Don't know. Accurate enough for 3gun in my opinion.

Recommended one to a friend. Same deal.

I switched to a 18" and really don't know why. I think it was because DPMS said it would be awhile before they would have another production run of them so I got a DPMS Mk 12 that was in stock.

I believe Bruce Piatt ran a 16" He seemed to do okay with his.

From a reliability standpoint.....18" with a rifle gas system will pretty much run any bullet weight out there and still function at velocities that you'd run for 3 gun.

16" will as well......but as you get into the lighter/faster bullets.....you MAY see that reliability go away. If you use heavy bullets, (68 and heavier) at around 2700 FPS, you MAY never see an issue.

55 grain bullets above 3000 fps....MAY cause you some reliability issues.......at 2900 FPS, chance are...it'll be good to go.

35 grain bullets at over 3300 fps....probably won't work out of a 16" with a rifle gas system......the bullet will most likely leave the end of the barrel before the bolt opens.....BUT....then again....it MAY work.

Basically.....the closer the gas hole is to the muzzle.....faster/lighter bullets become a question mark as to reliability.

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

I have both a noveske 16" intermediate as well as a 17" rifle barrel. They are both great. I am going to use the 17" next season for a game gun. Coincidentally I just talked to Wes the other day at MSTN and he just got a batch of the 16" intermediate barrels in. Give him a call if you want one.

I'd like to add that the 16" may be the most accurate barrel that I have ever owned.

Pic of that gun

image_zps6c877d30.jpg

one of my build that I'm toying with is a 16 inch with a rifle length gas system. I haven't finshed it yet but wanted to know what size gas port is on your barrels so i can have a good starting point is it is not cycling right. not sure if I should just get an adjustable gas block.

one of my build that I'm toying with is a 16 inch with a rifle length gas system. I haven't finshed it yet but wanted to know what size gas port is on your barrels so i can have a good starting point is it is not cycling right. not sure if I should just get an adjustable gas block.

An adjustable gas block is not going to help if the hole in the barrel is to small to cycle your gun.

The block is meant to turn down the gas when the hole is bigger than necessary. The adj. block can then close off the hole reducing the amount of gas to operate the gun.

I had two DPMS 16" rifle length barrels. Both had .100 size gas holes. They were both over gassed. Fixed them with adj. gas blocks by turning the gas down.

Good luck with your build. You will learn a lot by the time you are done with it.

I ran a 16" rifle length gas for several years when I was with DPMS & never had any problems shooting 55 gr. Blitz Kings at 3150. It would shoot under 2" at 300 yds. Still have 2 of them & both are great shooters. Only problem I ever ran into, is when I put a titanium carrier in it. Then it started to not cycle properly, changed back to a standard carrier & problem solved.

Shooting a JP 18" now with rifle length gas. It always works no matter what carrier is in it. Currently running a Rubber City Armory low mass carrier.