Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Open gun value?

wwboater

One of my shooting buddies is selling his SVI. What do you guys think this pistol is worth? It comes with 2 SVI mags that hold 20 ea. The pistol is in 38 SC. The round count is unknown. I have shot this pistol and it runs great with no issues. I was really looking for a Limited SVI but I may have to buy this one if the price is right...

Thanks for your feed back..

DSC_0042_zpseb0a042f.jpg

Edited by wwboater

Not sure of how many owners but the guns looks pretty new. No dents or dings. SVI said it left the factory as a complete gun. So I am assuming it left as a complete open pistol... From the owner - SVI Infinity built open gun. Has a brand new SVI Infinty 3 port comp tri sided to match the tri-sided slide. C-more serendipity red dot. A Brazos tuned trigger group pro series, breaks at 2.5 pounds. Just added a brand new aftec extractor. Gun may have 10,000 down the barrel.

Edited by wwboater

From the photo, it doesn't appear to have a hybrid barrel which seems odd to me. I'm not sure I've ever seen one of their open guns without a hybrid barrel.

never seen a factory SV with an STI grip either. :roflol:

I have seen that, because I actually had to put an STI grip on an older polymer gripped Infinity 9mm I had.

Edited by SV-COP

From the photo, it doesn't appear to have a hybrid barrel which seems odd to me. I'm not sure I've ever seen one of their open guns without a hybrid barrel.

I would guess that grips get changed over time. So now you can say you have seen a factory SV with an STI grip. Also the FC group is Brazos.

I would guess that grips get changed over time. So now you can say you have seen a factory SV with an STI grip. Also the FC group is Brazos.

Personally, I'd send Brandon the serial number and have him tell you if it was a gunsmith build or an older Factory gun. brandon@sviguns.com

Personally, I'd send Brandon the serial number and have him tell you if it was a gunsmith build or an older Factory gun. brandon@sviguns.com

+1,

I think what everyone is trying to do, albeit in a very nice way, is say that it may have been a factory gun.... at one point. with the modifications you listed..... it is not really a factory piece. Trigger group, grip, maybe cmore (not a whole lot of SV factory guns with serendipity's on them). With the unknown round count, look for a really good deal.

FWIW the thumb safety, beaver tail, and racker look to be later installs, to my eyes.

Having both commissioned new builds and purchased like new pre-owned open guns I have followed the secondary market for pricing. It appears to be an older base model Infinity with some after build modifications which is fine. That said the most important thing is how it performs. If it meets your expectations as to performance, accuracy, trigger, etc., The market value is in the $2500 range. I know some put a premium on SVI mags but they neither perform better and are no more reliable than STI. New STI mags with Grams guts and Dawson's SNL+1 (or pretty much your basepad of choice) are $104/ea. and they will hold 23 without any problem.

I edited the above to 23 which is correct and what I get in my 9 major and 38SC. Got a little confused as I also shoot limited which does get 20 and when I saw 20 in the original post it triggered the "limited" in me.

One important thing to take into account is that the gun is local and you are not buying a mystery. If you agree on terms I would ask to have the gun for at least 1 day so you can take it to the range and put it through its paces. If it has any significant or endemic issues they should show themselves within a few hundred rounds.

Best of Luck.

Edited by SMS2

Having both commissioned new builds and purchased like new pre-owned open guns I have followed the secondary market for pricing. It appears to be an older base model Infinity with some after build modifications which is fine. That said the most important thing is how it performs. If it meets your expectations as to performance, accuracy, trigger, etc., The market value is in the $2500 range. I know some put a premium on SVI mags but they neither perform better and are no more reliable than STI. New STI mags with Grams guts and Dawson's SNL+1 (or pretty much your basepad of choice) are $104/ea. and they will hold 20 without any problem.

One important thing to take into account is that the gun is local and you are not buying a mystery. If you agree on terms I would ask to have the gun for at least 1 day so you can take it to the range and put it through its paces. If it has any significant or endemic issues they should show themselves within a few hundred rounds.

Best of Luck.

20 is fine for Limited, but you should be getting 23 rounds of 9/38 in a 140mm mag. Thats worth an extra 30 buck to me....or at least it would be if I shot open.. :goof:

I can get 23 9mm in my STI 140's but I had them witnessed at 22 and that's all I load them to for ease of use. Todd Suchy (tjs375) does my mag tuning for me and they have been perfect!

Edited by Sarge

Thanks SMS2 that is what I was looking for. I have run about 300 rds through the pistol and it shoots with no issues. The price is in line with what you have said. I think I am going to get this one in hopes of trading it towards a limited SVI down the road. Maybe I can find a limited shooter looking for an open pistol.

Having both commissioned new builds and purchased like new pre-owned open guns I have followed the secondary market for pricing. It appears to be an older base model Infinity with some after build modifications which is fine. That said the most important thing is how it performs. If it meets your expectations as to performance, accuracy, trigger, etc., The market value is in the $2500 range. I know some put a premium on SVI mags but they neither perform better and are no more reliable than STI. New STI mags with Grams guts and Dawson's SNL+1 (or pretty much your basepad of choice) are $104/ea. and they will hold 20 without any problem.

Best of Luck.

20 is fine for Limited, but you should be getting 23 rounds of 9/38 in a 140mm mag. Thats worth an extra 30 buck to me....or at least it would be if I shot open.. :goof:

I edited the above to 23 which is correct and what I get in my 9 major and 38SC. Got a little confused as I also shoot limited which does get 20 and when I saw 20 in the original post it triggered the "limited" in me. :)

Edited by SMS2

Thanks SMS2 that is what I was looking for. I have run about 300 rds through the pistol and it shoots with no issues. The price is in line with what you have said. I think I am going to get this one in hopes of trading it towards a limited SVI down the road. Maybe I can find a limited shooter looking for an open pistol.

It looks like a very nice gun and glad to hear it performed well.

best of luck

I can't understand why anybody would change SV trigger parts for Brazos unless they were worn out. You need alot more info on the gun before you can establish a price. A good place to start would be Brandon at SV to get an idea of when the gun was built and go from there.

I don't mean to hijack this but have a similar situation and would like some advice.

This is a Fred Craig built F19R with a s/n of 001. It has maybe 50 rounds through it.

There are some pieces avaiable now that would be cool to add but would that hurt the value ?

So does a guy shoot it, update it or trade it ?

post-49095-0-05434800-1388606776_thumb.j

I don't mean to hijack this but have a similar situation and would like some advice.

This is a Fred Craig built F19R with a s/n of 001. It has maybe 50 rounds through it.

There are some pieces avaiable now that would be cool to add but would that hurt the value ?

It is a beautiful gun, with the advent of PT metal grips for S_I frames, the older one piece are going to be a thing of the past. JMHO. Add parts you desire, shoot the thing loose, and retire to back up gun status.

The picture xrrcr posted is of a Caspian framed double stack.

Going price for a Caspian is a bit lower compared to STI/SVI guns.

What parts did you plan on using?

It looks like a perfectly running gun as is.

Maybe a sideways mount or standard mount with a rts but that would expose the mount holes on the right side.

Edited by yoshidaex

What do you mean by update ? I'd shoot it.

Edited by warpspeed

Agreed.

Put an EGW mag well on it, get some mags and tune them up (Caspian has 170mm mags but you have to call and ask), then shoot the snot out of it. It will run with the big dogs. :cheers: